Pets.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: Pets.

Post by JennyB »

BitterTom wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 11:53am
revbob wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 11:34am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 10:43am
revbob wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 10:33am

Stories like this remind me why I dont have a dog.
The dumb things that house monsters do is astounding. My mother often tells me that my dad paid a vet to do one thing and one thing only—spaying/neutering. If they got sick, they got better on their own or died. If they were injured or old, he'd … take care of it. I'm aghast at that attitude, but he grew up on a farm and animals were not family.
I'm referring more to the shit eating rather than vet bills
But yeah on farms cats and dogs are more utilitarian.
Even worse with Roxy, she's a big licker, she licks everything so trying to stop her with her shitty mouth wasn't easy.
Scout is a big licker too. She always tried to lick up my nose, which evidently means that she was the runt of the litter and the only way for her to get food as a puppy was to lick up her mom's nose to get her to vomit.

Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 9:25am
BitterTom wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

The dumb things that house monsters do is astounding. My mother often tells me that my dad paid a vet to do one thing and one thing only—spaying/neutering. If they got sick, they got better on their own or died. If they were injured or old, he'd … take care of it. I'm aghast at that attitude, but he grew up on a farm and animals were not family.
Even worse with Roxy, she's a big licker, she licks everything so trying to stop her with her shitty mouth wasn't easy.
Scout is a big licker too. She always tried to lick up my nose, which evidently means that she was the runt of the litter and the only way for her to get food as a puppy was to lick up her mom's nose to get her to vomit.

That knowledge isn't empowering. :yuck:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

JennyB wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 9:25am
BitterTom wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I never knew that though it explains why Roxy does it, noses are crack cocaine to her. Grim though.

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

Saturday night we're watching Stranger Things & we hear this incessant meowing coming from outside. We investigate & find a kitten, probably about 4-6 weeks old, around the corner of the house by the back fence. Looks like she (I say she but I assume all kittens are she) got ditched or separated from it's mom. We managed to lure it out of the fenced-in back yard (we have dogs & that wouldn't have gone well) w/ food. She wouldn't let us get close enough to pick her up so we left more food on the porch & thought mom might show up overnight. Nope. Didn't happen. Next day she'd moved the safety of our side garden trellis. More food. We stopped in to our local humane society (which is just a couple blocks over from us) to see if they had any suggestions. They could rent us a trap but they're so overwhelmed w/ feline drop-offs that they'd just put her down if we did bring her in. Nope. We're NOT doing that. Anyway, after a couple of days of feeding I was able to pet her & scoop her up & get her inside this morning. She's set up in the downstairs bathroom away from the other dogs & cats 'til we get her checked out at the vet on Thursday. So, looks like another critter for us.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JoseUnidos wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 5:00pm
Saturday night we're watching Stranger Things & we hear this incessant meowing coming from outside. We investigate & find a kitten, probably about 4-6 weeks old, around the corner of the house by the back fence. Looks like she (I say she but I assume all kittens are she) got ditched or separated from it's mom. We managed to lure it out of the fenced-in back yard (we have dogs & that wouldn't have gone well) w/ food. She wouldn't let us get close enough to pick her up so we left more food on the porch & thought mom might show up overnight. Nope. Didn't happen. Next day she'd moved the safety of our side garden trellis. More food. We stopped in to our local humane society (which is just a couple blocks over from us) to see if they had any suggestions. They could rent us a trap but they're so overwhelmed w/ feline drop-offs that they'd just put her down if we did bring her in. Nope. We're NOT doing that. Anyway, after a couple of days of feeding I was able to pet her & scoop her up & get her inside this morning. She's set up in the downstairs bathroom away from the other dogs & cats 'til we get her checked out at the vet on Thursday. So, looks like another critter for us.
You're good people. :approve: Poor little kitty, tho. Breaks my heart when an animal gets lost from their home, but when they beat the odds and find a loving home, the world seems pretty damn good. Pictures when you can, please!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

JoseUnidos wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 5:00pm
Awww!!!!

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Cat owners: do you notice a decrease in appetite during the summer?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 8:34pm
Luke and Zoë, no—at all; they eat like they escaped a famine. Charlotte, a little bit. A couple days each week she'll eat sparingly.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 8:51pm
Mimi wrote:
Luke and Zoë, no—at all; they eat like they escaped a famine. Charlotte, a little bit. A couple days each week she'll eat sparingly.
Ok. I believe Licorice does this, but I never really noticed. Since the kidney crisis of 2018, I've been paranoid any time she slows down.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 8:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Ok. I believe Licorice does this, but I never really noticed. Since the kidney crisis of 2018, I've been paranoid any time she slows down.
She's over ten now, isn't she? Older cats also eat less (probably cos they aren't as energetic).

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 9:00pm
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
She's over ten now, isn't she? Older cats also eat less (probably cos they aren't as energetic).
11. I'm hoping this is a hairball or food change thing. She's interested but doesn't want to eat.
It's been hot as ass here, tho.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 9:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
11. I'm hoping this is a hairball or food change thing. She's interested but doesn't want to eat.
Do you feed her both wet and dry food? Sometimes cats just decide they're sick of a food, but if they have variety you have that kind of back up while finding a substitute. We learned that the hard way with our first set of cats. Since getting these, they get dry in the morning and wet in the evening, mainly to insulate if they decide they don't like one type.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 9:30pm
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Do you feed her both wet and dry food? Sometimes cats just decide they're sick of a food, but if they have variety you have that kind of back up while finding a substitute. We learned that the hard way with our first set of cats. Since getting these, they get dry in the morning and wet in the evening, mainly to insulate if they decide they don't like one type.
I won't do dry food with her since she has kidney issues, so she gets all wet with a little extra water to keep her kidney's flushed. She's the pickiest eater, making it hard for me to change anything. She did eat this morning. Her interest is stronger even if she ate it in stages. For all I know she might've had tummy troubles.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 7:28am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I won't do dry food with her since she has kidney issues, so she gets all wet with a little extra water to keep her kidney's flushed. She's the pickiest eater, making it hard for me to change anything. She did eat this morning. Her interest is stronger even if she ate it in stages. For all I know she might've had tummy troubles.
Gotcha. One thing that works with Charlotte when she decides she isn't interested is to put her at the bowl and pet her. That sometimes gets her going or at least she'll have a few mouthfuls.

I just had a memory flash of when our boy Dickens—he the survivor of cancer, diabetes, bladder infections, intestinal blockages—decided he wasn't going to eat. Our vet recommended put wet food in a giant syringe and squirt it down his throat. Which we did. Everyone hated the experience but after a few days he was back to eating on his own. Absolute madness.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 8:11am
Mimi wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 7:28am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Gotcha. One thing that works with Charlotte when she decides she isn't interested is to put her at the bowl and pet her. That sometimes gets her going or at least she'll have a few mouthfuls.

I just had a memory flash of when our boy Dickens—he the survivor of cancer, diabetes, bladder infections, intestinal blockages—decided he wasn't going to eat. Our vet recommended put wet food in a giant syringe and squirt it down his throat. Which we did. Everyone hated the experience but after a few days he was back to eating on his own. Absolute madness.
Syringe feeding is a life saver. Licorice wouldn't be here today if I hadn't done it last year.