What documentary are you watching on YouTube right now?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What documentary are you watching on YouTube right now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://darkcircleroom4.blogspot.com/20 ... -1990.html

Documentary about West Berlin's Hansa studio. It was a bit of a shrug for me. Lot of big names and big albums recorded there and people talk about it. Informative without having a real point to make. But there are enough fans of the artists here that folks might enjoy the footage and remembrance.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watched this morning, and will likely be buying a copy as it might be worthwhile for classroom use. It's a bit uneven, torn between telling the story of WLIR, the key American radio station for breaking alternative bands (mainly from the UK) in the 80s, and celebrating the music itself. The former provides good material for discussion about how artists gain exposure, markets, human agency, and all that; the latter is entertaining, but more an exercise in nostalgia. All in all, most people here would enjoy this, I think.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 8:40am
Watched this morning, and will likely be buying a copy as it might be worthwhile for classroom use. It's a bit uneven, torn between telling the story of WLIR, the key American radio station for breaking alternative bands (mainly from the UK) in the 80s, and celebrating the music itself. The former provides good material for discussion about how artists gain exposure, markets, human agency, and all that; the latter is entertaining, but more an exercise in nostalgia. All in all, most people here would enjoy this, I think.
I have seen it and really enjoyed it. But I was definitely in their target audience.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 9:52am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I have seen it and really enjoyed it. But I was definitely in their target audience.
Depending on how much you remember of it, do you think there's enough in there to support a discussion about radio as an institution and how hits are made? I'm thinking there is, but perhaps only with a lot of other background reading.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 9:57am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Depending on how much you remember of it, do you think there's enough in there to support a discussion about radio as an institution and how hits are made? I'm thinking there is, but perhaps only with a lot of other background reading.
I think so, but with the caveat that this was probably limited to the coasts and hipper cities (like Denver) in flyover country. I can assure you that none of this music was familiar to any kid in St. Louis at the time, save for a very few. Kids in cities like St. Louis were either listening to top 40 (Ok, so Billy Idol would fall under that category, and maybe Blondie in the early 80s) and classic rock. And I would imagine more were listening to classic rock stations than top 40. When we moved her in 1988, there were three huge classic rock stations and one top 40.

It wasn't until the commercial alternative boom in 1992-93 did St. Louis get an "alternative" station, and for them, that meant grunge.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 10:07am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think so, but with the caveat that this was probably limited to the coasts and hipper cities (like Denver) in flyover country. I can assure you that none of this music was familiar to any kid in St. Louis at the time, save for a very few. Kids in cities like St. Louis were either listening to top 40 (Ok, so Billy Idol would fall under that category, and maybe Blondie in the early 80s) and classic rock. And I would imagine more were listening to classic rock stations than top 40. When we moved her in 1988, there were three huge classic rock stations and one top 40.

It wasn't until the commercial alternative boom in 1992-93 did St. Louis get an "alternative" station, and for them, that meant grunge.
Yeah, WLIR's significance only makes sense in connection with MTV—that's the national coverage right there. Growing up in Rat's Ass, SK, I had no cool radio—it wasn't until I was in university that CBC-FM late night was where alt music got played—so MuchMusic was where I heard the weird stuff.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 10:12am
JennyB wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 10:07am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah, WLIR's significance only makes sense in connection with MTV—that's the national coverage right there. Growing up in Rat's Ass, SK, I had no cool radio—it wasn't until I was in university that CBC-FM late night was where alt music got played—so MuchMusic was where I heard the weird stuff.
I should probably watch this. I remember WLIR, was able to tune in growing up. Somehow their signal made it across the sound and the Hudson. I recall when they switched to that format. But to be honest I had a ton of stations to listen to once I started exploring I mostly stopped listening to commercial radio, college and community radio were pretty strong back in the 80s where the real daring if you want to call it that stuff was happening. There was a similar station to WLIR in New Jersey, not WFMU, it was a commercial station I think out of the Jersey shore area, I believe on the right end of the dial. Can't for the life of me remember its letters or frequency though.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I watched the It’s Slade documentary last night. Great watch and they all come across as genuinely nice humble blokes who all care for each other. Very refreshing.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 4:28pm
I watched the It’s Slade documentary last night. Great watch and they all come across as genuinely nice humble blokes who all care for each other. Very refreshing.
Great band.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Not exactly nice viewing but from a true crime aspect, very interesting. Unnerving doesn't begin to explain the emotion of a seemingly normal man who fitted fairly well in society but who also was a prolific serial killer, targeting mainly older women. Worth a watch.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 11:48am

Not exactly nice viewing but from a true crime aspect, very interesting. Unnerving doesn't begin to explain the emotion of a seemingly normal man who fitted fairly well in society but who also was a prolific serial killer, targeting mainly older women. Worth a watch.
Yes makes you wonder how many others there are.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Watched 'How Beer Saved The World' last night. It was fairly interesting though quite tenuous in its claims. Without beer we'd still be living in caves and wouldn't have any concept of numeracy, agriculture, inventions etc. Fun to watch whilst having a can or 4 but took it with a pinch, no, a shovel of salt.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This just done came in the mail today. Super keen on finding time to watch it, especially because it covers the "other" No Wave bands of the scene (the ones that Eno didn't record), so they're less acknowledged.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 1:01pm
This just done came in the mail today. Super keen on finding time to watch it, especially because it covers the "other" No Wave bands of the scene (the ones that Eno didn't record), so they're less acknowledged.
Soul Jazz are great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia