The Shoegazing Thread

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Shoegazing Thread

Post by Kory »

Pinkshinyultrablast is getting synthier: https://www.stereogum.com/1972117/pinks ... ens/music/
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 2:01pm
Pinkshinyultrablast is getting synthier: https://www.stereogum.com/1972117/pinks ... ens/music/
That's almost comically retro sounding (not a criticism, mind you). They also seem rather old fashioned in their pace in putting out new records. More than refreshing to see a band on the old album-a-year pace.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 2:04pm
Kory wrote:
That's almost comically retro sounding (not a criticism, mind you). They also seem rather old fashioned in their pace in putting out new records. More than refreshing to see a band on the old album-a-year pace.
Even though the albums are hard to get in the US (for we CD collectors).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 2:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 2:04pm
Kory wrote:
Even though the albums are hard to get in the US (for we CD collectors).
Give me a secure wifi connection and a solid url to guide me!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This is pretty much my ideal noise pop song. Just love the fuck out of it.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 12:45pm

I like how most gaze is just a Boston guitar riff with noise.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 2:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That's why I'd call that more noise pop than shoegaze. It's a blurry line and subjective and all that, but shoegaze to me is more resistant to hooks.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 2:38pm
Kory wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 2:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That's why I'd call that more noise pop than shoegaze. It's a blurry line and subjective and all that, but shoegaze to me is more resistant to hooks.
Either way I liked it. Still trying to find the perfect time to sit and listen to that Godspeed album you posted here ages ago.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 10:34pm
Still trying to find the perfect time to sit and listen to that Godspeed album you posted here ages ago.
No wonder you haven't found enlightenment yet!

Tim Bucknall
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by Tim Bucknall »

Loop/main/hair and skin trading company

Bowery electric
Seefeel
E.A.R.

Whos with me?

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Wow, this is thread is an absolute treasure chest of tasty suggestions.

Here's one of my recentish SG faves:

ERR also does some very impressive instrumental work.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

I'd say Shoegaze is essentially post-PiL neo-psych guitar rock with more estrogen and different drugs. IMO bands like The Chameleons were the bridge between the two movements.

If that song sounds vaguely familiar to you, Interpol just changed the lyrics and called it "PDA."

I love Loveless (and more importantly Tremelo) more than anyone, but MBV were a third-rate JAMC knockoff until Kevin Shields apparently locked himself in a room with a sheet of blotter and a copy of Head Over Heels and a bootleg cassette of KItes are Fun for a month.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

IkarisOne wrote:
01 May 2019, 1:41pm
I'd say Shoegaze is essentially post-PiL neo-psych guitar rock with more estrogen and different drugs. IMO bands like The Chameleons were the bridge between the two movements.

If that song sounds vaguely familiar to you, Interpol just changed the lyrics and called it "PDA."

I love Loveless (and more importantly Tremelo) more than anyone, but MBV were a third-rate JAMC knockoff until Kevin Shields apparently locked himself in a room with a sheet of blotter and a copy of Head Over Heels and a bootleg cassette of KItes are Fun for a month.
Neo-psych is definitely a term that gets thrown around with regard to these groups. Most of the contemporary stuff is heavily indebted to the 90s groups, but they still create some interesting soundscapes. I find that the related genre, dreampop, has a bit more leeway in diversity of sound.

Love the Chameleons.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Bands today have better technology to work with plus a larger body of inspiration to draw on. OG Gazers were making it all up as they went along so the songwriting was never as good as it should have been. The Cocteau Twins are really a phenomenon unto themselves and IMO the only band that approached their batting average writing-wise was Lush.

I met Miki Berenyi back on Lush's first US tour and she was so gorgeous and so charismatic it made you swoon. But in a live setting you realized she wasn't a very good singer.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

IkarisOne wrote:
01 May 2019, 6:19pm
Bands today have better technology to work with plus a larger body of inspiration to draw on. OG Gazers were making it all up as they went along so the songwriting was never as good as it should have been. The Cocteau Twins are really a phenomenon unto themselves and IMO the only band that approached their batting average writing-wise was Lush.

I met Miki Berenyi back on Lush's first US tour and she was so gorgeous and so charismatic it made you swoon. But in a live setting you realized she wasn't a very good singer.
I would add Slowdive to the list of good songwriters, but I like Lush too. Have you checked out Miki's new band Piroshka yet?