Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 7:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 7:12pm
revbob wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 7:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 5:52pm
I'v got an electrical mystery for y'all. My office has one of those track lighting rods on the ceiling, with slots for six bulbs (the kind with flat surface, two pins as connectors). It's also got a four-setting dimmer switch (off, low, medium, high). The bulbs were halogen, which used a lot of juice, burned out easily, and ran really hot. I was out getting bulbs for something else when I saw LEDs for that kind, so I picked up a pack and started replacing the old ones. All was going well, taking out a halogen and replacing it with an LED one by one, until I got to the last one. Once I replaced that, the entire string lit up on low despite the switch being off. The only way I could get it back to the off setting was by putting back one halogen. My thinking is that it's dimmer related, but the dimmer function does work—the LEDs' intensity alters as the switch changes. I'm baffled why putting in all LEDs negates the off setting but one halogen restores it. Thoughts?
Im not entirely sure I understand the situation. Can you turn the dimmer up all the way and bring allthe LEDs to full power? Are the LED bulbs you have "dimmable"? They aren't by default. In order to handle the variable current they would usually have some extra electronics in them. There are dimmer switches that are specifically designed to use with LED bulbs too. It sounds like even when "off" there is a trickle of current which is enough to power the LEDs. Putting the halogen in creates enough load that there's not enough power at the low setting.
Yup, altering the dimmer settings increases or decreases the intensity of the LEDs. The switch would have been installed before LEDs were on the market (or at least common). Your point does make sense, that there is no real off, but only super low current that is enough for LEDs but not when there's a juice-hungry halogen in the string. Thanks!
I would suggest your track is installed with a power gain higher than the usual 230V to run all the previous halogens and as the LEDs don't require any more than the standard 230V the track is producing too much voltage and thus requires one of the Halogens to keep the voltage relevant.
Okay, that all makes sense. As I mentioned, it was installed before LEDs were common—before we bought the house almost five years ago. I assumed that the "off" on the dimmer was a true break of the circuit, but clearly it ain't. Thanks so much.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 7:51pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 5:52pm
I'v got an electrical mystery for y'all. My office has one of those track lighting rods on the ceiling, with slots for six bulbs (the kind with flat surface, two pins as connectors). It's also got a four-setting dimmer switch (off, low, medium, high). The bulbs were halogen, which used a lot of juice, burned out easily, and ran really hot. I was out getting bulbs for something else when I saw LEDs for that kind, so I picked up a pack and started replacing the old ones. All was going well, taking out a halogen and replacing it with an LED one by one, until I got to the last one. Once I replaced that, the entire string lit up on low despite the switch being off. The only way I could get it back to the off setting was by putting back one halogen. My thinking is that it's dimmer related, but the dimmer function does work—the LEDs' intensity alters as the switch changes. I'm baffled why putting in all LEDs negates the off setting but one halogen restores it. Thoughts?
Im not entirely sure I understand the situation. Can you turn the dimmer up all the way and bring allthe LEDs to full power? Are the LED bulbs you have "dimmable"? They aren't by default. In order to handle the variable current they would usually have some extra electronics in them. There are dimmer switches that are specifically designed to use with LED bulbs too. It sounds like even when "off" there is a trickle of current which is enough to power the LEDs. Putting the halogen in creates enough load that there's not enough power at the low setting.
Yup, altering the dimmer settings increases or decreases the intensity of the LEDs. The switch would have been installed before LEDs were on the market (or at least common). Your point does make sense, that there is no real off, but only super low current that is enough for LEDs but not when there's a juice-hungry halogen in the string. Thanks!
I would suggest your track is installed with a power gain higher than the usual 230V to run all the previous halogens and as the LEDs don't require any more than the standard 230V the track is producing too much voltage and thus requires one of the Halogens to keep the voltage relevant.
Okay, that all makes sense. As I mentioned, it was installed before LEDs were common—before we bought the house almost five years ago. I assumed that the "off" on the dimmer was a true break of the circuit, but clearly it ain't. Thanks so much.
"Return of the Lighty Observation Thread" ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 7:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I'm quite pleased at how quickly the mystery was solved. I honestly had no clue what the hell was going on. Added shame: my dad was an electrician. If there's an afterlife, he's pretending I'm the milkman's kid.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 8:11pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm quite pleased at how quickly the mystery was solved. I honestly had no clue what the hell was going on. Added shame: my dad was an electrician. If there's an afterlife, he's pretending I'm the milkman's kid.
:lol:

