This Is Big Audio Dynamite - Round 2

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.

Vote for the song you DON'T like

Poll ended at 16 May 2019, 1:56am

Medicine Show
5%
E=MC2
No votes
The Bottom Line
5%
A Party
9%
Sudden Impact
23%
Stone Thames
18%
BAD
41%

Total votes: 22

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: This Is Big Audio Dynamite - Round 2

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
15 May 2019, 2:45pm
in the same way Medicine Show does a similar job on the old West (with a heavy dash of modern consumerism).
"Medicine Show." however, is clearly riffing on an entirely made-up history—Hollywood's imagined view of the Old West. It has no basis whatsoever in any real people. That's the key distinction, I think. They're both playful songs, but "Medicine Show" is playing off a media creation.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:
15 May 2019, 2:35pm
Silent Majority wrote:
15 May 2019, 2:32pm
I used the word xenophobic, I wouldn't call it racist.
Yeah, this isn’t a case of malicious intent. It’s just a case where the times have changed and it comes off as lazy stereotyping.
I can get the stereotype thing to an extent but the xenophobia thing just seems off the mark if we're using the dictionary definition. "A dislike or prejudice against people from other countries." Sorry, I just can't see it. It's a good natured yarn about the East in the same way Medicine Show does a similar job on the old West (with a heavy dash of modern consumerism).
An emphasis on prejudice rather than dislike. Cartoon versions of entire countries rest on broad stereotypes that have no actual thought in them.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Also, and I cannot stress this enough: the actual music for Sony SLAPS.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

We've been through this before but Wiki has Joe down as being sampled on Sony and I am convinced it is not him. Just sounds like Don.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 May 2019, 2:54pm
Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:
15 May 2019, 2:35pm
Silent Majority wrote:
15 May 2019, 2:32pm
I used the word xenophobic, I wouldn't call it racist.
Yeah, this isn’t a case of malicious intent. It’s just a case where the times have changed and it comes off as lazy stereotyping.
I can get the stereotype thing to an extent but the xenophobia thing just seems off the mark if we're using the dictionary definition. "A dislike or prejudice against people from other countries." Sorry, I just can't see it. It's a good natured yarn about the East in the same way Medicine Show does a similar job on the old West (with a heavy dash of modern consumerism).
An emphasis on prejudice rather than dislike. Cartoon versions of entire countries rest on broad stereotypes that have no actual thought in them.
There's an infamous episode of the Flintstones (I think it was pulled from syndication years ago) where the Fred and Barney wander on to a movie set of a Western but believe they're actually being targeted by Indians looking to scalp them, etc. The intent wasn't to promote contempt of indigenous people, but it relied on a long history of the myth of the savage.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Kind of hilarious that literal cavemen were considered less savage than indigenous peoples.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
15 May 2019, 3:56pm
Kind of hilarious that literal cavemen were considered less savage than indigenous peoples.
White cavemen, certainly.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
15 May 2019, 3:58pm
Wolter wrote:
15 May 2019, 3:56pm
White cavemen, certainly.
True.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

The most civilized caveman of them all:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Flex wrote:
15 May 2019, 10:50am
I've been spinning this album nonstop for the last 5 or so days and Im enjoying it more and more. Some real gems.
I had this playing in the car and the audio panning on Medicine Show was GREAT. I gotta spin this with headphones on again.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
15 May 2019, 3:49pm
We've been through this before but Wiki has Joe down as being sampled on Sony and I am convinced it is not him. Just sounds like Don.
I agree with you mate I've never heard it as Joe.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
15 May 2019, 1:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 May 2019, 11:00am
Flex wrote:
the music to sony is good, and I actually rather like the vocal delivery but man those lyrics have somehow aged worse than just about anything else associated with the band, and that's saying something.
I suspect if there were an extended version we'd hear the remaining 15% of known Japanese stereotypes that weren't used in the song.
Maybe there are a few stereotypes used but it is a song about Japanese culture, and is good-natured in its delivery. Nothing seems particularly offensive to me, and certainly nothing xenophobic as alluded to elsewhere.
I hate all this politically correct analysis. Every nation on earth has stereotypes. The song is tongue in cheek.

No one seemed too bothered about all the stereotypes in Safe European Home.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 May 2019, 7:35pm
Heston wrote:
15 May 2019, 1:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 May 2019, 11:00am
Flex wrote:
the music to sony is good, and I actually rather like the vocal delivery but man those lyrics have somehow aged worse than just about anything else associated with the band, and that's saying something.
I suspect if there were an extended version we'd hear the remaining 15% of known Japanese stereotypes that weren't used in the song.
Maybe there are a few stereotypes used but it is a song about Japanese culture, and is good-natured in its delivery. Nothing seems particularly offensive to me, and certainly nothing xenophobic as alluded to elsewhere.
I hate all this politically correct analysis. Every nation on earth has stereotypes. The song is tongue in cheek.

No one seemed too bothered about all the stereotypes in Safe European Home.
Dreadlock Holiday gets plenty of radio airtime.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

(I've always been a little uneasy about the stereotypes in Safe European Home, actually)

Probably comes from growing up in a place that is renowned for literally owning black people and fighting a war to keep it that way.

But, to take it further: SEH is about the Clash's reaction to Jamaica. It's not them pretending to be cod rastas.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
15 May 2019, 9:52pm
(I've always been a little uneasy about the stereotypes in Safe European Home, actually)

Probably comes from growing up in a place that is renowned for literally owning black people and fighting a war to keep it that way.

But, to take it further: SEH is about the Clash's reaction to Jamaica. It's not them pretending to be cod rastas.
"Move ya botty outta the way you raasclatt" sings Mick on the coda. That's kinda just as bad as 10cc in my book.

They went to the right place where every white face was an invitation to robbery. Yep because all Jamaicans were robbers.

Who dat Martian on arrival at the airport - yep because in 1978 Jamaica no black man has ever seen a white man before.

Just pointing out the obvious is all peeps.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia