Strummservations

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4036
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: Strummservations

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 6:44pm
This was posted on FB, some great pics...

http://www.bobgruen.com/joe-strummer-me ... veGzcSBMEE
Some fantastic shots in this collection - many of which I have never seen before. Thanks for the share. It feels like Gruen did a great job capturing Joe as he was.
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Tom checks the ingredients on "Uncle Pusher's Old Timey Cocaine Filled Cider" - Silent Majority

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4486
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: Strummservations

Post by BitterTom »

Saw these this morning, great pictures.

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 2428
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: Strummservations

Post by Low Down Low »

The familiar one fifth from the top is the greatest clash pic ever taken in my book, or at least the best live one. Never knew it was from Boston though, thought it was the palladium nyc.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 29604
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: Strummservations

Post by Flex »

Flex wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 11:34am
Okay, the Strummer polling begins next week. I'd never suggest anyone listen to something that isn't BERNIETIME for eetweek, but I'll just say that I'm gonna structure this to include pretty much all his non-Clash material (101ers, Wilderness, Meskies) so plan and refresh yourself accordingly.
Sorry, this week turned out to be a bit shit. Will be starting NEXT MONDAY, so get your Joe-listening in, folks.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47676
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Strummservations

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 11:45am
Flex wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 11:34am
Okay, the Strummer polling begins next week. I'd never suggest anyone listen to something that isn't BERNIETIME for eetweek, but I'll just say that I'm gonna structure this to include pretty much all his non-Clash material (101ers, Wilderness, Meskies) so plan and refresh yourself accordingly.
Sorry, this week turned out to be a bit shit. Will be starting NEXT MONDAY, so get your Joe-listening in, folks.
Looking forward to this.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21973
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Strummservations

Post by 101Walterton »

Flex wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 11:45am
Flex wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 11:34am
Okay, the Strummer polling begins next week. I'd never suggest anyone listen to something that isn't BERNIETIME for eetweek, but I'll just say that I'm gonna structure this to include pretty much all his non-Clash material (101ers, Wilderness, Meskies) so plan and refresh yourself accordingly.
Sorry, this week turned out to be a bit shit. Will be starting NEXT MONDAY, so get your Joe-listening in, folks.
Looking forward to it.
Is it just Joe solo or his various bands as well?

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 29604
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: Strummservations

Post by Flex »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 5:04pm
Is it just Joe solo or his various bands as well?
Solo and various non-Clash bands. Get listening!
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21973
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Strummservations

Post by 101Walterton »

Flex wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 5:08pm
101Walterton wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 5:04pm
Is it just Joe solo or his various bands as well?
Solo and various non-Clash bands. Get listening!
I’m always listening. May have to go back into 101ers in weekend though.

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4486
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: Strummservations

Post by BitterTom »

Tony Adams is such a good fucking song, loving this album. Had it on a bit too loud, baby started crying, I got a bollocking but I can honestly say it was so worth it.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21973
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Strummservations

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:26pm
Tony Adams is such a good fucking song, loving this album. Had it on a bit too loud, baby started crying, I got a bollocking but I can honestly say it was so worth it.
Yep TA is a great song can’t believe it picked upvotes this early.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 34513
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: Strummservations

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:26pm
Tony Adams is such a good fucking song, loving this album. Had it on a bit too loud, baby started crying, I got a bollocking but I can honestly say it was so worth it.
I don't want to be too negative here but I found all of Joe's post-Clash albums a little lacking. Some great songs here and there but a real lack of good melody in places and not many rocking out songs. He was only in his Forties, you are allowed to kick up some shit at that age still. We needed more Coma Girls and Rockin' Worlds and less Nitcombs and Gamma Rays.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 91026
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: Strummservations

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:41pm
BitterTom wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:26pm
Tony Adams is such a good fucking song, loving this album. Had it on a bit too loud, baby started crying, I got a bollocking but I can honestly say it was so worth it.
I don't want to be too negative here but I found all of Joe's post-Clash albums a little lacking. Some great songs here and there but a real lack of good melody in places and not many rocking out songs. He was only in his Forties, you are allowed to kick up some shit at that age still. We needed more Coma Girls and Rockin' Worlds and less Nitcombs and Gamma Rays.
Agreed 100%. The voice is still there, magnetic as always, but the music rarely stands out and grabs. Listening to all the Mescaleros records this afternoon, I was especially struck by how easily Global-a-Go-Go just evaporated from my consciousness. A good album could be made from about half of X-Ray, a third of Streetcore, and a couple songs from Global, but way too much doesn't dent my imagination or memory.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 29604
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: Strummservations