I had to make a promise to my mum never to be an electrician or someone who works with electricity. Due to my dad being electrocuted. Maybe I could've turned out better. :disshame:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 8:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I had to make a promise to my mum never to be an electrician or someone who works with electricity. Due to my dad being electrocuted. Maybe I could've turned out better. :disshame:
Oh crap. :sad: I remember so many of my friends in university who mocked those from high school who went to a trade school. It wasn't for me, but even back then I thought those guys were choosing the more solid career path. No such thing as an unemployed plumber or electrician.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 8:30pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Oh crap. :sad: I remember so many of my friends in university who mocked those from high school who went to a trade school. It wasn't for me, but even back then I thought those guys were choosing the more solid career path. No such thing as an unemployed plumber or electrician.
I did choose a trade when I left school which is Wood Machinist which I took an apprenticeship in and passed with distinction. Trouble being where I live in the south of this blighted isle all the wood machining factories and workshops closed down fairly quickly when the big D.I.Y. merchants moved in and made things easier for people. Hence I became a postman then a security guard/supervisor which is the last refuge of the bluffer. I'm currently not working due to my health issues but as soon as I get my move sorted which is just over the horizon I will be looking to get myself back into some form of employment.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 8:37pm
I did choose a trade when I left school which is Wood Machinist which I took an apprenticeship in and passed with distinction. Trouble being where I live in the south of this blighted isle all the wood machining factories and workshops closed down fairly quickly when the big D.I.Y. merchants moved in and made things easier for people. Hence I became a postman then a security guard/supervisor which is the last refuge of the bluffer. I'm currently not working due to my health issues but as soon as I get my move sorted which is just over the horizon I will be looking to get myself back into some form of employment.
FIngers and toes crossed for you, bud. My dad loathed places like Home Depot because he saw them as taking food out of the mouths of tradesmen. He was right, of course, but that's neoliberalism for you. As much as I feel like less of a man when I hire pros to do various shit around the house, I try to remember my dad's argument.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 8:45pm
Marky Dread wrote:
FIngers and toes crossed for you, bud. My dad loathed places like Home Depot because he saw them as taking food out of the mouths of tradesmen. He was right, of course, but that's neoliberalism for you. As much as I feel like less of a man when I hire pros to do various shit around the house, I try to remember my dad's argument.
Thanks mate it's appreciated. Yeah I get your dad's frustration at places like Home depot etc. Food out of the mouths of tradesman but food in the belly's of shelf stackers etc. I still have mixed feelings.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 8:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Thanks mate it's appreciated. Yeah I get your dad's frustration at places like Home depot etc. Food out of the mouths of tradesman but food in the belly's of shelf stackers etc. I still have mixed feelings.
Capitalism makes us all traitors to each other.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I have a background in electronics and computers. I stick to the safe stuff these days. I used work around/with high voltage. I've had some close calls and a few bites but always hated working with it live. I have a buddy who is an electrician I hire him for anything above changing a switch, outlet or fixture. He works live all the time, as I think most electricians do and it scares me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 9:26pm
I have a background in electronics and computers. I stick to the safe stuff these days. I used work around/with high voltage. I've had some close calls and a few bites but always hated working with it live. I have a buddy who is an electrician I hire him for anything above changing a switch, outlet or fixture. He works live all the time, as I think most electricians do and it scares me.
When I do the simplest of wiring jobs in the house, breakers are being switched off, even if I know the switch is off and breaking the circuit. I am crazy paranoid when it comes to electricity. If I don't kill myself immediately, I figure I'll burn us up in the night. Again: the milkman's son.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

You moving far Marky or staying in the Royal County?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 9:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 8:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Capitalism makes us all traitors to each other.
Truth.

Just before xmas my emersion heater fails the thermostat is knackered and the wiring has burnt out. Fuck! I think no hot water. I'll call a plumber who wants £60.00 call out charge then more for parts and labour. Sod let's do it myself so a quick trip to my local B&Q DIY merchants and the replacement thermostat is £15.00 then a quick search on Google and bingo I think I can do this. So I isolated all the power replaced the thermostat in the emersion tank (lucky I have the tools here) then I replace all the wiring an hour later and I'm done. Put the power back on and wait to see if the water heats up at first nothing so I'm thinking damn what a disappointment. Then half an or so later my ex partner whom I share the house with says hey genius you fixed the water. I sit there feeling all smug and say well this genius is thirsty put the kettle on.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 9:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

You moving far Marky or staying in the Royal County?
I will be going to Cornwall initially to stay with my mum and step-dad. If I can find a property cheap enough once Brexit has been sorted ( :rolleyes: ) I'll stay there. If not I may look to go northwards where property is way cheaper and everyone listens to KISS 24/7.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 9:32pm
revbob wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 9:26pm
When I do the simplest of wiring jobs in the house, breakers are being switched off, even if I know the switch is off and breaking the circuit. I am crazy paranoid when it comes to electricity. If I don't kill myself immediately, I figure I'll burn us up in the night. Again: the milkman's son.
I had to do an electrical safety class and part of it included a recording from a 911 call where a kid made the call while his dad was being electrocuted. It was really hard to listen to. So yeah I'll be the guy who shuts off the breaker too.