What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 84723
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 31 Jul 2019, 12:50pm

Listening to a bunch of Ian Crause (of Disco Inferno "fame") songs. He's recorded very sporadically since the band ended, but this single from 2000 has quite grown on me.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3191
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by WestwayKid » 31 Jul 2019, 1:53pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 1:08pm
Image
Came across a reference to this in a book. Never heard of the magazine, but Tellus, I gather, put out weird cassette compilations of underground artists. This one caught my eye because it has a piece by Sue Hanel, an early Swans member. People like Thurston Moore swore by her ability—and this one track is pretty shit hot—but nobody knows what happened to her (common speculation is that she od'd). Anyhoo, this is some cool guitar snark.
She's a bit of a mystery, correct? Came from nowhere - appeared briefly (and brilliantly) - and then disappeared.
"If they believed in a place called Kokomo, then so did I." - Michael Edward Love

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 84723
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 31 Jul 2019, 2:10pm

WestwayKid wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 1:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 1:08pm
Image
Came across a reference to this in a book. Never heard of the magazine, but Tellus, I gather, put out weird cassette compilations of underground artists. This one caught my eye because it has a piece by Sue Hanel, an early Swans member. People like Thurston Moore swore by her ability—and this one track is pretty shit hot—but nobody knows what happened to her (common speculation is that she od'd). Anyhoo, this is some cool guitar snark.
She's a bit of a mystery, correct? Came from nowhere - appeared briefly (and brilliantly) - and then disappeared.
Right. Talented as fuck but erratic. Gira kicked her out of Swans because, as good as she was, she couldn't do the same thing over and over, and the essence of the group's sound was monotony. The guy who just published an oral history of Swans had no luck tracking her down. Maybe she found Jesus and moved to Phoenix. Maybe she od'd in a squat and was never properly identified. But everyone from that scene swears by her talent.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5013
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by muppet hi fi » 31 Jul 2019, 7:01pm

'You're Never Alone With a Schizophrenic' - Ian Hunter w/Mick Ronson (1979; 2009 30th Anniversary edition w/ outtakes and second live disc)
Image
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

gkbill
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1594
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 9:21pm

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by gkbill » 01 Aug 2019, 12:39pm

muppet hi fi wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 7:01pm
'You're Never Alone With a Schizophrenic' - Ian Hunter w/Mick Ronson (1979; 2009 30th Anniversary edition w/ outtakes and second live disc)
Image
Hello,

I just have the original. I'm guessing this is worth it - a live Ian Hunter disc is usually a sure bet.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 84723
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 Aug 2019, 2:30pm

Image
Dome 1. Parts of it drag, but they hit enough strange sounds and paces that I come back to it again and again. What Lewis and Gilbert did during Wire's first break is undoubtedly the most fruitful of their various non-Wire records.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5013
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by muppet hi fi » 01 Aug 2019, 3:26pm

gkbill wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 12:39pm
Hello,

I just have the original. I'm guessing this is worth it - a live Ian Hunter disc is usually a sure bet.
Yeah, it's every bit as good as 'Welcome to the Club'. Taken from the Agora Ballroom, Cleveland; Berkely, CA; and five tracks from the Hammersmith Odeon in London - which was kind of a Holy Grail gig for collectors, though the whole show was finally released on that massive 30 disc box 'Stranded In Reality' (which I actually bought new for $300 :scared: ).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 28367
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Flex » 01 Aug 2019, 3:30pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 2:30pm
Image
Dome 1. Parts of it drag, but they hit enough strange sounds and paces that I come back to it again and again. What Lewis and Gilbert did during Wire's first break is undoubtedly the most fruitful of their various non-Wire records.
I always really liked Dome 1 and 2. You turned me onto that when I was asking for a wire primer, iirc.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 84723
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 Aug 2019, 3:49pm

Flex wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 3:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 2:30pm
Image
Dome 1. Parts of it drag, but they hit enough strange sounds and paces that I come back to it again and again. What Lewis and Gilbert did during Wire's first break is undoubtedly the most fruitful of their various non-Wire records.
I always really liked Dome 1 and 2. You turned me onto that when I was asking for a wire primer, iirc.
That was shockingly perceptive on my part to recommend those. But I'm glad you like them. Certainly not for everyone.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 28367
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Flex » 01 Aug 2019, 4:25pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 3:49pm
Flex wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 3:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 2:30pm
Image
Dome 1. Parts of it drag, but they hit enough strange sounds and paces that I come back to it again and again. What Lewis and Gilbert did during Wire's first break is undoubtedly the most fruitful of their various non-Wire records.
I always really liked Dome 1 and 2. You turned me onto that when I was asking for a wire primer, iirc.
That was shockingly perceptive on my part to recommend those. But I'm glad you like them. Certainly not for everyone.
Always love a good recommendation for punk music :shifty:
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 84723
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 Aug 2019, 4:34pm

Flex wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 4:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 3:49pm
Flex wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 3:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 2:30pm
Image
Dome 1. Parts of it drag, but they hit enough strange sounds and paces that I come back to it again and again. What Lewis and Gilbert did during Wire's first break is undoubtedly the most fruitful of their various non-Wire records.
I always really liked Dome 1 and 2. You turned me onto that when I was asking for a wire primer, iirc.
That was shockingly perceptive on my part to recommend those. But I'm glad you like them. Certainly not for everyone.
Always love a good recommendation for punk music :shifty:
If I ever get around to compiling a list, you'll be on it!
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 34086
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by tepista » 01 Aug 2019, 4:39pm

muppet hi fi wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 7:01pm
'You're Never Alone With a Schizophrenic' - Ian Hunter w/Mick Ronson (1979; 2009 30th Anniversary edition w/ outtakes and second live disc)
Is "Just Another Night" on that record? It is going to be the next thing I buy.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5013
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by muppet hi fi » 01 Aug 2019, 6:10pm

tepista wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 4:39pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 7:01pm
'You're Never Alone With a Schizophrenic' - Ian Hunter w/Mick Ronson (1979; 2009 30th Anniversary edition w/ outtakes and second live disc)
Is "Just Another Night" on that record? It is going to be the next thing I buy.
Yep, first track. Perfect album, massive sound.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

IkarisOne
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2998
Joined: 24 Aug 2008, 10:09pm

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by IkarisOne » 01 Aug 2019, 10:46pm

My proudest accomplishment in life is cajoling Inder into loving Wire. Which shows how pathetic my life is.

This is my all-time favorite Wire solo track. It always reminds me of Christmas, which is around the time I first heard it back in 86.


Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 11081
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Kory » 02 Aug 2019, 1:03pm

I woke up with Bad Night in my head this morning but I haven't listened to Commercial Zone in ages. WTF?
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests