What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Momus' first album and, perhaps, my favourite. Stories from Rome and the Bible with Momus' wry humour.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Thanks to this Germs book I'm reading, I'm going back and checking out some California bands that I missed when I was a kid (mostly because the CDs were unavailable and streaming wasn't around) and liking it. So far have checked out the Weirdos, the Avengers, and the Nuns, with more to come. At the time, I had been more into Circle Jerks, Fear, DK, etc.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 4:15pm
Thanks to this Germs book I'm reading, I'm going back and checking out some California bands that I missed when I was a kid (mostly because the CDs were unavailable and streaming wasn't around) and liking it. So far have checked out the Weirdos, the Avengers, and the Nuns, with more to come. At the time, I had been more into Circle Jerks, Fear, DK, etc.
Be sure to checkout Mayhem. :shifty:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 5:20pm
Kory wrote:
Be sure to checkout Mayhem. :shifty:

Man that bass tone is awful.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Meh flick, but might be worth a gander if it's on a movie channel.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 6:35pm
Kory wrote:
I take it this is a biopic rather than a documentary?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 6:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 6:35pm
Kory wrote:
I take it this is a biopic rather than a documentary?
Right. Its chief virtue, I guess, is that Shane West is a pretty convincing Darby.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

CtC, obviously. But in between, my favourite album by Van Halen, a classic in my eyes.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190611-175122_deezer.jpg

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

220px-16LoversLane.jpg
220px-16LoversLane.jpg (10.63 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
I'm a bit late for the game with these guys - but what a great band. Grant McLennan and Robert Forster were a great songwriting team. Beautifully catchy music with great lyrics. I stumbled across them because of McLennan's Jack Frost collaboration with Steve Killbey.

If anyone out there has copies of the 2 disc versions of their albums that were released back in 2004 - drop me a line ;) ! They're very hard to find these days.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 12:56pm
CtC, obviously. But in between, my favourite album by Van Halen, a classic in my eyes.
The debut rules imo.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 10:03am
BitterTom wrote:
The debut rules imo.
Their debut is one of the best hard rock albums ever recorded. They never really did a bad album with Diamond Dave - in fact - the overall quality was pretty darned high. The Sammy Hagar years never really did much for me, however.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Decided to give Elton John’s discography a fair shake (my wife is on a kick because of the movie - she’s a long-time fan), so I’m listening to the early stuff (I’m probably gonna dip by 1976). It’s surprising how country-tinged much of it is.

His first album is odd in that it’s very listenable but not very interesting. Good background noise.

The moment the second album begins with “Your Song,” it’s super clear he’s ready to release a hit. Also the production is so much better, even though both are by Joe’s feared Gus Dudgeon.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 10:03am
BitterTom wrote:
The debut rules imo.
Another good one, Runnin' With the Devil is a great tune and fantastic opener.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

It’s almost perverse how little Van Halen moves me despite my love of dumb hard rock bordering on dumb metal.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 11:25am
Decided to give Elton John’s discography a fair shake (my wife is on a kick because of the movie - she’s a long-time fan), so I’m listening to the early stuff (I’m probably gonna dip by 1976). It’s surprising how country-tinged much of it is.

His first album is odd in that it’s very listenable but not very interesting. Good background noise.

The moment the second album begins with “Your Song,” it’s super clear he’s ready to release a hit. Also the production is so much better, even though both are by Joe’s feared Gus Dudgeon.
Our continued path to a flex-wolter singularity continues apace
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!