What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 4:20pm
Kory wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 3:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 3:03pm
IkarisOne wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 2:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 1:14pm

That and It Seems, in retrospect, were the beginnings of CN becoming an electronic artist (mainly as Immersion, with his wife). He gets tagged as the conventional one because of Gilbert and Lewis, but he's got just as solid a track record for strange and minimalist work.

CN has that McCartneyesque natural gift for melody so even when he gets really weird it's usually pretty songful, if not tuneful. Gilbert and Lewis are texture guys. Lewis can write some very good tunes but you never get the feeling it's his primary focus.
I agree, but will add that, weirdly enough, Lewis is the one who had pop star ambitions during the 80s and 90s.
As evidenced by his rad rat-tail at the time.
Equalled only by Colin's early-90s ponytail, where he looked like a sleazy A & R man.
Those were heady times.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Graham Lewis, pop star audition reel.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Midnight Oil - 'Redneck Wonderland' (1998)
(Kory, you heard this one yet? Definitely in the noisy/industrial/post-punk side of the band ala '10, 9, 8,...' and 'Red Sails in the Sunset', as opposed to the classic song/Beatles side. I think you'd dig).
Last edited by muppet hi fi on 02 Aug 2019, 6:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 6:07pm

Heh. Sounds like he was listening to a lot of Wolfgang Press.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

IkarisOne wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 6:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It'd be the other way around. This was '86ish and WP went slick in the early 90s, I think. But, yes, birds of a feather.

And, hey, any excuse to post this again. One of my favourite music videos. Like Talking Heads in a really bad mood.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 6:36pm
IkarisOne wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 6:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It'd be the other way around. This was '86ish and WP went slick in the early 90s, I think. But, yes, birds of a feather.

And, hey, any excuse to post this again. One of my favourite music videos. Like Talking Heads in a really bad mood.

Awesome. Never saw that one. I bet those guys would be a blast to toss back a couple cold ones with.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

IkarisOne wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 10:46pm
My proudest accomplishment in life is cajoling Inder into loving Wire. Which shows how pathetic my life is.
There was a solid year in the late-aughts where Wire were the band to me — like, where you would obsessively listen to at least an album daily. 😎

And thank you to Doc as well for shipping stacks of Wire stuff on DVD. I remember being blown away by Our Swimmer the first time it came on.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 11:20am
IkarisOne wrote:
My proudest accomplishment in life is cajoling Inder into loving Wire. Which shows how pathetic my life is.
There was a solid year in the late-aughts where Wire were the band to me — like, where you would obsessively listen to at least an album daily. 😎

And thank you to Doc as well for shipping stacks of Wire stuff on DVD. I remember being blown away by Our Swimmer the first time it came on.
Now, about getting into Swans … :shifty:

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 11:42am
Inder wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

That's my next project. Then Polyrock.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Inder wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

:twitch:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

IkarisOne wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 1:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Inder wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

That's my next project. Then Polyrock.

I've been looking for a Swans ally to break a few people's spirit. :shifty:

Never heard of Polyrock. Very icy, alienated—leaning to New Wave, but not fully committed to mass appeal.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 2:57pm

Never heard of Polyrock. Very icy, alienated—leaning to New Wave, but not fully committed to mass appeal.
Polyrock were Philip Glass's answer to The Feelies. Seem to be an influence on early Stereolab, but maybe both were just ripping off Neu!.

Swans are one thing, but how about Italy's answer to mid-period Swans, Larsen? That'll clear the board.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

IkarisOne wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 4:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Polyrock were Philip Glass's answer to The Feelies. Seem to be an influence on early Stereolab, but maybe both were just ripping off Neu!.

Swans are one thing, but how about Italy's answer to mid-period Swans, Larsen? That'll clear the board.

Holy poop, that's excellent. Right in my sweet spot. I'll be investigating further.

edit: Ha! And a direct (and cool) connection to Gira: https://www.allmusic.com/artist/larsen- ... /biography

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Never get tired of this
Attachments
27BCA77D-C501-4BE4-88EC-296CB43EB963.jpeg

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 5:27pm
IkarisOne wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 4:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Holy poop, that's excellent. Right in my sweet spot. I'll be investigating further.

edit: Ha! And a direct (and cool) connection to Gira: https://www.allmusic.com/artist/larsen- ... /biography
Great band and phenomenal album overall. Hangs together like a symphony.