Joe Strummer interested in producing Morrissey’s Maladjusted (1997) album

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Joe Strummer interested in producing Morrissey’s Maladjusted (1997) album

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Considering Moz’s support for For Britain, glad this didn’t happen. Written by Moz 10 years ago for the remastered and expanded Maladjusted CD:
IMG_20190419_1208153310001.JPG
IMG_20190419_1209584050002.JPG

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Joe Strummer interested in producing Morrissey’s Maladjusted (1997) album

Post by Wolter »

Ugh, his writing style makes me want to deck him.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

There is a scene in "England is Mine" where a young Steven Morrissey meets Billy Duffy (of Cult fame) for the first time to kick around the idea of forming a band. Morrissey is seen looking at Duffy's record collection with a very critical and judgmental eye and then he pulls a copy of the first Clash LP off of the shelf and they have an exchange about it - Duffy expressing much admiration for Joe and Morrissey being a bit more dubious.

Maladjusted was such a mess of an album when it first came out. Not sure what Joe would/could have done with it. It doesn't feel like a partnership that ever would have worked. I think they were too different (obviously).

The other great Morrissey/Clash connection is that Morrissey apparently replied to an advert posted by Tony James looking for a singer (London SS), but they didn't take it seriously because he was based up in Manchester.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Morrissey's prose looks like he deliberately wore a monocle and burgundy smoking jacket while writing longhand with a goose feather and inkwell.

edit:
WestwayKid wrote:
16 May 2019, 8:13am
Maladjusted was such a mess of an album when it first came out. Not sure what Joe would/could have done with it. It doesn't feel like a partnership that ever would have worked. I think they were too different (obviously).
In my fantasy, Joe previews the songs and just walks out the door.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 May 2019, 8:21am
Morrissey's prose looks like he deliberately wore a monocle and burgundy smoking jacket while writing longhand with a goose feather and inkwell.

edit:
WestwayKid wrote:
In my fantasy, Joe previews the songs and just walks out the door.
Hopefully blowing a lot of smoke in Morrissey's direction before he walks out! :mrgreen:

aza
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by aza »

:yuck:

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

WestwayKid wrote:
The other great Morrissey/Clash connection is that Morrissey apparently replied to an advert posted by Tony James looking for a singer (London SS), but they didn't take it seriously because he was based up in Manchester.
In "That Was Then This Is Now" Mick Jones talks about Morrissey writing to him about the New York Dolls (IIRC)
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Joe's side of the story:
Joe: I saw Morrissey not too long ago. Well, probably years ago now. I got a call one day: “Morrissey wants you to produce his next album.” [Jack laughs] And I went, “Alright, who is this? Stop shaggin’ around.” And he went, “No, I’m Terry” from whatever label, I can’t remember, but he was serious. So we went up to see him. It was this horrible show where he was supporting David Bowie at Wembley Arena.

JR: I remember when they did that tour, yeah. Bowie was covering his song “I Know It’s Gonna Happen Someday,” which was a rip-off of Bowie’s “Rock n’ Roll Suicide,” which itself was no coincidence, since Mick Ronson produced that LP for Morrissey. So I am sure he was very serious about having you produce him. He likes working with his old heroes. You know he wrote a book on The New York Dolls before he was in The Smiths—I bet he would ask Thunders to produce him if he was still alive!
Joe: Ahh, but I wasn’t having it. The whole situation was beginning to piss me off. And his manager—it was a lady at the time—she came to me before the show and said, “So, what do you think?” And I said [snaps fingers], because I knew what he wanted to do. He wanted to cover “Can’t Explain,” that was part of the initial phone message. And I tried to imagine Morrissey singing “Got a feelin’ inside…” And I thought this was a stupid idea! So I said, “No, no. I’ve got a plan for Morrissey.” And they went “what is it?” I said, “Let’s have him cover ‘Pop Music’ by M.

JR: Whew. That would have put them off. I never liked that song.
Joe: I wanted to poke them with a stick. You see what I mean? Because the idea of trying to redo “Can’t Explain”—I couldn’t see the point of it. And I threw that in to see what they’d say, and Morrissey threw it right out! He just freaked out and left the venue.
Found this in a google search. Apparently from an interview in The Big Takeover magazine. "JR" is the interviewer, Jack Rabid.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Tangential observation: Whenever I read a transcript of a Strummer interview, I hear his voice in my mind clear as can be. Doesn't happen with that many people for me, but Joe's definitely one of them.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
16 May 2019, 3:41pm
Joe's side of the story
The timeline doesn't add up for me.

The tour with Bowie was late '95 while he was still touring Southpaw Grammar which had been released two or three months earlier.

Maladjusted was recorded in early '97 which would mean they sat on their thumbs for over a year despite having 20 or so new songs ready to go
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

I can't help but read that in the style of Alan Bennett.
Morrissey - Another one whose music i can listen to but can't bare the spoken/written word.
Alongside Bono and Lydon

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I love that Joe referred to it as a horrible show! :mrgreen:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 May 2019, 4:01pm
Tangential observation: Whenever I read a transcript of a Strummer interview, I hear his voice in my mind clear as can be. Doesn't happen with that many people for me, but Joe's definitely one of them.
Ha, ha - I do the same thing!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Morrissey never liked The Clash he hated the gang mentality.

My guess regarding the idea of Joe possibly producing would be a shared love of rockabilly. Real glad Joe never got involved. Musically Morrissey's group are a solid bunch of musicians. Morrissey is a solid turd.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 May 2019, 7:32pm
Morrissey is a solid turd.
The lack of meat in his diet probably precludes solid turds.