Association Football Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 3:59pm
101Walterton wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 3:01pm
Low Down Low wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 9:12am
Excellent post 101. Agree on nearly everything there. I think a lot of the football media have a vested interest in making the game seem more complex and sophisticated than it is and can’t blame them in one way as writing the same article over and over about Jose Mourinho must get deadly tiresome after a while.

For me the last significant tactical innovation was tiki taka which some loved and others found boring. As for klopps “gegenpressing” that’s been in football for decades. In his own way Jack Charlton did it with ireland in the 1980s and it was regarded as a caveman approach at the time.
Tiki Taka is just a variant of Ajax’s ‘total football’ that Cruyff took to Barcelona. Guardiola just expanded on it to make the most of the technically gifted players he had that weren’t physically imposing (Xavi and Iniesta) but keep possession.
Yes that’s certainly true. I’d still say it was innovative on lots of levels though and if you were being pedantic about it you’d say total football was a variant of styles that had preceded it too. The burnley team of the 60s was supposedly a forerunner of Ajax 70s team but I can’t personally vouch for the veracity of that!
Exactly, watch Leeds in early 70’s. Kill you to get the ball then not give it back. They are all just ways of playing to get the most out of the players you have not reinventing the wheel.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 5:19pm
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Excellent post 101. Agree on nearly everything there. I think a lot of the football media have a vested interest in making the game seem more complex and sophisticated than it is and can’t blame them in one way as writing the same article over and over about Jose Mourinho must get deadly tiresome after a while.

For me the last significant tactical innovation was tiki taka which some loved and others found boring. As for klopps “gegenpressing” that’s been in football for decades. In his own way Jack Charlton did it with ireland in the 1980s and it was regarded as a caveman approach at the time.
Tiki Taka is just a variant of Ajax’s ‘total football’ that Cruyff took to Barcelona. Guardiola just expanded on it to make the most of the technically gifted players he had that weren’t physically imposing (Xavi and Iniesta) but keep possession.
Yes that’s certainly true. I’d still say it was innovative on lots of levels though and if you were being pedantic about it you’d say total football was a variant of styles that had preceded it too. The burnley team of the 60s was supposedly a forerunner of Ajax 70s team but I can’t personally vouch for the veracity of that!
Exactly, watch Leeds in early 70’s. Kill you to get the ball then not give it back. They are all just ways of playing to get the most out of the players you have not reinventing the wheel.
Ah yes, fond memories. Mighty/dirty (delete as appropriate) Leeds of the 70s and their 5000 passes against the poor hapless saints. Total underachievers but a great team nonetheless.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 5:38pm
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Ah yes, fond memories. Mighty/dirty (delete as appropriate) Leeds of the 70s and their 5000 passes against the poor hapless saints. Total underachievers but a great team nonetheless.
Until they met the mighty Sunderland in 1973.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 10:11am
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

I'll never get bored of watching this.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 10:28am
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Let's not forget the great 2-1 win against Arsenal in the semis.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Me neither!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 10:37am
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Me neither!
That game was a little before my time but it’s hard to explain to kids now just how special the fa cup was back then. Along with the grand national they were probably the two biggest sporting days of the year for me. They churn out these cliches nowadays about the romance of the cup but they’re pretty meaningless far as I’m concerned. The year United sat it out was just about the last blow for a once mighty institution imo.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 5:03am
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Me neither!
That game was a little before my time but it’s hard to explain to kids now just how special the fa cup was back then. Along with the grand national they were probably the two biggest sporting days of the year for me. They churn out these cliches nowadays about the romance of the cup but they’re pretty meaningless far as I’m concerned. The year United sat it out was just about the last blow for a once mighty institution imo.
Couldn't agree more.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 5:31am
Low Down Low wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Me neither!
Couldn't agree more.
Yep cup final day was a very special day. I may be wrong but I remember all day leading up to kick off was about the final, Saturday morning TV, It’s A Knockout, football quizzes??
1976 cup final I cried my eyes out 😢

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 6:09am
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Me neither!
Couldn't agree more.
Yep cup final day was a very special day. I may be wrong but I remember all day leading up to kick off was about the final, Saturday morning TV, It’s A Knockout, football quizzes??
Yeah the build up began early morning and it seemed the whole day revolved around the cup final. First i really recall vividly is 79, not even sure it was a great match but epic finish. Liam Brady was a football genius!

My personal favorite FA Cup memory is Leeds v Arsenal 3rd round 1990/91 season. Went to two replays, 3 epic encounters that were full blooded wars, no players rested for important league matches, just all out gut bursting effort to get to the next round. A memory of its time.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Me neither!
Couldn't agree more.
Saints preserve us! :mrgreen: We were just waiting for the ultimate F.A. Cup final. In 1977 Wally & Marky went to heaven. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

1977 is the first final I can remember but the 1979 final was the one that really stuck in my mind as a kid. Alan Sunderland's goal was replayed by me for 3 hours afterwards kicking a ball against the wall outside my house. The 81 final replay was another memorable one. Ricky Villa!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 7:15am
1977 is the first final I can remember but the 1979 final was the one that really stuck in my mind as a kid. Alan Sunderland's goal was replayed by me for 3 hours afterwards kicking a ball against the wall outside my house. The 81 final replay was another memorable one. Ricky Villa!
Oh the heartache worse than a Bonnie Tyler record! I should've known something was a miss with a guy playing for Arsenal called "Sunderland". :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 6:58am
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Heston wrote:

Me neither!
Couldn't agree more.
Saints preserve us! :mrgreen: We were just waiting for the ultimate F.A. Cup final. In 1977 Wally & Marky went to heaven. ;)
Yep 1977 was very special after what happened the year before and of course against the all conquering Liverpool team.
1979 was a roller coaster. That brilliant Sammy McIlroy goal is forgotten in history because of what happened at the end.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I thought United was a circus before Mourihno was sacked but Chelsea WTF!!!
They can hide behind misunderstanding all they want but it is not fooling anyone. I believe Kapa thought it was an injury sub but Sarri wanted to make tactical change to bring on better penalty keeper. What was the captain doing, what was the experienced players like Luis doing why did no one listen to or even talk to their coach?
#deadmanwalking