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:47pm
Heston wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:41pm
BitterTom wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:26pm
Tony Adams is such a good fucking song, loving this album. Had it on a bit too loud, baby started crying, I got a bollocking but I can honestly say it was so worth it.
I don't want to be too negative here but I found all of Joe's post-Clash albums a little lacking. Some great songs here and there but a real lack of good melody in places and not many rocking out songs. He was only in his Forties, you are allowed to kick up some shit at that age still. We needed more Coma Girls and Rockin' Worlds and less Nitcombs and Gamma Rays.
Agreed 100%. The voice is still there, magnetic as always, but the music rarely stands out and grabs. Listening to all the Mescaleros records this afternoon, I was especially struck by how easily Global-a-Go-Go just evaporated from my consciousness. A good album could be made from about half of X-Ray, a third of Streetcore, and a couple songs from Global, but way too much doesn't dent my imagination or memory.
An example of having different ears. I think those Meskies albums are consistently excellent, catchy and memorable. I don't want to turn it into Mick vs Joe solo careers or something, so I'll just say that I'm glad Joe found his way out of the wilderness and out three albums that are on par with his work with the Clash (in a good way).
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 91026
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: Strummservations

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 6:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:47pm
Heston wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:41pm
BitterTom wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:26pm
Tony Adams is such a good fucking song, loving this album. Had it on a bit too loud, baby started crying, I got a bollocking but I can honestly say it was so worth it.
I don't want to be too negative here but I found all of Joe's post-Clash albums a little lacking. Some great songs here and there but a real lack of good melody in places and not many rocking out songs. He was only in his Forties, you are allowed to kick up some shit at that age still. We needed more Coma Girls and Rockin' Worlds and less Nitcombs and Gamma Rays.
Agreed 100%. The voice is still there, magnetic as always, but the music rarely stands out and grabs. Listening to all the Mescaleros records this afternoon, I was especially struck by how easily Global-a-Go-Go just evaporated from my consciousness. A good album could be made from about half of X-Ray, a third of Streetcore, and a couple songs from Global, but way too much doesn't dent my imagination or memory.
An example of having different ears. I think those Meskies albums are consistently excellent, catchy and memorable. I don't want to turn it into Mick vs Joe solo careers or something, so I'll just say that I'm glad Joe found his way out of the wilderness and out three albums that are on par with his work with the Clash (in a good way).
As I mentioned elsewhere, it's just aesthetic preference. Post-Clash, Joe was drawn ever more to his folkie inclinations, and for the most part that's not where my tastes lie.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 34513
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: Strummservations

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 6:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:47pm
Heston wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:41pm
BitterTom wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:26pm
Tony Adams is such a good fucking song, loving this album. Had it on a bit too loud, baby started crying, I got a bollocking but I can honestly say it was so worth it.
I don't want to be too negative here but I found all of Joe's post-Clash albums a little lacking. Some great songs here and there but a real lack of good melody in places and not many rocking out songs. He was only in his Forties, you are allowed to kick up some shit at that age still. We needed more Coma Girls and Rockin' Worlds and less Nitcombs and Gamma Rays.
Agreed 100%. The voice is still there, magnetic as always, but the music rarely stands out and grabs. Listening to all the Mescaleros records this afternoon, I was especially struck by how easily Global-a-Go-Go just evaporated from my consciousness. A good album could be made from about half of X-Ray, a third of Streetcore, and a couple songs from Global, but way too much doesn't dent my imagination or memory.
An example of having different ears. I think those Meskies albums are consistently excellent, catchy and memorable. I don't want to turn it into Mick vs Joe solo careers or something, so I'll just say that I'm glad Joe found his way out of the wilderness and out three albums that are on par with his work with the Clash (in a good way).
Fair points but the "catchy" bit just passes me by. I'm a sucker for a good melody but a lot of Meskie songs never stick with me. I had to put a few tunes back on to remember them for the polls, despite hearing all the albums many times.

On the other side of the spectrum I can understand why people might find something like "Champagne" by BAD a little saccharine and opt for the weighty sound of the Meskies albums.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Post Reply