Marky Dread Remasters

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Re: Marky Dread Remasters

Post by BitterTom »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2019, 4:53pm
white man wrote:
28 May 2019, 4:51pm
Cheers Marky. Came across CC by accident a few days ago. BTW i'm from the North where there are no soft lads. Except the one that does the weather on BBC Look North. And he's Welsh.
It was a dig at Heston and BitterTom who said the original mix was "weedy".
You've found the bollocks it needed.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
white man wrote:
Cheers Marky. Came across CC by accident a few days ago. BTW i'm from the North where there are no soft lads. Except the one that does the weather on BBC Look North. And he's Welsh.
My actual words were "thin" and "tinny", which I stand by. Good job Marky but I'd love you to get your hands on the multitacks for a proper remix. We know the multitracks exist because they used them on that "Producers" series on Radio 2 a few years back.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
28 May 2019, 8:58pm
Marky Dread wrote:
white man wrote:
My actual words were "thin" and "tinny", which I stand by. Good job Marky but I'd love you to get your hands on the multitacks for a proper remix. We know the multitracks exist because they used them on that "Producers" series on Radio 2 a few years back.
I really like the way they attack the Basing St. Dub take. I doubt we'll ever get those multi tracks

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Marky does it again - another couple of cases of audio ammunition, and I still don't know how he pulls this stuff out of tracks we've known for years.
I first heard the solo guitar intro to CC on the From Here To Eternity album, and loved it... of course it's on dozens of other live boots but it really jumped out to me at the time cos I only knew the single which just kicks off with the full band. So it's great to hear it restored on the studio take. And the way a layer seems to have been stripped off the rest of the track is excellent, it really reveals lots of little details.
As for the dub mix... I love that 'you're outside the venue hearing Topper soundcheck' sound to the drums, combined with a 'Sandinista Side 6' chuck in all the effects vibe. It works a treat :mrgreen:
White Man - yes, that Rude Boy extraction is a gem! One I'd overlooked and I don't think I've heard it in isolation like this before - a definite candidate for a Clash Greatest Outtakes album.
Nice to revisit the RAR and Lyceum versions again, and the remix is like with CC a neat way to freshen up the single.
Thanks again MD
PS. Suoerb artwork again, it goes without saying... ( <– er, but I've said it)
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnS wrote:
28 May 2019, 9:08pm
Marky does it again - another couple of cases of audio ammunition, and I still don't know how he pulls this stuff out of tracks we've known for years.
I first heard the solo guitar intro to CC on the From Here To Eternity album, and loved it... of course it's on dozens of other live boots but it really jumped out to me at the time cos I only knew the single which just kicks off with the full band. So it's great to hear it restored on the studio take. And the way a layer seems to have been stripped off the rest of the track is excellent, it really reveals lots of little details.
As for the dub mix... I love that 'you're outside the venue hearing Topper soundcheck' sound to the drums, combined with a 'Sandinista Side 6' chuck in all the effects vibe. It works a treat :mrgreen:
White Man - yes, that Rude Boy extraction is a gem! One I'd overlooked and I don't think I've heard it in isolation like this before - a definite candidate for a Clash Greatest Outtakes album.
Nice to revisit the RAR and Lyceum versions again, and the remix is like with CC a neat way to freshen up the single.
Thanks again MD
PS. Suoerb artwork again, it goes without saying... ( <– er, but I've said it)
Cheers JohnS, how much I would love to hear all those Rude Boy retakes as clean cuts. They must be on a reel somewhere surely. Glad you like the mix I had great fun playing around with those. Should also mention the RAR has been speed corrected and you can hear as suspected the backing track is the same with just an alt. Vocal with slight lyric differences.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 29 May 2019, 3:23am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Fantastic stuff as always, even down to the fine detail of the different coloured sleeves for White Man. Am I correct in recalling that there was a dub version of Complete Control supposedly recorded with Lee Perry? Thanks for reposting CC here, I hadn't seen it in the polls threads.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
29 May 2019, 2:36am
Fantastic stuff as always, even down to the fine detail of the different coloured sleeves for White Man. Am I correct in recalling that there was a dub version of Complete Control supposedly recorded with Lee Perry? Thanks for reposting CC here, I hadn't seen it in the polls threads.
I'm not so sure if CC was a full on dub mix by Lee Perry. But he did produce a version in '77 that used echo and a heavier bass sound the band chose not to use it and have it remixed to bring Mick's guitar back up in the mix. So this suggests that the version released was the same tracking session initiated by Lee Perry but then made to sound more like The Clash by the band themselves and engineer Mickey Foote. Of note also this was Topper's first recording with the band wether this had any bearing on the dub production being toned down who knows. It's a shame they couldn't have cut two versions.

Glad you like the sleeve variants. Just felt correct to emulate the original.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 May 2019, 2:54am
laxman wrote:
I'm not so sure if CC was a full on dub mix by Lee Perry. But he did produce a version in '77 that used echo and a heavier bass sound the band chose not to use it and have it remixed to bring Mick's guitar back up in the mix. So this suggests that the version released was the same tracking session initiated by Lee Perry but then made to sound more like The Clash by the band themselves and engineer Mickey Foote. Of note also this was Topper's first recording with the band wether this had any bearing on the dub production being toned down who knows. It's a shame they couldn't have cut two versions.

Thanks Marky and agreed that it is a shame we don't have both versions. I was guessing your dub version was a nod to what we didn't get officially.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Outstanding work mate. Just listening to WMIHP now. More than 40 years after the event and i'm hearing stuff for the first time. :kiss:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
29 May 2019, 4:00am
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:

Thanks Marky and agreed that it is a shame we don't have both versions. I was guessing your dub version was a nod to what we didn't get officially.
Well sort of I guess. I doubt that Lee's version would've been as full on as mine. What Lee produced at his Black Arc was astounding altough Complete Control was produced at Basing St. Studios (Island/Sarm West). Lee was over here producing "Bob Marley & the Wailers" at the time.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

white man wrote:
29 May 2019, 8:27am
Outstanding work mate. Just listening to WMIHP now. More than 40 years after the event and i'm hearing stuff for the first time. :kiss:
Thanks mate much appreciated. :cool:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 May 2019, 8:30am
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:

Well sort of I guess. I doubt that Lee's version would've been as full on as mine. What Lee produced at his Black Arc was astounding altough Complete Control was produced at Basing St. Studios (Island/Sarm West). Lee was over here producing "Bob Marley & the Wailers" at the time.
I have a 3CD collection of his Black Arc stuff which is great.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
29 May 2019, 12:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
29 May 2019, 8:30am
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:

I have a 3CD collection of his Black Arc stuff which is great.
I've got a lot of Lee's stuff all great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2019, 12:56pm
As people said they had trouble finding this in the 'Final'' thread I'll re-up it here.

https://mega.nz/#!yxs0HIDJ!tkibb49NdjXE ... BDZ7KiDBWg
That dub mix is blowing my fucking mind. Love the extended marshall drumming in the mix in track one too. :cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
30 May 2019, 11:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2019, 12:56pm
As people said they had trouble finding this in the 'Final'' thread I'll re-up it here.

https://mega.nz/#!yxs0HIDJ!tkibb49NdjXE ... BDZ7KiDBWg
That dub mix is blowing my fucking mind. Love the extended marshall drumming in the mix in track one too. :cool:
Nice one Flex. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia