Pets.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: Pets.

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 2:11pm
The boy's hanging out with me on the upstairs porch while I read. His nose has been perpetually scratched up since he came here because he keeps pissing off his sisters. But he's a sweet little asshole.
He looks like one of our dead cats. Lucy was an asshole too.

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

JoseUnidos wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 2:00pm
WestwayKid wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 11:14am
JoseUnidos wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 5:00pm
Saturday night we're watching Stranger Things & we hear this incessant meowing coming from outside. We investigate & find a kitten, probably about 4-6 weeks old, around the corner of the house by the back fence. Looks like she (I say she but I assume all kittens are she) got ditched or separated from it's mom. We managed to lure it out of the fenced-in back yard (we have dogs & that wouldn't have gone well) w/ food. She wouldn't let us get close enough to pick her up so we left more food on the porch & thought mom might show up overnight. Nope. Didn't happen. Next day she'd moved the safety of our side garden trellis. More food. We stopped in to our local humane society (which is just a couple blocks over from us) to see if they had any suggestions. They could rent us a trap but they're so overwhelmed w/ feline drop-offs that they'd just put her down if we did bring her in. Nope. We're NOT doing that. Anyway, after a couple of days of feeding I was able to pet her & scoop her up & get her inside this morning. She's set up in the downstairs bathroom away from the other dogs & cats 'til we get her checked out at the vet on Thursday. So, looks like another critter for us.
Black cats are awesome. We have 2 living with us. Also awesome that this little lost kitten found some great people to come to the rescue!!
Thanks! She's headed to the vet first thing tomorrow. Except for some fleas she seems in good health/spirits, so fingers crossed. Altho we're not completely 100% that we'll keep her (we may foster instead if it's an option) she will have a good home either way. Our other 2 cats are also (mostly) black so she'd fit right in w/ us.
Update: We're back from the vet & she (she IS a she) has a clean bill of health - no bugs or parasites which is kind of amazing given our climate. Her name is Hopper - after Dennis (actor), Edward (painter), and/or David Harbour's character on Stranger Things. She also likes to hop around so there's that too. And we're keeping her for sure. Not to get too whooey-whooey but I believe sometimes critters find us. Next step this weekend is to introduce her to our other cats Pie & Katerina..
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JoseUnidos wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 2:28pm
Update: We're back from the vet & she (she IS a she) has a clean bill of health - no bugs or parasites which is kind of amazing given our climate. Her name is Hopper - after Dennis (actor), Edward (painter), and/or David Harbour's character on Stranger Things. She also likes to hop around so there's that too. And we're keeping her for sure. Not to get too whooey-whooey but I believe sometimes critters find us. Next step this weekend is to introduce her to our other cats Pie & Katerina..
That's great news all around. And Hopper's a fun name. Hopefully her youth means the other two won't see her as a challenger in any way.

Officially, I don't believe that there's anything fated about all this stuff, but the day Luke showed up during a morning of freezing rain, I was supposed to be in the basement riding the bike. But I was being a lazy suck-ass that morning, so I happened to be on the main floor when he came to the front window. It was the dumbest of luck that I was around to see him at all, but it does feel like it was meant to happen (silly, I know).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

tepista wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 5:07pm
holy shit, that goes on a long time before it loops.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 2:38pm
JoseUnidos wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 2:28pm
That's great news all around. And Hopper's a fun name. Hopefully her youth means the other two won't see her as a challenger in any way.

Officially, I don't believe that there's anything fated about all this stuff, but the day Luke showed up during a morning of freezing rain, I was supposed to be in the basement riding the bike. But I was being a lazy suck-ass that morning, so I happened to be on the main floor when he came to the front window. It was the dumbest of luck that I was around to see him at all, but it does feel like it was meant to happen (silly, I know).
Not silly. Kitty was meant to happen. Even my dog was meant to happen.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Mimi wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 10:28am
Just met the sweetest house panther ever up for adoption at Petsmart. The tag description said he was shy at first. Really? The dude was head-butting the plexiglass when I was there. He wanted me to take him home. If I didn't have two seniors, I would have.
Here's that panther. He's so tall.
20190712_181220.jpg

Okay, so phone files are sideways. :scared:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 8:28am
Mimi wrote:
Just met the sweetest house panther ever up for adoption at Petsmart. The tag description said he was shy at first. Really? The dude was head-butting the plexiglass when I was there. He wanted me to take him home. If I didn't have two seniors, I would have.
Here's that panther. He's so tall. 20190712_181220.jpg

What a long face, like a big ol' wild cat. Ya know, I just went from two to three cats and so has JoseUnidos … it's clearly a thing we're doing here. ;)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 9:24am
Mimi wrote:
Mimi wrote:

What a long face, like a big ol' wild cat. Ya know, I just went from two to three cats and so has JoseUnidos … it's clearly a thing we're doing here. ;)
I would in a heartbeat if I thought either one of the cats could handle it. Licorice hasn't been the same since Kitty died, to be honest.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 7:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 9:24am
Mimi wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I would in a heartbeat if I thought either one of the cats could handle it. Licorice hasn't been the same since Kitty died, to be honest.
I know, just joshing. It's a tough tug-of-war between wanting to give a home to a kitty and your responsibility to those already under your roof.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Long boy
863E8836-9F29-4B86-96C1-B1EC561D7D47.jpeg
Attachments
22570018-CDC9-408D-8C34-FD3761B068AD.jpeg

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Roxy hates me, we go out for 45 minutes every night but it's far too hot, still 28° here. It was cooler last night and she struggled then. Next weather check at 9pm.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

There was a baby snake out on the front porch. I called Butters over to watch it slither around. He watched it as it went out of sight and off the side of the porch. I reached over to touch him. He flew in the air. I tried to touch him again. Same thing. He searched the floor for the snake, sniffing, his hair fluffy. I had to laugh but was fascinated by his reaction. Did he know that thing was a snake or was he just freaked out by the movement? He's okay with the skinks but this was a little bigger. Maybe?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 4:14pm
There was a baby snake out on the front porch. I called Butters over to watch it slither around. He watched it as it went out of sight and off the side of the porch. I reached over to touch him. He flew in the air. I tried to touch him again. Same thing. He searched the floor for the snake, sniffing, his hair fluffy. I had to laugh but was fascinated by his reaction. Did he know that thing was a snake or was he just freaked out by the movement? He's okay with the skinks but this was a little bigger. Maybe?
Gotta be the hardwiring fight/flight impulse connected to movement. It's amazing how a cat's behaviour transforms when it catches sight of something foreign moving.