B.A.D. Observations Thread

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Kory »

Planet BAD was my introduction, which has a pleasing chronological track order that not all compilations do.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 5:43pm
Planet BAD was my introduction, which has a pleasing chronological track order that not all compilations do.
It's a good a place as any to start.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 6:18pm
Kory wrote:
Or, iffen you can find it, the Looking For a Song promo that contains radio edits of the singles to that point.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 6:25pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Or, iffen you can find it, the Looking For a Song promo that contains radio edits of the singles to that point.
I've often promised myself that one day I would do an edit overhaul on the whole BAD catalogue and make everything under 4 mins, just for my own gratification. Songs mentioned upthread like like Dragon Town are great but have about 7 repeats of the chorus at the end.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 6:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
I've often promised myself that one day I would do an edit overhaul on the whole BAD catalogue and make everything under 4 mins, just for my own gratification. Songs mentioned upthread like like Dragon Town are great but have about 7 repeats of the chorus at the end.
I'm torn about that kind of editing with BAD. Yeah, a lot of songs go on too long and the listener is often ready to move on well before the song is done. But being bombastic and expansive is part of the whole package. I liked that radio edit promo back in the day because it was all those singles on one disc—convenient!—but it was also a cheat.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 6:41pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
I'm torn about that kind of editing with BAD. Yeah, a lot of songs go on too long and the listener is often ready to move on well before the song is done. But being bombastic and expansive is part of the whole package. I liked that radio edit promo back in the day because it was all those singles on one disc—convenient!—but it was also a cheat.
You're probably right. Some of the longer stuff does work, especially on the first LP. I just don't like that lazy "repeat the chorus 8 times at the end" method that they'd arrived at by Megatop Phoenix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 6:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

You're probably right. Some of the longer stuff does work, especially on the first LP. I just don't like that lazy "repeat the chorus 8 times at the end" method that they'd arrived at by Megatop Phoenix.
I know a lot people here really rate MP quite highly, but that's where I sort of jumped off the BAD bandwagon. Loved the first two records—I still maintain they're as good as anything the Clash did—and Tighten Up grew on me, but from MP onward it felt like so much filler, both on the albums and in the songs.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 6:49pm
Heston wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 6:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I know a lot people here really rate MP quite highly, but that's where I sort of jumped off the BAD bandwagon. Loved the first two records—I still maintain they're as good as anything the Clash did—and Tighten Up grew on me, but from MP onward it felt like so much filler, both on the albums and in the songs.
The songwriting definitely took a downturn but I do like Megatop as a cohesive whole, it hangs together well as an album. And yeah, after that my interest waned with BAD II/Big Audio, the odd good song dotted here and there.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Man, Apple Cart is a great tune. I had it stuck in my head all last night.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Medicine Show is my new favourite song. Thank you all.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Oh my God, how have I never listened to any B.A.D? Just heard 5 tracks in a row and they were all excellent!!

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 3:02pm
Oh my God, how have I never listened to any B.A.D? Just heard 5 tracks in a row and they were all excellent!!
If you're a Clash fan I'm not sure how you could have missed them!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 1:51pm
Top 5 BAD for me.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 3:19pm
BitterTom wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 3:02pm
If you're a Clash fan I'm not sure how you could have missed them!
Too many Starship records would do that to a man.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 1:51pm
Hey Kory don't rock the boat!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia