What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by BitterTom »

Love the original, and this is musically excellent. Flowers' vocals did not work at all though which was a shame. Sounded like he was trying too hard and suffering with severe stage fright.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190708-121206_deezer.jpg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

If genre compilations are excluded, this is my favourite no wave record. It's also a good introduction to no wave as it's conventional enough sounding, I think, despite its purposeful monotony.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Your Girlfriend by Blossoms. Song of the year so far for me, such a great tune. Vocal sound is superb as is the instrumentation, saw them live a year ago, would love to see them again.

Favourite YouTube comment, "this is Jessie's Girl on crack."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

As is often the case, if anyone here knows these guys, it'll be Kory. And if Kory doesn't know 'em, he might dig 'em.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 6:43pm
As is often the case, if anyone here knows these guys, it'll be Kory. And if Kory doesn't know 'em, he might dig 'em.
Hello,

I had this cd once. It came with a lot of cd's I bought on ebay. I don't remember it's sound much - vaguely dub-ish ambient techno (how's that for non-descript)?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 7:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 6:43pm
Hello,

I had this cd once. It came with a lot of cd's I bought on ebay. I don't remember it's sound much - vaguely dub-ish ambient techno (how's that for non-descript)?
Yup, that's exactly it for a description! It was years before I found out they were Canadian. I always assumed they were just another faceless UK techno act.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 12:50pm
Your Girlfriend by Blossoms. Song of the year so far for me, such a great tune. Vocal sound is superb as is the instrumentation, saw them live a year ago, would love to see them again.

Hummable track, I've added it to my 2019 playlist for future listening. The start sounds like the fabulous "Gertcha" by Chas and Dave...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 7:36pm
BitterTom wrote:

Hummable track, I've added it to my 2019 playlist for future listening. The start sounds like the fabulous "Gertcha" by Chas and Dave...

It does! Love Chas and Dave and this one and Rabbit are my go to karaoke choices. Sure there's a video of me doing Rabbit actually, will have to find it. But yeah nearly everything I've heard from Blossoms is great, definitely one to see again.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

BitterTom wrote:

Photo of their pub, taken while stopped at traffic lights while cycling home! If someone could turn it round a bit so it doesn’t look like I fell off m6 bike, please. :)
Attachments
1A4919DB-DE61-46A8-A4B8-7EC48C33E5D3.jpeg

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

And while I was cycling today I was listening to Auchtermatic, by Billy MacKenzie.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Great couple of albums.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 12:38pm
BitterTom wrote:

Photo of their pub, taken while stopped at traffic lights while cycling home! If someone could turn it round a bit so it doesn’t look like I fell off m6 bike, please. :)
Couldn't do it on my phone.
Attachments
1A4919DB-DE61-46A8-A4B8-7EC48C33E5D3.jpeg.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I made this playlist for a friend who has expressed an interest in getting into post-punk. Did I leave anyone out?

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5YCvI ... GVINf_45qw
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 6:51pm
I made this playlist for a friend who has expressed an interest in getting into post-punk. Did I leave anyone out?

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5YCvI ... GVINf_45qw
Is there a conscious reason for no American bands? Talking Heads, for example, are as important as anyone to a discussion about a post-punk aesthetic. Another couple American bands that comes to mind are Suburban Lawns and Romeo Void.

That said, you hit the high notes for UK artists (maybe Bauhaus should be in there?).