Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Should I go see Gang if Four on Tuesday?
Attachments
2872AF63-86CE-40EB-AE69-74341C65BD3F.png

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 2:01am
Pervert!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 2:27am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Pervert!
I know, but should I see Gang of Four?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 2:29am
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 2:27am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Pervert!
I know, but should I see Gang of Four?
You disgust me! Fuck yeah you should go mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

coffeepotman wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 11:02pm
This is such a charged topic, even conversation about it with my wife is difficult. A crime is a crime but what are crimes now were not seen as crimes then and that is wrong.
It really is. I've been discussing it with my girlfriend and we both have similar opinions - but we're coming at it from different angles. I'm a Ryan Adams fan and she is not. I'm trying to hold a hard line around his behavior, yet also trying to be nuanced because I want to understand his behavior in the context of the bigger picture. It's a little more black and white for her because she doesn't have an emotional investment. If anything - I hope the Ryan Adams story is the story that shakes some of this loose. I'd imagine that 70's groupie mentality is still alive within rock music. I believe toxic masculinity is all over music, too.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Listening to Ultravox recently. Starting with the John Foxx version - they had a really good run of albums all the way through the Midge Ure-fronted Lament in 1984. U-Vox in 1986 was not good, however. The drop in quality is pretty glaring. They then had a couple of albums with some unknown lead singers - all forgettable. The "classic" lineup then reunited in 2012 for the Brilliant LP - which was very so-so in my opinion. Just very interesting how a band can have a string of really good albums and then just apparently "lose it" - never to get it back.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Sort of like a certain band we all hate so much that we can't stop talking about them

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 1:28pm
Listening to Ultravox recently. Starting with the John Foxx version - they had a really good run of albums all the way through the Midge Ure-fronted Lament in 1984. U-Vox in 1986 was not good, however. The drop in quality is pretty glaring. They then had a couple of albums with some unknown lead singers - all forgettable. The "classic" lineup then reunited in 2012 for the Brilliant LP - which was very so-so in my opinion. Just very interesting how a band can have a string of really good albums and then just apparently "lose it" - never to get it back.
Yep I agree with all the above. There are some really great tracks all through the Midge albums except U.Vox which is dire. All the Foxx stuff is excellent. As are his first few solo outings.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 1:48pm
WestwayKid wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 1:28pm
Yep I agree with all the above. There are some really great tracks all through the Midge albums except U.Vox which is dire. All the Foxx stuff is excellent. As are his first few solo outings.
Put me in that bracket too. I prefer John Foxx ultravox though they did some good stuff with sure too.

A lot of bands in that category I’d say, only so much you can say, so many tunes you can concoct using the same basic formula. I’m probably the only Proclaimers fan on here, started off with 3 very good albums (one of them a classic) and have spent the years since making inferior copies of earlier stuff. U2 also fit the bill for me though the millions who lap up every new release might not concur with that.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Lots of bands suddenly turned shit in the mid 80s. I blame production methods and cocaine.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

coffeepotman wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 1:40pm
Sort of like a certain band we all hate so much that we can't stop talking about them
The Clash or KISS?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 2:31pm
Lots of bands suddenly turned shit in the mid 80s. I blame production methods and cocaine.
Or some bands—most, probably—don't have a deep well of creativity to draw from. Two albums in and they've done all they can.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 2:42pm
Heston wrote:
Or some bands—most, probably—don't have a deep well of creativity to draw from. Two albums in and they've done all they can.
OMD are another good example. Crush was a marked downtown in quality and they really didn't bounce back until English Electric in 2013. Their first 5 LP's are fantastic and then they just lost it and I would chalk some of that up to production methods and cocaine.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Heston wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 2:33pm
coffeepotman wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 1:40pm
The Clash or KISS?
Well actually, both

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
I blame it all on learning a fourth chord.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia