Charlie Don't Surf
4%

Total votes: 26

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: ROUND 18 - Sandinista! Semifinal

Post by Heston »

Double post
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 6:49pm
Heston wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 6:09pm
Just let this sink in you fucking heathens, Joe's finest moment as a lyricist...
A maudlin lament. Tough shit, workers, you lost. It's not about a way forward, but about mourning the past. I have very little time for that even from great bands.
Just cos there's not a song called "Something About Canada."
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 6:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Just let this sink in you fucking heathens, Joe's finest moment as a lyricist...
A maudlin lament. Tough shit, workers, you lost. It's not about a way forward, but about mourning the past. I have very little time for that even from great bands.
You haven't been paying attention to me all these years if you think I've ever given the impression that I'm tolerant of maudlin sentiment or nationalism (especially Canadian nationalism).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 6:58pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
You haven't been paying attention to me all these years if you think I've ever given the impression that I'm tolerant of maudlin sentiment or nationalism (especially Canadian nationalism).
Does it still count if they're playing characters rather than spouting their own beliefs though?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
You haven't been paying attention to me all these years
That's correct.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 7:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Does it still count if they're playing characters rather than spouting their own beliefs though?
The song is not nationalist at all, the opposite in fact.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 7:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
No, I know that. I was addressing the Canada part of the response. As in, I have no sentiment toward Canada or its past.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 7:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You haven't been paying attention to me all these years
That's correct.
*snort* You love me and you know it.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Where Doc hears maudlin sentiment, I hear barely simmering anger.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 9:11pm
Bitter defeat, but defeat nonetheless. There is nothing forward-looking, nothing that suggests productive anger.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 9:17pm
Wolter wrote:
Bitter defeat, but defeat nonetheless. There is nothing forward-looking, nothing that suggests productive anger.
I read it as a scathing in-character retort to the happy nostalgia for a nonexistent golden age of the Thatcher era, but I guess you can interpret it how you wish.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Yeah, I'm with Wolt. I think it lands differently if it was released at a different time, but to me it sounds like an indictment of 80s thatcherism as much as anything.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
*Furiously scribbles notes in doctor medulla journal*

Hmmm... does NOT like Canadian nationalism, I see.

*Furrows brow*

This will require DRAMATIC rewrites of my doctor medulla fursona fanfiction.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 9:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 9:17pm
Wolter wrote:
I read it as a scathing in-character retort to the happy nostalgia for a nonexistent golden age of the Thatcher era, but I guess you can interpret it how you wish.
The thing is, I don't really disagree with you here. But I have to ask, “And …?” Calling bullshit on bullshit has value, but if there's no push forward, it's just wallowing in the long history of defeat and difficulty of the commoners. There is nothing here that calls for changing circumstances. I fail to see how that makes this a superior piece of work. It ain't wretched in the larger scheme of what popular music, then or now, offers up, but in the context of the Clash and their politics—which is what these votes limit us to—I fail to see what make this especially admirable. Joe did such better work.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 9:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
*Furiously scribbles notes in doctor medulla journal*

Hmmm... does NOT like Canadian nationalism, I see.

*Furrows brow*

This will require DRAMATIC rewrites of my doctor medulla fursona fanfiction.
I don't think anyone's ever scribbled anything furiously about me. I feel blessed.