ROUND 9 - The Wilderness Years, Non-Album Tracks, Pt. 1

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!

Vote for the song you like LEAST

Poll ended at 06 Jul 2019, 1:57pm

Dum Dum Club
53%
Evil Darling
47%

Total votes: 17

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

ROUND 9 - The Wilderness Years, Non-Album Tracks, Pt. 1

Post by Flex »

We killed love. Finally.

REMEMBER TO KEEP VOTING FOR THE SONG YOU LIKE LEAST. NO RE-DOS
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex

Re: ROUND 9 - The Wilderness Years, Non-Album Tracks, Pt. 1

Post by Flex »

This is a weird as hell matchup. I've been on record as liking Dum Dum Club a lot, but never thought it would make it this far - there are at least 2-3 other songs from this heat I wish had made it to this round. That said, Evil Darling is a great track - with better lyrics, licks, and production than DDC - so I have no qualms with what I suspect will be its easy victory.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Evil Darling is one of Joe's very best songs.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex

Post by Flex »

I'm not like offended or think it's wrongsville or anything, but it's really odd to me that this is tied right now. IMCT: Where we think Dum Dum Club was one of Joe's Best, apparently.

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Flex wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 7:49pm
I'm not like offended or think it's wrongsville or anything, but it's really odd to me that this is tied right now. IMCT: Where we think Dum Dum Club was one of Joe's Best, apparently.
The best of that list.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
I don't think it necessarily indicates that. It's just a comparison of two songs (and originally of, what, five or six songs?). It's a very narrow and semi-arbitrary sample. I voted against ED, tho I don't think either song is all that great shakes, because DDC has more of a spark.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 7:55pm
I don't think it necessarily indicates that. It's just a comparison of two songs (and originally of, what, five or six songs?). It's a very narrow and semi-arbitrary sample. I voted against ED, tho I don't think either song is all that great shakes, because DDC has more of a spark.
Well, I think this heat had some of Joe's finest post-Clash songs and it outlasted all those, so it making it this far is an indication of something, I'd think. I mean, I like the song, I'm just surprised it outlasted some of the other heavyweights in this heat.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 8:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Well, I think this heat had some of Joe's finest post-Clash songs and it outlasted all those, so it making it this far is an indication of something, I'd think. I mean, I like the song, I'm just surprised it outlasted some of the other heavyweights in this heat.
Clearly, you're an out-of-touch elitist who doesn't understand what kind of Wilderness Years songs are appreciated in the flyover states. Put away your craft beer latte and come to the real America.

More seriously, it might just be that people prefer Joe as rocker than Joe as "rootsy" guy (not sure that's actually the word I want).

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 8:20pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Clearly, you're an out-of-touch elitist who doesn't understand what kind of Wilderness Years songs are appreciated in the flyover states. Put away your craft beer latte and come to the real America.

More seriously, it might just be that people prefer Joe as rocker than Joe as "rootsy" guy (not sure that's actually the word I want).
I think you are correct (speaking for myself). I am not of fan of Joe’s Latino / Western type music (or whatever it is called).

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
I mean once Unknown Immortal went down, I lost faith in this board.

Kidding: I never had faith.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 8:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 8:20pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I think you are correct (speaking for myself). I am not of fan of Joe’s Latino / Western type music (or whatever it is called).
That's where I'm at. I mean, I don't hate his non-rock work or want to scream "Judas!" or anything like that, but he sounded most confident and inspiring with more aggressive music.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dum Dum Club is great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 3:07pm
Dum Dum Club is great.
It certainly is but ED is better.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 4:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 3:07pm
Dum Dum Club is great.
It certainly is but ED is better.
I really like both and it seems a bit unfair to compare them. As they were recorded for two separate soundtracks. Both work superbly for their respective movies.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia