The Trump observations thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by WestwayKid »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 1:34pm
This one may actually add up to something. I'm uncharacteristically optimistic.
I think we all are. I know I've had so many "this is finally it" moments that I've gotten pessimistic, but Cohen is doing a good job of holding his own. He's painting a picture of a very bad man in Trump and he's making his GOP attackers look pretty down foolish. The exchange with Meadows was priceless! Leave it to the GOP to trot out a token African-American for the sole purpose of refuting Cohen's testimony that Trump is racist. The old "black friend" defense. Cohen's response was perfect.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 1:41pm
Silent Majority wrote:
I think we all are. I know I've had so many "this is finally it" moments that I've gotten pessimistic, but Cohen is doing a good job of holding his own. He's painting a picture of a very bad man in Trump and he's making his GOP attackers look pretty down foolish. The exchange with Meadows was priceless! Leave it to the GOP to trot out a token African-American for the sole purpose of refuting Cohen's testimony that Trump is racist. The old "black friend" defense. Cohen's response was perfect.
Form your mouth to Cthulu's ears.

How many generations is it going to take to recover from this?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 1:43pm
WestwayKid wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 1:41pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Form your mouth to Cthulu's ears.

How many generations is it going to take to recover from this?
Get yourself President Chelsea Clinton and it'll all be fine. (Inside the DNC, ears start burning.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

cohen is holding his own but none of this is going to make a difference
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

If they flip Roger Stone (who's dumb enough and arrogant enough to perjure in exactly the manner that Mueller has been making best use of) then they'll be evidence enough for a Dem senate to impeach in '21.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Flex wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 1:55pm
I'd like to be optimistic, but I agree.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Perhaps, but why would the right work so hard at discrediting him then? There's clearly a theatre aspect to it all, as well as instinctual tribalism, but to think that it has zero substantial value seems overly cynical.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 2:18pm
Flex wrote:
Perhaps, but why would the right work so hard at discrediting him then? There's clearly a theatre aspect to it all, as well as instinctual tribalism, but to think that it has zero substantial value seems overly cynical.
I would guess that perhaps the right actually does think something could happen, but we all know it won't.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 3:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 2:18pm
Flex wrote:
I would guess that perhaps the right actually does think something could happen, but we all know it won't.
Well, the thing is that, historically, momentous things tend to have a drip drip drip quality where it seems like it has no effect, that the status quo will be able to ride it out. Then, seemingly all at once, shit comes crashing down. History's use is going back and seeing what we missed in real time, and it's usually that the structures were a lot more rotten (weak, that is, not evil; tho they're also evil) than people ever let themselves believe. Which is another way of saying that we're generally pretty shitty at reading the tea leaves. The other, more personal thing for me is a conscious effort at being less cynical towards possibilities. One of the worst things that ever happened to the left was letting academics and theorists have too much input. It's overly analytical and creates a sense of futility. I really want to believe in a more romantic view of the possibility of change, one that inspired people before World War II.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

matedog wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 12:58pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 12:28pm
matedog wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 12:15pm
These Republicans bending over backwards for the president in this testimony is not going to age well.
Here is what I want to hear:
Republican goon, "You're a lying, liar who lies. What kind of man are you?"
Cohen, "Trump's kind of man!"
Stephen Lynch sounds like your kind of guy.
I’m in his district! He’s a machine guy and can be difficult to like most of the time but he did right today.

I’m moving to Dorchester or Jamaica Plain in May which will put me Ayanna Presley’s turf which I’m happy about.

Flex

Post by Flex »

i just think most of how much any of this will matter is predicated on the Dems retaking the senate in 2020, which they most likely won't

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The other thing to wonder about is those bankrolling the Republicans. Is there a point where they, in effect, let their elected servants know that it's time to cut him loose?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 3:33pm
The other thing to wonder about is those bankrolling the Republicans. Is there a point where they, in effect, let their elected servants know that it's time to cut him loose?
One would think so. Those bankrolling the GOP are doing it (obviously) because they're getting a return on their investment. The tipping point must be when Brand Trump is no longer profitable. I think we must have reached that point, but apparently not. Do they still see value in his base? Are they afraid of drawing the ire of people like Sean Hannity (who have influence over GOP voters)? I feel they have more to lose if they alienate 2016 Trump supporters who are not also Kool-Aid drinkers - which to me would mean they need to start cutting their losses.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

So what do people think are the chances that Trump accepts a loss in 2020 without trying to invoke some emergeny powers? And if it is the case that hes not willing to give up power what is the likelihood that a majority of the Republicans in Congress don't continue to back him?

My wife who grew up under dictatorship) has been saying all along that Trump won't surrender power if he loses. I initially sort of laughed it off but I'm not sure she's wrong anymore and I'm reasonably sure most of the Republicans in Congress will stand by him.

Flex

Post by Flex »

I think he's probably going to be reelected, but if he does lose I suspect he steps down after a bunch of lunatic bluster. Actually seizing power as a dictator smacks of effort, and Trump is fundamentally lazy and senile. Maybe if other people around him want it to happen, I guess it could go down.

Pex Lives!