ROUND 18 - THE FINALS - IV

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!

Vote for the song you like LEAST

Poll ended at 17 Jul 2019, 11:08am

Trash City
29%
Yalla Yalla
14%
Bhindee Bhagee
52%
Get Down Moses
5%

Total votes: 21

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: ROUND 18 - THE FINALS - IV

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It is positively eerie how much Hoy sounds like Heston when he reimagines his many, many, many (many) poll defeats.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 5:56pm
What a weird final four. You have one legit great song (GDM), two good but flawed songs (TC, YY), and one god awful song. So many better songs got the boot before this, it suggests a far worse solo Strummer oeuvre than is actually the case.
I agree these last four do Strummer no favours. One great song in BB, and three bang average ones. Rabies From the Dogs of Love pisses on them all.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 6:28pm
matedog wrote:
What a weird final four. You have one legit great song (GDM), two good but flawed songs (TC, YY), and one god awful song. So many better songs got the boot before this, it suggests a far worse solo Strummer oeuvre than is actually the case.
I agree these last four do Strummer no favours. One great song in BB, and three bang average ones. Rabies From the Dogs of Love pisses on them all.
Speaking of suffering from rabies …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Christ. How can you both disagree on this almost entirely but still both be the wrongest person on planet wrong?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 6:40pm
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Christ. How can you both disagree on this almost entirely but still both be the wrongest person on planet wrong?
There is more rock and roll attitude in the guitar solo of Rabies than all these four songs put together.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Ok, Trash City is a bit better than average for the lyrics alone.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 6:08pm
matedog wrote:
Not true say the polls!
Don’t use my words against me! Even if it totally works in context.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.