London SS

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: London SS

Post by white man »

Flex wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 11:24am
white man wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 9:55am
Him and Idol have been putting a Gen X package together for new year release.
London SS tapes aside, this is great news (which may not be news to others, but certainly the first I'm hearing of it).
https://www.lostinvinyl.org/preorder-re ... tqTqlstWwY

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

white man wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 12:44pm
Flex wrote:
white man wrote:
London SS tapes aside, this is great news (which may not be news to others, but certainly the first I'm hearing of it).
Hopefully it'll get a cd release also. Looking forward to hearing the demos and alt versions.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 1:32pm
white man wrote:
Flex wrote:
white man wrote:
Hopefully it'll get a cd release also. Looking forward to hearing the demos and alt versions.
I don’t know Gen X catalogue well enough, could some of these demos be pre Gen X with Mick?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 3:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
white man wrote:
Flex wrote:
white man wrote:
I don’t know Gen X catalogue well enough, could some of these demos be pre Gen X with Mick?
No just Generation X stuff.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 5:17pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
white man wrote:
Flex wrote:

So the SS tracks mentioned earlier ever materialised?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 8:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
It's my understanding they have been remastered with the Generation X material. However there was never any intention of releasing them with Generation X material. Why would they as they simply don't belong together.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 9:35pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

It's my understanding they have been remastered with the Generation X material. However there was never any intention of releasing them with Generation X material. Why would they as they simply don't belong together.
Because I got about 3 threads and Tony J interview confused :huh:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 9:54pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

No worries. I would guess if they ever saw the light it would be as a stand alone release. I mean where do those tracks really belong The Clash? Generation X? The Damned? The Boys? Who is on them other than Tony and Mick. I guess as Mick has the rights to them ( I believe) if they ever got released (which I seriously doubt) they could be on a Mick Jones box set. Something I would seriously love to see.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 10:00pm
101Walterton wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 9:54pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

No worries. I would guess if they ever saw the light it would be as a stand alone release. I mean where do those tracks really belong The Clash? Generation X? The Damned? The Boys? Who is on them other than Tony and Mick. I guess as Mick has the rights to them ( I believe) if they ever got released (which I seriously doubt) they could be on a Mick Jones box set. Something I would seriously love to see.
Mick Jones 001
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

A sidetrack, but Mick told me the other day that Guy Stevens designed a promo visual for Violent Luck (a name he of course came up with) using the photo of James Dean getting all drenched by the spurting new oil well he dug in Giant. Violent Luck.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 6:33pm
A sidetrack, but Mick told me the other day that Guy Stevens designed a promo visual for Violent Luck (a name he of course came up with) using the photo of James Dean getting all drenched by the spurting new oil well he dug in Giant. Violent Luck.
Brilliant.

Check your PMs.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

more and more, those london ss tapes are turning out to be one of the last great missing pieces of early punk rock history. i mean (and this is a genuine question, i don't do a very good job keeping this stuff straight in my head), what else is left of similar historical importance in terms of 70s punk?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 7:47pm
more and more, those london ss tapes are turning out to be one of the last great missing pieces of early punk rock history. i mean (and this is a genuine question, i don't do a very good job keeping this stuff straight in my head), what else is left of similar historical importance in terms of 70s punk?
Not very much really left that's not been bootlegged or officially released over the years. One interesting artifact maybe whether the backing tracks that The Clash laid down in Maida Vale for the John Peel session still exist. John Waters said they definitely laid down a couple of backing tracks before walking out of the session.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 7:59pm
Flex wrote:
Not very much really left that's not been bootlegged or officially released over the years. One interesting artifact maybe whether the backing tracks that The Clash laid down in Maida Vale for the John Peel session still exist. John Waters said they definitely laid down a couple of backing tracks before walking out of the session.
Eh? What/when?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 9:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 7:59pm
Flex wrote:
Eh? What/when?
Peel and Waters have both claimed the band laid down something before they walked out. The engineer is not so sure and the band don't seem to know too much either.

One attempt, scheduled for 24 April 1978, was abandoned. Peel noted in his diary the circumstances surrounding this: "They actually got as far as recording the backing tracks, but then they were so out of their heads they couldn't finish it, and decided the BBC's equipment wasn't good enough. It was one of those things where you thought: How do you argue with stupidity on this level? Not a very punk attitude, I thought.

However, Ken Garner's The Peel Sessions contains an anecdote by Bill Aitken, the engineer on that date, which casts doubt on Peel's recollection. Aitken suggests that, when he inquired after Topper Headon's dog, the rest of the band made fun of Headon because of this. The session then became increasingly negative and was finally cancelled by the group.

In an interview for BBC6Music broadcast in October 2013 the three remaining members of The Clash - Mick Jones, Paul Simonon and Topper Headon recalled the session:

"It didn't work, so we just walked out and left it, it didn't sound any good," says Topper. "It was us, I'm sure," says Mick, magnanimously. "Speak for yourself," retorts Topper. "John Peel never forgave us.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia