What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 1:03pm
I woke up with Bad Night in my head this morning but I haven't listened to Commercial Zone in ages. WTF?
And have you felt compelled to listen to now?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 1:09pm
Kory wrote:
I woke up with Bad Night in my head this morning but I haven't listened to Commercial Zone in ages. WTF?
It does have a nagging feel to it.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 02 Aug 2019, 1:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 1:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Don't get mad max.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

IkarisOne wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 10:46pm
My proudest accomplishment in life is cajoling Inder into loving Wire. Which shows how pathetic my life is.

This is my all-time favorite Wire solo track. It always reminds me of Christmas, which is around the time I first heard it back in 86.

That and It Seems, in retrospect, were the beginnings of CN becoming an electronic artist (mainly as Immersion, with his wife). He gets tagged as the conventional one because of Gilbert and Lewis, but he's got just as solid a track record for strange and minimalist work.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 1:14pm
IkarisOne wrote:
My proudest accomplishment in life is cajoling Inder into loving Wire. Which shows how pathetic my life is.

This is my all-time favorite Wire solo track. It always reminds me of Christmas, which is around the time I first heard it back in 86.

That and It Seems, in retrospect, were the beginnings of CN becoming an electronic artist (mainly as Immersion, with his wife). He gets tagged as the conventional one because of Gilbert and Lewis, but he's got just as solid a track record for strange and minimalist work.
He had to try something different as Wire were a terrible punk band.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 1:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

Everyone's a smart arse 'round here.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 1:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

Newman's unreleased solo demos album?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 1:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

That sounds like something Rod Stewart would call an album.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 1:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I think I should bow down to your superior knowledge of all things Rod.

Don't forget the only band bigger than Rod were The Rutles.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 1:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 1:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I think I should bow down to your superior knowledge of all things Rod.

Don't forget the only band bigger than Rod were The Rutles.
:yuck:

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

CN has that McCartneyesque natural gift for melody so even when he gets really weird it's usually pretty songful, if not tuneful. Gilbert and Lewis are texture guys. Lewis can write some very good tunes but you never get the feeling it's his primary focus.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

IkarisOne wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 2:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

CN has that McCartneyesque natural gift for melody so even when he gets really weird it's usually pretty songful, if not tuneful. Gilbert and Lewis are texture guys. Lewis can write some very good tunes but you never get the feeling it's his primary focus.
I agree, but will add that, weirdly enough, Lewis is the one who had pop star ambitions during the 80s and 90s.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Yes, it's been killing me all day but I've been busy making this wireframe and haven't thought to put my headphones on.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 3:03pm
IkarisOne wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

I agree, but will add that, weirdly enough, Lewis is the one who had pop star ambitions during the 80s and 90s.
As evidenced by his rad rat-tail at the time.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 3:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 3:03pm
IkarisOne wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

As evidenced by his rad rat-tail at the time.
Equalled only by Colin's early-90s ponytail, where he looked like a sleazy A & R man.