The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by revbob »

I understand stand Doc's devil's advocate-ish stance but like 101 said vinyl was an investment. Certainly as a kid/teen/other person on limited income you were more discerning with your music purchases. Now I can download almost anything I want within 15 minutes and if I don't like it no big deal. Anything that requires no investment in terms of time/money etc is more disposable. As a kid/teen I used to have to take an hour bus ride to the record store or if I did mail order for some of the rare stuff I had to send cash and hope the guy at the other end didn't use it for beer money instead.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 7:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 7:11pm
gkbill wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 6:44pm
It was too much of a task (and I wasn't really good at it) to drop the needle into the appropriate groove. Cassettes eventually got next track/fast forward - but that was for rich kids who could afford it. 8-tracks never got that far.
Ka-CHUNK!
Vinyl was great because more often than not I'd listen to a complete side in the order provided and appreciate all the tracks. I never brought records to parties as they generally got all scratched to hell by drunk amateur dj's.
Just for the sake of argument, why is it superior to listen in the order that the artist places them? Is the listening experience about fealty to the artist or about what the listener wants? If I think CtC is flawless except that "Fingerpoppin'" should be the lead song and that "This Is England" be excised for being tolerable, I have every right to listen to it in that order, and so a medium that facilitates that ability is superior to one that makes it harder.
I would say that it is fine to shuffle a CD if you want however back to my original point with vinyl you bought something that you listened to as intended. Shuffling, skipping, programming tracks was the start of disposable music where you could do what you want with it.
With vinyl you invested time in it so grew to love (or not) all those album tracks over time. You don’t need to invest time in a CD.
Obedience is desired by totalitarian regimes. I prefer liberty, comrade. :shifty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 7:31pm
I understand stand Doc's devil's advocate-ish stance but like 101 said vinyl was an investment. Certainly as a kid/teen/other person on limited income you were more discerning with your music purchases. Now I can download almost anything I want within 15 minutes and if I don't like it no big deal. Anything that requires no investment in terms of time/money etc is more disposable. As a kid/teen I used to have to take an hour bus ride to the record store or if I did mail order for some of the rare stuff I had to send cash and hope the guy at the other end didn't use it for beer money instead.
And how many times did you have an album in each hand (or several)unable to decide which one to go with knowing it could be a long time before you could buy another.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 7:44pm
101Walterton wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 7:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 7:11pm
gkbill wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 6:44pm
It was too much of a task (and I wasn't really good at it) to drop the needle into the appropriate groove. Cassettes eventually got next track/fast forward - but that was for rich kids who could afford it. 8-tracks never got that far.
Ka-CHUNK!
Vinyl was great because more often than not I'd listen to a complete side in the order provided and appreciate all the tracks. I never brought records to parties as they generally got all scratched to hell by drunk amateur dj's.
Just for the sake of argument, why is it superior to listen in the order that the artist places them? Is the listening experience about fealty to the artist or about what the listener wants? If I think CtC is flawless except that "Fingerpoppin'" should be the lead song and that "This Is England" be excised for being tolerable, I have every right to listen to it in that order, and so a medium that facilitates that ability is superior to one that makes it harder.
I would say that it is fine to shuffle a CD if you want however back to my original point with vinyl you bought something that you listened to as intended. Shuffling, skipping, programming tracks was the start of disposable music where you could do what you want with it.
With vinyl you invested time in it so grew to love (or not) all those album tracks over time. You don’t need to invest time in a CD.
Obedience is desired by totalitarian regimes. I prefer liberty, comrade. :shifty:
I’m guilty of giving something a listen on Spotify to see what I think then discarding it I barely 1 listen.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 7:31pm
Hi, Simon! One of his arguments is that kids nowadays don't properly appreciate music because it's too easy to acquire, that the chase was a key part of the listening experience. Which, again, seems a weird argument for exclusivity, of location and financial resources, when we're talking about a commodity that is meant to be available to a mass audience.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 7:51pm
I’m guilty of giving something a listen on Spotify to see what I think then discarding it I barely 1 listen.
Maybe if you bought it and played it several times it'd grow on you. Sure, it happens. But how many albums did we buy that we played several times and realized we'd wasted $15?

I can certainly appreciate the various arguments, but my inclination is that introducing money into the equation doesn't make the music better.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 7:55pm
101Walterton wrote:
Maybe if you bought it and played it several times it'd grow on you. Sure, it happens. But how many albums did we buy that we played several times and realized we'd wasted $15?

I can certainly appreciate the various arguments, but my inclination is that introducing money into the equation doesn't make the music better.
No it doesn’t but how many albums that you now love did you not like the first time you heard them or took you a while to ‘get’ them.
Sandinista springs to mind.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 8:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

No it doesn’t but how many albums that you now love did you not like the first time you heard them or took you a while to ‘get’ them.
That's the other thing. You didn't give up on something so easily.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I only listen to music on minidisc.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Definitely! Some of my favourite records left me confused the first time or two. But when music is easy to acquire and store—um, piracy—there's no problem holding on to it and maybe you'll “get it” later on. There's no reason not to return to it later just becaus it was easily acquired.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 8:22pm
I remember trying to do some kind of swap with snoh way back when, and he refused to do anything but minidisc for reasons that I don't precisely recall but left me baffled at the time.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 8:38pm
Flex wrote:
I remember trying to do some kind of swap with snoh way back when, and he refused to do anything but minidisc for reasons that I don't precisely recall but left me baffled at the time.
Pretty silly considering anything on a mini disc was just a copy of something else.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 8:35pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Definitely! Some of my favourite records left me confused the first time or two. But when music is easy to acquire and store—um, piracy—there's no problem holding on to it and maybe you'll “get it” later on. There's no reason not to return to it later just becaus it was easily acquired.
But 'young people' don't acquire and store they listen on Spotify (or similar). I have 2 teenagers (and by default I know and talk to a lot of teenagers) who both listen to music all the time. Neither of them own a CD or record between them and only stream on Spotify. They have no music collection as such or back catalogue to listen to. They barely even have a Playlist on Spotify.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 8:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Pretty silly considering anything on a mini disc was just a copy of something else.
I wish I could remember his objections to, I think, cd-r. Being able to record over it, maybe?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 9:00pm
revbob wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 8:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
I wish I could remember his objections to, I think, cd-r. Being able to record over it, maybe?
All those great compilations Snoh made were on CDR.