Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 8:35pm
101Walterton wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 8:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 7:55pm
101Walterton wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 7:51pm
I’m guilty of giving something a listen on Spotify to see what I think then discarding it I barely 1 listen.
Maybe if you bought it and played it several times it'd grow on you. Sure, it happens. But how many albums did we buy that we played several times and realized we'd wasted $15?

I can certainly appreciate the various arguments, but my inclination is that introducing money into the equation doesn't make the music better.
No it doesn’t but how many albums that you now love did you not like the first time you heard them or took you a while to ‘get’ them.
Sandinista springs to mind.
Definitely! Some of my favourite records left me confused the first time or two. But when music is easy to acquire and store—um, piracy—there's no problem holding on to it and maybe you'll “get it” later on. There's no reason not to return to it later just becaus it was easily acquired.
But 'young people' don't acquire and store they listen on Spotify (or similar). I have 2 teenagers (and by default I know and talk to a lot of teenagers) who both listen to music all the time. Neither of them own a CD or record between them and only stream on Spotify. They have no music collection as such or back catalogue to listen to. They barely even have a Playlist on Spotify.
I don't doubt the medium alters how most people engage with music. I'm just reluctant to declare the way I originally discovered music as necessarily superior. How much of our warm feelings for vinyl are rooted in our youth? Were we more hungry and adventurous for music because of the medium or because of our age? A geek is gonna geek and a less committed fan is going to embrace hits as they come and go.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 9:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 9:00pm
revbob wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 8:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 8:38pm
Flex wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 8:22pm
I only listen to music on minidisc.
I remember trying to do some kind of swap with snoh way back when, and he refused to do anything but minidisc for reasons that I don't precisely recall but left me baffled at the time.
Pretty silly considering anything on a mini disc was just a copy of something else.
I wish I could remember his objections to, I think, cd-r. Being able to record over it, maybe?
All those great compilations Snoh made were on CDR.
You're right, so it can't be a cd-r issue. Damn me brain!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I don't think there is a best way to experience music. Just different. Like, I love the easy access to almost every song I ever learn about, but I am almost paralyzed with choices and definitely have things in my library I've listened to once or not at all. Meanwhile, back in the day I had to scrape and struggle to find certain albums, but the ones I had I listened to deeply and repeatedly. I've enjoyed the ritual of flipping an lp and placing the needle just as I've enjoyed hitting shuffle on a huge playlist.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 7:55pm
101Walterton wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 7:51pm
I’m guilty of giving something a listen on Spotify to see what I think then discarding it I barely 1 listen.
Maybe if you bought it and played it several times it'd grow on you. Sure, it happens. But how many albums did we buy that we played several times and realized we'd wasted $15?

I can certainly appreciate the various arguments, but my inclination is that introducing money into the equation doesn't make the music better.
I know I spent money on FIfteen's debut album at the advice of a friend and I have listened to it maybe three times in twenty years.

EDIT: make that almost 25 years. Jesus.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 9:12pm
I don't think there is a best way to experience music. Just different. Like, I love the easy access to almost every song I ever learn about, but I am almost paralyzed with choices and definitely have things in my library I've listened to once or not at all. Meanwhile, back in the day I had to scrape and struggle to find certain albums, but the ones I had I listened to deeply and repeatedly. I've enjoyed the ritual of flipping an lp and placing the needle just as I've enjoyed hitting shuffle on a huge playlist.
Yup, that resonates with me, tho I have no nostalgia for the ritual of vinyl. But I recognize that I'm more than a bit of an oddity in that I've never experienced any kind of, well, romance of a particular medium. I'm pretty battleship grey utilitarian in that I want the easiest and most constrollable means of listening to music.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

My favorite listening experiences is when I can smash up any records Jon likes.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 11:10pm
My favorite listening experiences is when I can smash up any records Jon likes.
My favorite record is your childhood memories.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 4:34pm
WestwayKid wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 7:01pm
As I may have previously mentioned...we have a bronze statue of Fonzie in downtown Milwaukee. It's become quite the tourist landmark. Not a single shot was ever actually filmed in Milwaukee, however. Same for Laverne & Shirley.
One of my happiest random moments after moving to Chicago was finding a statue of Bob Newhart near where I worked.
Is that the one by Navy Pier?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
I remember trying to do some kind of swap with snoh way back when, and he refused to do anything but minidisc for reasons that I don't precisely recall but left me baffled at the time.
Pretty silly considering anything on a mini disc was just a copy of something else.
I wish I could remember his objections to, I think, cd-r. Being able to record over it, maybe?
That was what you could do with mini disc. I actually owned a player/recorder. I dealt with someone on a Pogues board who was a mini disc cultist.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 8:20am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
That was what you could do with mini disc. I actually owned a player/recorder. I dealt with someone on a Pogues board who was a mini disc cultist.
Right—it had to do with recording. Maybe he rejected digital recorders without removable media because you couldn't given someone the disc? Something along those lines.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

WestwayKid wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 8:05am
Wolter wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 4:34pm
WestwayKid wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 7:01pm
As I may have previously mentioned...we have a bronze statue of Fonzie in downtown Milwaukee. It's become quite the tourist landmark. Not a single shot was ever actually filmed in Milwaukee, however. Same for Laverne & Shirley.
One of my happiest random moments after moving to Chicago was finding a statue of Bob Newhart near where I worked.
Is that the one by Navy Pier?
The very same. I used to work in the high rise by it. The one everyone believes Oprah lived in, even though she never did.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Doing a Wikipedia dive, and I just learned that Geza X produced Meredith Brooks' hit "Bitch". I don't know what to do with that information.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 2:55pm
Doing a Wikipedia dive, and I just learned that Geza X produced Meredith Brooks' hit "Bitch". I don't know what to do with that information.
What a bizarre pairing. Like learning that Martin Hannett worked with Iron Maiden.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 3:00pm
Flex wrote:
What a bizarre pairing. Like learning that Martin Hannett worked with Iron Maiden.
I’ll be honest: I’m intrigued.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 3:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 3:00pm
Flex wrote:
I’ll be honest: I’m intrigued.
I'll be honest: I structured my pairing around two figures who (a) wouldn't make sense yet (b) would light up different parts of your specific brain.