This Is Big Audio Dynamite - Round 2

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.

Vote for the song you DON'T like

Poll ended at 16 May 2019, 1:56am

Medicine Show
5%
E=MC2
No votes
The Bottom Line
5%
A Party
9%
Sudden Impact
23%
Stone Thames
18%
BAD
41%

Total votes: 22

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: This Is Big Audio Dynamite - Round 2

Post by Silent Majority »

Wolter wrote:
15 May 2019, 11:35am
Silent Majority wrote:
15 May 2019, 11:34am
matedog wrote:
15 May 2019, 10:23am
Yeesh, just read the lyrics to Sony. Glad it went first.
There's a "dub" version which is great cos it take the lyrics out
Is it on a BAD Files volume? I haven’t dug those out in years, but I would like that. The music on it is SO much better than the lyrics.
Probably? It's also on the two disc TIBAD and on Spotify.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 May 2019, 11:00am
Flex wrote:
15 May 2019, 10:50am
the music to sony is good, and I actually rather like the vocal delivery but man those lyrics have somehow aged worse than just about anything else associated with the band, and that's saying something.
I suspect if there were an extended version we'd hear the remaining 15% of known Japanese stereotypes that weren't used in the song.
Maybe there are a few stereotypes used but it is a song about Japanese culture, and is good-natured in its delivery. Nothing seems particularly offensive to me, and certainly nothing xenophobic as alluded to elsewhere.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
15 May 2019, 1:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
the music to sony is good, and I actually rather like the vocal delivery but man those lyrics have somehow aged worse than just about anything else associated with the band, and that's saying something.
I suspect if there were an extended version we'd hear the remaining 15% of known Japanese stereotypes that weren't used in the song.
Maybe there are a few stereotypes used but it is a song about Japanese culture, and is good-natured in its delivery. Nothing seems particularly offensive to me, and certainly nothing xenophobic as alluded to elsewhere.
No, there's no intentional malice there, but they go about considering Japanese culture from the crudest angles. That sample of the Pearl Harbor attack bulletin alone is awful—what's the point of that? Mick's better than that; this was just clumsy as fuck.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 May 2019, 1:21pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
No, there's no intentional malice there, but they go about considering Japanese culture from the crudest angles. That sample of the Pearl Harbor attack bulletin alone is awful—what's the point of that? Mick's better than that; this was just clumsy as fuck.
Is it much different to Frankie Goes To Hollywood sampling all the Cold War stuff for Two Tribes? All just seems a bit harmless to me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
15 May 2019, 1:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Is it much different to Frankie Goes To Hollywood sampling all the Cold War stuff for Two Tribes? All just seems a bit harmless to me.
A slight difference between sampling in a song opposing nuclear brinksmanship versus a song that relies on stereotypes derived largely from racism and other demonization. Again, this isn't to suggest that Mick sought to be offensive, only that he went about things in a crude way that could very easily appeal to genuine bigots.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Yeah, I don't think it's intentionally offensive or anything. As I said, we're all (theoretically) a tad wiser and more sensitive about such things and the song hasn't really kept up with the times. It happens, and it's a testament to Mick's lyrical craftsmanship that this is one of (the only?) really wince-worthy set of lyrics he's put out there.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 May 2019, 1:48pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

A slight difference between sampling in a song opposing nuclear brinksmanship versus a song that relies on stereotypes derived largely from racism and other demonization. Again, this isn't to suggest that Mick sought to be offensive, only that he went about things in a crude way that could very easily appeal to genuine bigots.
Which stereotypes are derived from racism? I'm genuinely interested to know. Maybe I'm just naive but I would never have noticed any racist connotations in the lyrics until it was mentioned here.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
15 May 2019, 2:02pm
Yeah, I don't think it's intentionally offensive or anything. As I said, we're all (theoretically) a tad wiser and more sensitive about such things and the song hasn't really kept up with the times. It happens, and it's a testament to Mick's lyrical craftsmanship that this is one of (the only?) really wince-worthy set of lyrics he's put out there.
Don't forget Don had a BIG hand in the lyrics on TiBAD. It was only recently we learnt he wrote the lyrics for E=mc2.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:
15 May 2019, 2:07pm
Don't forget Don had a BIG hand in the lyrics on TiBAD. It was only recently we learnt he wrote the lyrics for E=mc2.
Okay, it's Don's fault. :shifty:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
15 May 2019, 2:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Which stereotypes are derived from racism? I'm genuinely interested to know. Maybe I'm just naive but I would never have noticed any racist connotations in the lyrics until it was mentioned here.
Less biological racism than the cultural form, where certain facets just get trotted out to emphasize an entire people. Stuff like hari kari, rice wine, cheap and imitative commodities, samurais, Godzilla, kamikazes. It's not like all that stuff is a fabrication, but that it reduces Japan and Japanese to a dumb caricature.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 May 2019, 2:18pm
Heston wrote:
15 May 2019, 2:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Less biological racism than the cultural form, where certain facets just get trotted out to emphasize an entire people. Stuff like hari kari, rice wine, cheap and imitative commodities, samurais, Godzilla, kamikazes. It's not like all that stuff is a fabrication, but that it reduces Japan and Japanese to a dumb caricature.
But I love that line about Godzilla eating the bullet train.

I get your point to an extent but it's hardly Skrewdriver..

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
15 May 2019, 2:21pm
I get your point to an extent but it's hardly Skrewdriver..
Clearly! Several of us just see Mick (or Don :shifty: ) as clumsy, not nasty.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I used the word xenophobic, I wouldn't call it racist.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 May 2019, 2:32pm
Yeah, this isn’t a case of malicious intent. It’s just a case where the times have changed and it comes off as lazy stereotyping.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
15 May 2019, 2:35pm
Silent Majority wrote:
15 May 2019, 2:32pm
Yeah, this isn’t a case of malicious intent. It’s just a case where the times have changed and it comes off as lazy stereotyping.
I can get the stereotype thing to an extent but the xenophobia thing just seems off the mark if we're using the dictionary definition. "A dislike or prejudice against people from other countries." Sorry, I just can't see it. It's a good natured yarn about the East in the same way Medicine Show does a similar job on the old West (with a heavy dash of modern consumerism).