ROUND 12 - Global A Go-Go - SEMIFINAL

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!

Vote for the song you like LEAST

Poll ended at 09 Jul 2019, 12:12pm

Bhindi Bhagee
39%
Bummed Out City
61%

Total votes: 18

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

ROUND 12 - Global A Go-Go - SEMIFINAL

Post by Flex »

The alienation of guilt or being the family from Get Out? Your choice. (*kidding*)

Remember, VOTE FOR THE SONG YOU LIKE LEAST.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex

Re: ROUND 12 - Global A Go-Go - SEMIFINAL

Post by Flex »

Really tough. Voting BB here in support of the exquisite Bummed Out City. Joe wrote a personal masterpiece with the latter, something that feels deeply personal but universal at the same time, and set it to a perfectly atmospheric song that displays the Meskies powers at full strength. A crowning achievement.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 12:29pm
Really tough. Voting BB here in support of the exquisite Bummed Out City. Joe wrote a personal masterpiece with the latter, something that feels deeply personal but universal at the same time, and set it to a perfectly atmospheric song that displays the Meskies powers at full strength. A crowning achievement.
I could flip a coin. I went BÖC, despite the Pearlman connection.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Oh god, I forgot about the second verse of Bhindi. Your music taste is SOOOOOOOO diverse Joe.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 12:52pm
Oh god, I forgot about the second verse of Bhindi. Your music taste is SOOOOOOOO diverse Joe.
:lol: I disagree, but, again, your position is damned entertaining.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 1:02pm
matedog wrote:
Reminds me of dipshits in college who think they are special because they like Children of Bodom AND Arturo Sandoval.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 1:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Reminds me of dipshits in college who think they are special because they like Children of Bodom AND Arturo Sandoval.
I know what you mean—superficial cosmopolitanism—but Flex' rebuttal last week or the week before that made the point that we know Joe had the experience and perspective to belie that shallow interpretation. But it's fair to regard the lyric as too clumsy (or even weirdly satirical of those shallow liberals).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Oh yeah, we all knew those guys.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 2:06pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
I know what you mean—superficial cosmopolitanism—but Flex' rebuttal last week or the week before that made the point that we know Joe had the experience and perspective to belie that shallow interpretation. But it's fair to regard the lyric as too clumsy (or even weirdly satirical of those shallow liberals).
That's really the issue for me. Sure I know Joe knows better, but he still sounds like that for the duration of the song in a few different ways.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 2:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 2:06pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
That's really the issue for me. Sure I know Joe knows better, but he still sounds like that for the duration of the song in a few different ways.
I'm more charitable or tolerant of the lyrics than you, but, yeah, I'd prefer it wasn't done in the first person because it does lend itself to that "college dipshit" voice.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Interpretations of Joe's lyrics aside, accepting the premise in favor of disdain for folks (perhaps clumsily) expressing excitement for newly experienced cultural diversity just seems like "savvy cynicism" outsmarting itself.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 2:55pm
Interpretations of Joe's lyrics aside, accepting the premise in favor of disdain for folks (perhaps clumsily) expressing excitement for newly experienced cultural diversity just seems like "savvy cynicism" outsmarting itself.
I agree in a larger sense—that "savvy cynicism" is its own kind of cosmopolitan smugness—but it's not unfair to be skeptical of shallow cultural dabbling, especially if it's just about status (being hipper than thou). It's not what Joe was trying to convey, obviously, but it's not hard to read those words coming from, as Hoy said, "college dipshits."

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Ouch, I was gone a few days and Mondo Bongo looses to by a vote to Bummed Out City :huh: To my ears BOC is the least interesting track on this album. Are y'all just fucking around voting it this far?

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 3:09pm
I agree in a larger sense—that "savvy cynicism" is its own kind of cosmopolitan smugness—but it's not unfair to be skeptical of shallow cultural dabbling, especially if it's just about status (being hipper than thou). It's not what Joe was trying to convey, obviously, but it's not hard to read those words coming from, as Hoy said, "college dipshits."
I was just thinking on this - and the parallel with "would have voted for Obama for a third term" Get Out family - what I think is missing from the criticism of the song is thinking about the class interests that go into the proverbial cultural tourism. Is this about genuine appreciation for cultural diversity - clumsy or not - or is it about using culture as a tool to mask a person's class interest in decimating said cultural diversity. That's what grates about a certain kind of person that, presumably, Hoy is thinking of - they're the kinds of folks who claim to want to live in a diverse neighborhood but support policies that lead to gentrification, for example.

I have a hard time finding an expression of that hostile class interest in BB, and I think it was Wally who mentioned Joe would be lamenting the gentrification that has come to his beloved neighborhood.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 2:55pm
Word.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"