ULTIMATE BAD SURVIVAL POLL part 6

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.

Vote for the song you DON'T like

Poll ended at 08 Jun 2019, 2:27am

Medicine Show
20%
V13
25%
Beyond the Pale
55%

Total votes: 20

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

ULTIMATE BAD SURVIVAL POLL part 6

Post by Silent Majority »

Other 99 is OUT
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: ULTIMATE BAD SURVIVAL POLL part 6

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The remaining choices fit neatly as to where one's preferences sit. "Medicine Show" is the big, playful, sample-rich kitchen-sink BAD song; "V13" is archetypal Mick pop; and "Beyond the Pale" is the last great socially conscious Strummer/Jones collaboration that is more timely than when it was written.

My preferences go BtP, MS, then V13, so I'm voting out V13.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Let's not forget V13 is also Strummer/ Jones. The lyrics are very Joe and very different in style to anything on the first album.

Update: writing credits also include Letts, Roberts and Donovan, according to Discogs.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 6:26am
The remaining choices fit neatly as to where one's preferences sit. "Medicine Show" is the big, playful, sample-rich kitchen-sink BAD song; "V13" is archetypal Mick pop; and "Beyond the Pale" is the last great socially conscious Strummer/Jones collaboration that is more timely than when it was written.

Same thinking, same vote for v13. Very nice pop, but very nice pop has never been enough for me.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 8:55am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 6:26am

Same thinking, same vote for v13. Very nice pop, but very nice pop has never been enough for me.
Early results suggest we're the last of the pro-hectoring faction.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 9:28am
Early results suggest we're the last of the pro-hectoring faction.
BAD was never tuneless enough for my taste, tbqh
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Common sense has prevailed. V13 is just too great melodically.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 10:27am
For someone who argued ardently for "Something About England," it's a curious about-face to now reject "Beyond the Pale."

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Update update: Just got home and vinyl says Strummer and Jones for V13.

In the interview for the Isle of Noises book, Mick says he already had Beyond the Pale and Joe simply 'finessed' it.
This makes sense as it was, I think, the first Upping St song to hit the live sets; and, listening back, it does initially have slightly different lyrics.
Last edited by MarkyJacobs on 07 Jun 2019, 1:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 10:46am
Heston wrote:
For someone who argued ardently for "Something About England," it's a curious about-face to now reject "Beyond the Pale."
I love the lyrics in BtP, it just fails in its execution for me. The tune is good but a bit static and the chorus just reuses the verse melody. The production is clunky whereas V13 is executed quite well in both its versions.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 12:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
I love the lyrics in BtP, it just fails in its execution for me. The tune is good but a bit static and the chorus just reuses the verse melody. The production is clunky whereas V13 is executed quite well in both its versions.
My point, tho, is that "Something About England" ain't exactly a glorious pop tune; its support was almost entirely because of its lyrics. BtP is much superior in terms of lyrics and music. I'm not dismissing your support for V13 one iota—all three are super solid options to win—but you seem to just shuffle BtP to the side so easily. Which, to me, is odd given your stance before. Unless you're a dirty Brexiter who hates immigrants. :shifty:

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 2:13pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
My point, tho, is that "Something About England" ain't exactly a glorious pop tune; its support was almost entirely because of its lyrics. BtP is much superior in terms of lyrics and music. I'm not dismissing your support for V13 one iota—all three are super solid options to win—but you seem to just shuffle BtP to the side so easily. Which, to me, is odd given your stance before. Unless you're a dirty Brexiter who hates immigrants. :shifty:
I disagree with your comment about BtP being musically and lyrically better than SAE. The latter may not be a glorious pop tune but I find it musically satisfying.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 2:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 2:13pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
I disagree with your comment about BtP being musically and lyrically better than SAE. The latter may not be a glorious pop tune but I find it musically satisfying.
Different strokes and all that, but SAE's chief virtue musically is its evidence of the band's willingness to explore different styles. The result itself is largely a shrug. No need to rehash my criticism of SAE's lyrics, but BtP succeeds in terms of advocacy and awareness in ways that SAE doesn't. And, admittedly, it does ring as more significant given the political climate in Europe and North America.

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Why even bother talking about what is wrong with any of these songs? guess that was my problem with this whole concept.

Heston

Post by Heston »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 5:36pm
Why even bother talking about what is wrong with any of these songs? guess that was my problem with this whole concept.
Why bother commenting then? Are you this much hard work in real life or is it an online thing?