Pets.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Pets.

Post by JoseUnidos »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 5:09pm
JoseUnidos wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 5:00pm
Saturday night we're watching Stranger Things & we hear this incessant meowing coming from outside. We investigate & find a kitten, probably about 4-6 weeks old, around the corner of the house by the back fence. Looks like she (I say she but I assume all kittens are she) got ditched or separated from it's mom. We managed to lure it out of the fenced-in back yard (we have dogs & that wouldn't have gone well) w/ food. She wouldn't let us get close enough to pick her up so we left more food on the porch & thought mom might show up overnight. Nope. Didn't happen. Next day she'd moved the safety of our side garden trellis. More food. We stopped in to our local humane society (which is just a couple blocks over from us) to see if they had any suggestions. They could rent us a trap but they're so overwhelmed w/ feline drop-offs that they'd just put her down if we did bring her in. Nope. We're NOT doing that. Anyway, after a couple of days of feeding I was able to pet her & scoop her up & get her inside this morning. She's set up in the downstairs bathroom away from the other dogs & cats 'til we get her checked out at the vet on Thursday. So, looks like another critter for us.
You're good people. :approve: Poor little kitty, tho. Breaks my heart when an animal gets lost from their home, but when they beat the odds and find a loving home, the world seems pretty damn good. Pictures when you can, please!
Thanks Doc!
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

JoseUnidos wrote:
Saturday night we're watching Stranger Things & we hear this incessant meowing coming from outside. We investigate & find a kitten, probably about 4-6 weeks old, around the corner of the house by the back fence. Looks like she (I say she but I assume all kittens are she) got ditched or separated from it's mom. We managed to lure it out of the fenced-in back yard (we have dogs & that wouldn't have gone well) w/ food. She wouldn't let us get close enough to pick her up so we left more food on the porch & thought mom might show up overnight. Nope. Didn't happen. Next day she'd moved the safety of our side garden trellis. More food. We stopped in to our local humane society (which is just a couple blocks over from us) to see if they had any suggestions. They could rent us a trap but they're so overwhelmed w/ feline drop-offs that they'd just put her down if we did bring her in. Nope. We're NOT doing that. Anyway, after a couple of days of feeding I was able to pet her & scoop her up & get her inside this morning. She's set up in the downstairs bathroom away from the other dogs & cats 'til we get her checked out at the vet on Thursday. So, looks like another critter for us.
Good work, JU. She knew where to find her people. Lucky kitty!

ETA - just saw the pic you posted. She's beautiful! Any name yet? She kind of looks like a Sid. :mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 9:16am
ETA - just saw the pic you posted. She's beautiful! Any name yet? She kind of looks like a Sid. :mrgreen:
My sister and former brother-in-law once had an all-black cat like that named Sid!

Kittens are just perfect. You couldn't create a better living being than a kitten.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 8:52am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 8:11am
Mimi wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 7:28am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 9:30pm
Mimi wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 9:03pm

11. I'm hoping this is a hairball or food change thing. She's interested but doesn't want to eat.
It's been hot as ass here, tho.
Do you feed her both wet and dry food? Sometimes cats just decide they're sick of a food, but if they have variety you have that kind of back up while finding a substitute. We learned that the hard way with our first set of cats. Since getting these, they get dry in the morning and wet in the evening, mainly to insulate if they decide they don't like one type.
I won't do dry food with her since she has kidney issues, so she gets all wet with a little extra water to keep her kidney's flushed. She's the pickiest eater, making it hard for me to change anything. She did eat this morning. Her interest is stronger even if she ate it in stages. For all I know she might've had tummy troubles.
Gotcha. One thing that works with Charlotte when she decides she isn't interested is to put her at the bowl and pet her. That sometimes gets her going or at least she'll have a few mouthfuls.

I just had a memory flash of when our boy Dickens—he the survivor of cancer, diabetes, bladder infections, intestinal blockages—decided he wasn't going to eat. Our vet recommended put wet food in a giant syringe and squirt it down his throat. Which we did. Everyone hated the experience but after a few days he was back to eating on his own. Absolute madness.
Syringe feeding is a life saver. Licorice wouldn't be here today if I hadn't done it last year.
But what an awful experience for all involved!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Just met the sweetest house panther ever up for adoption at Petsmart. The tag description said he was shy at first. Really? The dude was head-butting the plexiglass when I was there. He wanted me to take him home. If I didn't have two seniors, I would have.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 10:28am
Just met the sweetest house panther ever up for adoption at Petsmart. The tag description said he was shy at first. Really? The dude was head-butting the plexiglass when I was there. He wanted me to take him home. If I didn't have two seniors, I would have.
That's why I can't go to places like that. I feel guilty for not giving them a home. If I were obscenely wealthy, I'd end up with fifty cats on a country estate.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 10:44am
Mimi wrote:
That's why I can't go to places like that. I feel guilty for not giving them a home. If I were obscenely wealthy, I'd end up with fifty cats on a country estate.
Right?! It was hard to leave the store today. :cry:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JoseUnidos wrote:
Black cats are awesome. We have 2 living with us. Also awesome that this little lost kitten found some great people to come to the rescue!!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

WestwayKid wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 11:14am
JoseUnidos wrote:
Black cats are awesome. We have 2 living with us. Also awesome that this little lost kitten found some great people to come to the rescue!!
Thanks! She's headed to the vet first thing tomorrow. Except for some fleas she seems in good health/spirits, so fingers crossed. Altho we're not completely 100% that we'll keep her (we may foster instead if it's an option) she will have a good home either way. Our other 2 cats are also (mostly) black so she'd fit right in w/ us.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 10:44am
Mimi wrote:
The only thing that comforts me is that Petco and Petsmart generally work with no-kill rescues, so I don't worry about cats being euthanized. But it's still hard. What's gotten harder for me, now that we have a hamster and betta, is leaving them there! I know have two pets (aside from our dog) who have to live alone or else they will fight to the death.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The boy's hanging out with me on the upstairs porch while I read. His nose has been perpetually scratched up since he came here because he keeps pissing off his sisters. But he's a sweet little asshole.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 2:11pm
The boy's hanging out with me on the upstairs porch while I read. His nose has been perpetually scratched up since he came here because he keeps pissing off his sisters. But he's a sweet little asshole.
Glad to see he's doing well (other than the scratched up nose)!!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 2:11pm
Very cute!

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

I love kittens (cat) with mittens.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Mimi wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 6:07pm