Marky Dread Remasters

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Marky Dread Remasters

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 9:02am
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 8:29am
WestwayKid wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 8:03am
You crazy Brits! I had to do a little research into what it meant to be a Geordie...
I can't understand either of them. Or is it neither of them. :disshame:
It's a tough accent to understand! I've always found it fascinating that we all speak the same language - yet there are dialects that sound foreign to us.

Thanks for the new live set, by the way. Can't wait to get home and check it out!! Crazy to think the Clash once played in Akron - which might be the Rubber Capital of the World - but is still a pretty small town.
Even English people have trouble understanding it, you're not alone...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

white man wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 9:11am
57 in April :meh: Never knew you were Tynesider by birth JH. Love how this thread veers off at times then comes back with a boom.
Well done Marky, once again.
Cheers mate. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Last edited by Marky Dread on 19 Jan 2021, 12:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 12:02pm
I hope you realise Marky's playing with dynamite...

This one was kindly uploaded for me from our friend sonnyburnit. It was available on Dime-a-Dozen and it's a soundboard live matrix with part of the last track "1999" coming from an alternate audience source. I've noticed also on the "Some BAD" page that Tappy has also uploaded this show although I don't know if it's the soundboard or audience version or this matrix.

Anyhow I've worked my ususal touch and it's a great show with really great sound.

https://mega.nz/#!DlNwkSBa!fmS6Q-di68I_ ... QZ_V-iR3pY
Once again Marky, and I almost missed the Akron posting, so thanks for that too.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

dave202 wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 1:12pm
Marky Dread wrote:

This one was kindly uploaded for me from our friend sonnyburnit. It was available on Dime-a-Dozen and it's a soundboard live matrix with part of the last track "1999" coming from an alternate audience source. I've noticed also on the "Some BAD" page that Tappy has also uploaded this show although I don't know if it's the soundboard or audience version or this matrix.

Anyhow I've worked my ususal touch and it's a great show with really great sound.

https://mega.nz/#!DlNwkSBa!fmS6Q-di68I_ ... QZ_V-iR3pY
Once again Marky, and I almost missed the Akron posting, so thanks for that too.
Nice one Dave. Glad you got the Akron gig.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

esmark
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by esmark »

Marky Dread wrote:

Thanks again Marky. Great work!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

esmark wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 3:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:

Thanks again Marky. Great work!
Cheers ee many more to come.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Santa Cruz is a great show, You've made it just a little bit better! I've never heard the straight soundboard recording. I actually like those dry soundboard recordings

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Listening carefully to Akron's concert (17-8-82) on Straight To Hell, there are percussion effects, I do not remember hearing them on othes versions in
dates of the same period. Can you explain the origin? :?:
Music is the only thing that matters

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Red Angel wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 3:36pm
Listening carefully to Akron's concert (17-8-82) on Straight To Hell, there are percussion effects, I do not remember hearing them on othes versions in
Don't really know mate to be honest. But I expect it's a use of echo and reverb on Terry's drums. Nothing to do with me or any mix I did. The only other thing I can think of is maybe someone else is also playing a set of toms.

Matedog is the forums best guy to ask about drums.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 4:36pm
Red Angel wrote:
Don't really know mate to be honest. But I expect it's a use of echo and reverb on Terry's drums. Nothing to do with me or any mix I did. The only other thing I can think of is maybe someone else is also playing a set of toms.

I saw The Clash in Edinburgh, and Strummer seemed to have a bottle - being Scottish I hope it was Irn Bru - wrapped in a towel, and thumped the bass drum with it. This was the re-scheduled gig after his Paris marathon and Terry was the drummer. A snake dancer as the support act was a nice act!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

dave202 wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 4:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 4:36pm
Red Angel wrote:

I saw The Clash in Edinburgh, and Strummer seemed to have a bottle - being Scottish I hope it was Irn Bru - wrapped in a towel, and thumped the bass drum with it. This was the re-scheduled gig after his Paris marathon and Terry was the drummer. A snake dancer as the support act was a nice act!
Yep the same trick he used when they recorded the studio version only Topper claims it to be an R. Whites Lemonade bottle. Which always made me smile as it was Costello and his Dad singing on the advert back in the day.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

ic1960
Dirty Punk

Post by ic1960 »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 12:21pm
B.A.D. - Sheffield Leadmill, Sheffield, UK. 07-10-84 [3].jpgSo until we can find out a definite answer to when the first gig took place. Best have another remaster. The sound of this one is really good.

Sheffield Leadmill, Sheffield, UK. 1st October 1984.

https://mega.nz/#!v1MWWCKK!sMWuObgJFeir ... qqjJoa3I9A
Having just caught up on this enormous thread (and before I go on thanks for all the awesome time and effort that has gone into these remasters) can I just confirm that I saw BAD at Sheffield Leadmill on 7 October 1984 (supporting the Alarm) and indeed recorded the show myself....and I still have my master cassette in one of my boxes. Not exactly sure whether circulating versions derive from my recording or not. But it was always my understanding that this Sheffield gig was preceded only by a show the previous night in Manchester (probably the International). I am just downloading from the link provided to have a listen to a show I haven't heard for quite a lot of years!

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

ic1960 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 6:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 12:21pm
B.A.D. - Sheffield Leadmill, Sheffield, UK. 07-10-84 [3].jpgSo until we can find out a definite answer to when the first gig took place. Best have another remaster. The sound of this one is really good.

Sheffield Leadmill, Sheffield, UK. 1st October 1984.

https://mega.nz/#!v1MWWCKK!sMWuObgJFeir ... qqjJoa3I9A
Having just caught up on this enormous thread (and before I go on thanks for all the awesome time and effort that has gone into these remasters) can I just confirm that I saw BAD at Sheffield Leadmill on 7 October 1984 (supporting the Alarm) and indeed recorded the show myself....and I still have my master cassette in one of my boxes. Not exactly sure whether circulating versions derive from my recording or not. But it was always my understanding that this Sheffield gig was preceded only by a show the previous night in Manchester (probably the International). I am just downloading from the link provided to have a listen to a show I haven't heard for quite a lot of years!

22.11 The International, Manchester
23.11 The Leadmill, Sheffield
24.11 The Warehouse, Leeds
26.11 Powerhouse Ballroom, Birmingham
27.11 Rock City, Nottingham
28.11 Town & Country Club, Kentish Town, London
10.12 The Metro, Boston, USA
13.12 The World, NYC, USA

Above from Esmark's site. Looks like you might have the 1985 show recorded, not the 1984 one?

ic1960
Dirty Punk

Post by ic1960 »

There is absolutely no doubt about it. The BAD gig was 7 October 1984 and I heard on the night that they had played their first ever gig the night before in Manchester. It was billed as a secret gig although the local Sheffield paper (the Star) ran a brief story in its Saturday entertainment guide tipping people off that Mick Jones new band was going to turn up and support the Alarm on the Sunday night. Even on the night it was not very clear what the name of the band was although people were suggesting BAD without knowing what it stood for, if anything. That date cannot be wrong - I started going to gigs in 1977 and have been to over 1,000, and I have a book listing every single band I have seen including supports by date and venue. So whatever records exist online I know the date is correct as I wrote it on my master cassette and in my book.