Help Please

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
101Walterton
The Best

Re: Help Please

Post by 101Walterton »

white man wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 12:10pm
WestwayKid wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 8:24am
Kory wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 12:26am
Wally, let me know if WK's try is satisfactory, and I'll just wait to see if there's a hi-res version of the backing image. WK, I had some decent results scaling up with bicubic smooth, but I agree that "presents" bit is going to be a problem no matter what. It's just too small.
I started with scaling up with bicubic smooth, but I felt it still didn't look great - so I ran it through a couple of filters: despeckle to reduce some of the artifacts and then diffuse anisotropic to counterbalance some of the smoothing. I still wasn't sure if I liked it - so ran an unsharpen mask and then added some noise back in. Final step was to create an duplicate layer and run a high pass to pull out some of the background detail - I though that would maybe sharpen up some of the text when I blended it back together. I might play with a few of the filter settings to see if I can clean it up a bit more.
That's exactly what i would have done ;)
Is the Catholic priest a Paedophile? how else would you do it :mrgreen:
Seriously though WK that’s great work thanks mate.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 2:25pm
I also corrected the color. I found a couple of other versions of the poster and they seemed to lean more red than orange.
Looks amazing and yes the original was very dark red not orange at all.

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

101Walterton wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 2:45pm
white man wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wally, let me know if WK's try is satisfactory, and I'll just wait to see if there's a hi-res version of the backing image. WK, I had some decent results scaling up with bicubic smooth, but I agree that "presents" bit is going to be a problem no matter what. It's just too small.
I started with scaling up with bicubic smooth, but I felt it still didn't look great - so I ran it through a couple of filters: despeckle to reduce some of the artifacts and then diffuse anisotropic to counterbalance some of the smoothing. I still wasn't sure if I liked it - so ran an unsharpen mask and then added some noise back in. Final step was to create an duplicate layer and run a high pass to pull out some of the background detail - I though that would maybe sharpen up some of the text when I blended it back together. I might play with a few of the filter settings to see if I can clean it up a bit more.
I wouldn't have started with scaling up with bicubic smooth but the rest sounds reasonable :mrgreen:
Joining the Street Parade

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Great work by the Kid. I'm tempted to get this one done myself.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

deny wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 3:06pm
101Walterton wrote:
white man wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
I wouldn't have started with scaling up with bicubic smooth but the rest sounds reasonable :mrgreen:
Sometimes I go with nearest neighbor instead of smooth, but it depends on what I'm trying to scale.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 4:28pm
deny wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
white man wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Sometimes I go with nearest neighbor instead of smooth, but it depends on what I'm trying to scale.
I don't know if I've ever used nearest neighbor. What types of scaling do you find to be effective for?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I was going to post a download link so that anyone could grab it - but then realized I left the file on my laptop...on my desk...at work.

So - I will get it uploaded tomorrow morning!! Stay tuned!!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

First time I've tried this - so hope the link works!

https://mega.nz/#!wsJXVSSK!oU7crDKpHHFf ... TFRYUzzT1U

If you do want to get this printed out - it is print ready. Ideal size for a poster would be 28"w x 22"h. Most print shops (such as FedEx Office) would just need the PDF to create the poster.

My one caveat is that there is a little risk involved. Until it gets printed out in large scale - there's no way of knowing how good (or bad) it might look. If we were dealing with an image that was originally high resolution I wouldn't worry - but because the original image required a bit of work - I just want to put this out there as a consideration before anyone spends any money getting it printed. I think it should be okay - but just something to think about. Maybe just ask the printer about it before they go ahead and print.
Last edited by WestwayKid on 01 Mar 2019, 11:31am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 11:14am

https://mega.nz/#!wsJXVSSK

If you do want to get this printed out - it is print ready. Ideal size for a poster would be 28"w x 22"h. Most print shops (such as FedEx Office) would just need the PDF to create the poster.

My one caveat is that there is a little risk involved. Until it gets printed out in large scale - there's no way of knowing how good (or bad) it might look. If we were dealing with an image that was originally high resolution I wouldn't worry - but because the original image required a bit of work - I just want to put this out there as a consideration before anyone spends any money getting it printed. I think it should be okay - but just something to think about. Maybe just ask the printer about it before they go ahead and print.
Thanks, man! But your link doesn't include the decryption key. Mega gives you the option of two links, with and without the decryption key embedded. So you either need the longer link or just add to your post the key. Mega offers that extra security, but its links are less conventional than other services.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 11:22am
WestwayKid wrote:

Thanks, man! But your link doesn't include the decryption key. Mega gives you the option of two links, with and without the decryption key embedded. So you either need the longer link or just add to your post the key. Mega offers that extra security, but its links are less conventional than other services.
Good to know! I've updated the link - think it should now work.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 11:31am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 11:22am
WestwayKid wrote:

Good to know! I've updated the link - think it should now work.
Yup—works perfectly. Again, thanks for your efforts!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Thanks mate. Would love this framed at some point in the future.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 8:55pm
Kory wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 4:28pm
deny wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
white man wrote:

I don't know if I've ever used nearest neighbor. What types of scaling do you find to be effective for?
Preserving edges in pixel art. Most of my design is web-based these days.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

this thread title is the subtext of every thread here
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 1:26pm
this thread title is the subtext of every thread here
I was hoping for a mash-up of Help and Please Please Me. Alas....

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia