What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 12:53pm
Wolter wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 11:25am
Decided to give Elton John’s discography a fair shake (my wife is on a kick because of the movie - she’s a long-time fan), so I’m listening to the early stuff (I’m probably gonna dip by 1976). It’s surprising how country-tinged much of it is.

His first album is odd in that it’s very listenable but not very interesting. Good background noise.

The moment the second album begins with “Your Song,” it’s super clear he’s ready to release a hit. Also the production is so much better, even though both are by Joe’s feared Gus Dudgeon.
Our continued path to a flex-wolter singularity continues apace
I look forward to crushing the bones of our enemies.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wire, Third Day. I remember when I found this on Napster or Limewire, the first evidence of Wire starting up again. Absolute joy that there was something new, even if it was almost all old songs.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 1:22pm
Wire, Third Day. I remember when I found this on Napster or Limewire, the first evidence of Wire starting up again. Absolute joy that there was something new, even if it was almost all old songs.
They've been rather quiet compared to the last few years.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 1:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Don't know whether you frequent their official board—which has been more dead than usual the last several months—but I recall them premiering new songs during shows last year and (I think) have recorded them. And they've posited doing a documentary of themselves. But, yeah, things have slowed considerably.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 2:02pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Don't know whether you frequent their official board—which has been more dead than usual the last several months—but I recall them premiering new songs during shows last year and (I think) have recorded them. And they've posited doing a documentary of themselves. But, yeah, things have slowed considerably.
I probably hit the board twice a year and realize I could have cut one of the visits out. They aren't nearly as robust as this group of losers.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 10:27am
Heston wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 10:03am
BitterTom wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 12:56pm
CtC, obviously. But in between, my favourite album by Van Halen, a classic in my eyes.
The debut rules imo.
Their debut is one of the best hard rock albums ever recorded. They never really did a bad album with Diamond Dave - in fact - the overall quality was pretty darned high. The Sammy Hagar years never really did much for me, however.
I'm in the minority of preferring Hagar era. Just preferred the music greatly. Debut was very good as was his final, 1984, but the 4 (I think) albums in between did little to nothing for me. As for Hagar, 5150 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge are some of my favourite rock albums out there.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 2:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I probably hit the board twice a year and realize I could have cut one of the visits out. They aren't nearly as robust as this group of losers.
It's pretty much a news-only "community." But I suppose an enthusiastic Wire fan doesn't make much sense. Wry and distant or GTFO.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Those pre-Brix years bring to mind the line when Elvis met Sam Phillips. Phillips asked him who he sounded like, and Elvis said, "I don't sound like nobody." I'm at a total loss as to how to describe early Fall. Can is probably the closest thing, or at least a starting point, but that doesn't quite get to it.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

BitterTom wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 2:12pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
CtC, obviously. But in between, my favourite album by Van Halen, a classic in my eyes.
The debut rules imo.
Their debut is one of the best hard rock albums ever recorded. They never really did a bad album with Diamond Dave - in fact - the overall quality was pretty darned high. The Sammy Hagar years never really did much for me, however.
I'm in the minority of preferring Hagar era. Just preferred the music greatly. Debut was very good as was his final, 1984, but the 4 (I think) albums in between did little to nothing for me. As for Hagar, 5150 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge are some of my favourite rock albums out there.
JennyB! You have to introduce Tom to your husband!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

BitterTom wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
The debut rules imo.
I'm surrounded! :shifty:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 3:32pm
BitterTom wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
The debut rules imo.
I had such high hopes for you, Tom.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 3:33pm
Wolter wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:

The debut rules imo.
Is it possible VH sent Tom in as a Manchurian Candidate to destroy this board?

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 3:35pm
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Is it possible VH sent Tom in as a Manchurian Candidate to destroy this board?
Yes. It is indeed quite possible. If not probable.
Got a Rake? Sure!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:

The debut rules imo.
Well I've heard this one before!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 2:33pm
Kory wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 2:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's pretty much a news-only "community." But I suppose an enthusiastic Wire fan doesn't make much sense. Wry and distant or GTFO.
Shoot, does that mean I'm not a true fan?