What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Listening to a bunch of Ian Crause (of Disco Inferno "fame") songs. He's recorded very sporadically since the band ended, but this single from 2000 has quite grown on me.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 1:08pm
Came across a reference to this in a book. Never heard of the magazine, but Tellus, I gather, put out weird cassette compilations of underground artists. This one caught my eye because it has a piece by Sue Hanel, an early Swans member. People like Thurston Moore swore by her ability—and this one track is pretty shit hot—but nobody knows what happened to her (common speculation is that she od'd). Anyhoo, this is some cool guitar snark.
She's a bit of a mystery, correct? Came from nowhere - appeared briefly (and brilliantly) - and then disappeared.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 1:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 1:08pm
Came across a reference to this in a book. Never heard of the magazine, but Tellus, I gather, put out weird cassette compilations of underground artists. This one caught my eye because it has a piece by Sue Hanel, an early Swans member. People like Thurston Moore swore by her ability—and this one track is pretty shit hot—but nobody knows what happened to her (common speculation is that she od'd). Anyhoo, this is some cool guitar snark.
She's a bit of a mystery, correct? Came from nowhere - appeared briefly (and brilliantly) - and then disappeared.
Right. Talented as fuck but erratic. Gira kicked her out of Swans because, as good as she was, she couldn't do the same thing over and over, and the essence of the group's sound was monotony. The guy who just published an oral history of Swans had no luck tracking her down. Maybe she found Jesus and moved to Phoenix. Maybe she od'd in a squat and was never properly identified. But everyone from that scene swears by her talent.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

'You're Never Alone With a Schizophrenic' - Ian Hunter w/Mick Ronson (1979; 2009 30th Anniversary edition w/ outtakes and second live disc)
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

muppet hi fi wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 7:01pm
'You're Never Alone With a Schizophrenic' - Ian Hunter w/Mick Ronson (1979; 2009 30th Anniversary edition w/ outtakes and second live disc)
Hello,

I just have the original. I'm guessing this is worth it - a live Ian Hunter disc is usually a sure bet.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dome 1. Parts of it drag, but they hit enough strange sounds and paces that I come back to it again and again. What Lewis and Gilbert did during Wire's first break is undoubtedly the most fruitful of their various non-Wire records.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

gkbill wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 12:39pm
Hello,

I just have the original. I'm guessing this is worth it - a live Ian Hunter disc is usually a sure bet.
Yeah, it's every bit as good as 'Welcome to the Club'. Taken from the Agora Ballroom, Cleveland; Berkely, CA; and five tracks from the Hammersmith Odeon in London - which was kind of a Holy Grail gig for collectors, though the whole show was finally released on that massive 30 disc box 'Stranded In Reality' (which I actually bought new for $300 :scared: ).

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 2:30pm
Dome 1. Parts of it drag, but they hit enough strange sounds and paces that I come back to it again and again. What Lewis and Gilbert did during Wire's first break is undoubtedly the most fruitful of their various non-Wire records.
I always really liked Dome 1 and 2. You turned me onto that when I was asking for a wire primer, iirc.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 3:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I always really liked Dome 1 and 2. You turned me onto that when I was asking for a wire primer, iirc.
That was shockingly perceptive on my part to recommend those. But I'm glad you like them. Certainly not for everyone.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 3:49pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That was shockingly perceptive on my part to recommend those. But I'm glad you like them. Certainly not for everyone.
Always love a good recommendation for punk music :shifty:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 4:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 3:49pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Always love a good recommendation for punk music :shifty:
If I ever get around to compiling a list, you'll be on it!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Is "Just Another Night" on that record? It is going to be the next thing I buy.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

tepista wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 4:39pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Is "Just Another Night" on that record? It is going to be the next thing I buy.
Yep, first track. Perfect album, massive sound.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

My proudest accomplishment in life is cajoling Inder into loving Wire. Which shows how pathetic my life is.

This is my all-time favorite Wire solo track. It always reminds me of Christmas, which is around the time I first heard it back in 86.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I woke up with Bad Night in my head this morning but I haven't listened to Commercial Zone in ages. WTF?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc