I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 4:27pm
Flex wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 4:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 4:09pm
Here's a mystery for any Mac-savvy people. My situation is a bit hard to describe, which might be why Googling has generated zilcho possibilities. But here goes: So, new Mac and now iTunes thinks I have much fewer books available to sync … sometimes. If I try to sync wirelessly, it thinks I have about 600 books. But if I plug the iPad into the Mac, it recognizes the proper number, around 3500. It's not a cloud issue, as I don't have books stored that way. The upshot is that if I sync wirelessly, it wipes out a few thousand books, and restoring them afterwards by resyncing with a cable takes quite a lot of time. The easiest solution is to never sync wirelessly, but wirelessly is a lot handier. Anyone have any ideas why iTunes is keeping two sets of books, so to speak, depending on whether I plug my iPad in with a cable or sync wirelessly?
Not praying to Mecca enought times per day?
Eight times isn't enough? What more do they want from me?

Actually, I just came to post that I accidentally solved the problem. I went into the Books app and found an option to movie the iTunes library to Books. Had no idea what that meant, and my problem seemed to be that the Books library wasn't going to iTunes, but now iTunes recognizes all the books when I sync wirelessly. I remember the olden days when Apple was the platform for people who just wanted something easy to use …
I was gonna make a snide anti-Apple remark but you kind of did it yourself.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 5:12pm
I mean, I'll likely be an Apple person till I die, but only because that's what I'm used to and all that. At one point its stuff was genuinely easier to use compared to PC machines, but now it's bloated and convoluted as hell. Annoying as fuck. That's why I don't upgrade system software anymore—it just adds to the problem.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 5:23pm
revbob wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 5:12pm
I mean, I'll likely be an Apple person till I die, but only because that's what I'm used to and all that. At one point its stuff was genuinely easier to use compared to PC machines, but now it's bloated and convoluted as hell. Annoying as fuck. That's why I don't upgrade system software anymore—it just adds to the problem.
Yeah I get it. I would still recommend an Apple for a lot of people. I just find it such a restrictive environment to work in you cant tinker with it. and I am sick of the Apple prima donnas that want their fucking toys to work on the work network.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 5:40pm
I am sick of the Apple prima donnas that want their fucking toys to work on the work network.
Are the Apple fanboys still a thing? I haven't noticed as much anymore, perhaps because so many people have iPhones and iPads—it's not as exclusive anymore. Plus how crappy the user environment is now. I'm pleased that Apple's finally killing iTunes, but I'm not at all optimistic that what they replace it with will be any better.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 7:28pm
revbob wrote:
I am sick of the Apple prima donnas that want their fucking toys to work on the work network.
Are the Apple fanboys still a thing? I haven't noticed as much anymore, perhaps because so many people have iPhones and iPads—it's not as exclusive anymore. Plus how crappy the user environment is now. I'm pleased that Apple's finally killing iTunes, but I'm not at all optimistic that what they replace it with will be any better.
Yes and they always want changes to suit them. Then one time I find this one asshole is only using his Mac to run linux VM that you can do on any computer platform.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 8:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 7:28pm
revbob wrote:
Yes and they always want changes to suit them. Then one time I find this one asshole is only using his Mac to run linux VM that you can do on any computer platform.
That's baffling that such an asshole still exists. Your corporate overlord is no longer the cool alternative to Microsoft and what it produces doesn't have a credible claim to being better anymore. (Never mind the idea of identifying fawningly with a corporation and its trinkets, no matter how useful they might be.)

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The saga of iBooks, thought finished, continued this weekend as, all of a sudden, it decided once again that there weren't as many books to sync as I actually had, so it wiped a shitload off the iPad (but not on the laptop). I finally said fuck it and abandoned iBooks altogether for a third-party epub app that you have to load books onto manually. A minor inconvenience compared to the major hassle of automatic syncs that wipe out most of the library. Good job, Apple, with your steadily increasingly clumsy and broken software.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 9:29am
The saga of iBooks, thought finished, continued this weekend as, all of a sudden, it decided once again that there weren't as many books to sync as I actually had, so it wiped a shitload off the iPad (but not on the laptop). I finally said fuck it and abandoned iBooks altogether for a third-party epub app that you have to load books onto manually. A minor inconvenience compared to the major hassle of automatic syncs that wipe out most of the library. Good job, Apple, with your steadily increasingly clumsy and broken software.
I really want to like them because I use Macs for work in the office and freelance, but yeah they suck. The jettisoning of USB ports was a big irritation for me.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 1:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 9:29am
I really want to like them because I use Macs for work in the office and freelance, but yeah they suck. The jettisoning of USB ports was a big irritation for me.
We had to buy close to $300 in various adapters now that their laptops are all USB-C ports. Once upon a time, I wouldn't have hesitated to encourage people to switch to Mac and could list off a bunch of advantages. I'd be hard pressed to do so now. In fact, a few months ago my brother-in-law was in the market for a tablet and wanted to know whether I thought he should pick an iPad or a Surface. I knew he was a Windows guy so I said Surface. If you're comfortable with the environment, there's zero reason to switch.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Yeah fuck apple.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 10:38pm
Yeah fuck apple.
revbob, official supplier of Compaq Computing Systems.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I picked up a Surface Book last year after my Macbook Pro went kaput ("r" through "i" and "f" to "j" wouldn't work, ~$800 out-of-warranty repair — el-oh-fucking-el) and can say I haven't regretted the decision at all.

Hadn't used Windows since XP and the experience is a lot cleaner — had set up a few things to bring over some missing MacOS features like Spotlight, but it's been great so far. And the detachable tablet is fantastic for marking papers and reading books/comics etc. Highly recommended if anyone's in the market.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Anyone use a trackpad for their desktop instead of a mouse? I'm musing about getting one because, with my weakening eyes, being able to zoom the screen like with my Macbook has some appeal.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Got a Samsung phone and Google assistant keeps popping up every time my headphones are in and the jack moves slightly thinking I need assistance. I don't, and it's infuriating as I can't listen to music on my dog walk. Turned the assistant off on Google settings but still keeps pausing music to try and help. Any suggestions welcome thank you.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia