What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 6:24pm
I've come to really like this record in spite of it. That is, it's basically a tribute to slick, generic 70s classic rock, which, as a rule, I detest. Yet I kept playing this album and I went from curiosity to grudging acknowledgement to genuinely liking. There's zilch about it that I can defend or recommend, but I still like it.
There's hope for you yet with the KISS solo albums.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 6:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I've come to really like this record in spite of it. That is, it's basically a tribute to slick, generic 70s classic rock, which, as a rule, I detest. Yet I kept playing this album and I went from curiosity to grudging acknowledgement to genuinely liking. There's zilch about it that I can defend or recommend, but I still like it.
There's hope for you yet with the KISS solo albums.
I'll leap from a great height should that come to pass.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 3:40pm
IkarisOne wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 2:59pm
I've never fully cottoned to this album of Love of Life. They're good, don't get me wrong, but I have a hard time finding a hand hold. It's not the brutal minimalism of earlier albums and not the aggressive post rock they'd eventually become. It ain't commercial by any means, yet weirdly pretty. They're the most atypical Swans records, yet they're a sensible place to start, too.
This is going to sound really cringe, but I think the works taken in aggregate form a kind of epic narrative, like a 19th century Russian novel or something. There's a real sense of adventure to their body of work. So this is like a chapter rather than a testament. I realize this all sounds pretentious as all fuck but i can't think of another way to couch it.

It makes me want to look into their back story TBH

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

IkarisOne wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 6:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 3:40pm
IkarisOne wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 2:59pm
I've never fully cottoned to this album of Love of Life. They're good, don't get me wrong, but I have a hard time finding a hand hold. It's not the brutal minimalism of earlier albums and not the aggressive post rock they'd eventually become. It ain't commercial by any means, yet weirdly pretty. They're the most atypical Swans records, yet they're a sensible place to start, too.
This is going to sound really cringe, but I think the works taken in aggregate form a kind of epic narrative, like a 19th century Russian novel or something. There's a real sense of adventure to their body of work. So this is like a chapter rather than a testament. I realize this all sounds pretentious as all fuck but i can't think of another way to couch it.

It makes me want to look into their back story TBH
Nick Soulsby published an oral history of the band last year, and there's a documentary making the rounds on the festival circuit (should be commercially released by the fall).

(If you do ebooks: https://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.ph ... &t=2732056)

There is something deliberate about what Gira does—he's an ultra-serious control freak who doesn't abide by happy accidents—but I'm not sure if there's some more meta to it all. Power and transcendence thru suffering are pretty standard themes throughout the Swans catalogue. He's a guy who has a deep need to find a meaning and purpose to human suffering. And as angry as he was in the 80s, he seems to have found some pleasure (if that's the word) in audience experiences now. A post-punk Jim Morrison maybe?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

If Kory doesn't know this already, he'd probably give it support.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Had Abbey Road and some Squeeze on tonight. Then dabbled with some Laurel Aitken. Finishing off with some 60s garage classics.

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 6:39pm
Had Abbey Road and some Squeeze on tonight. Then dabbled with some Laurel Aitken. Finishing off with some 60s garage classics.

Approve.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think I saw them open for Interpol. I don't remember what they sounded like.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 6:15pm
If Kory doesn't know this already, he'd probably give it support.
I do know it, and will wholeheartedly recommend any one of their albums. Laika (along with Moloko, Sneaker Pimps, and Lamb) definitely found a way to escape the thrall of the main three and become something unique.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 12:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
:lol: You sound like me talking about books. It's ridiculous how few books I can recall beyond vague impressions.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 1:02pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
:lol: You sound like me talking about books. It's ridiculous how few books I can recall beyond vague impressions.
You should keep a book diary!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 2:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 1:02pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You should keep a book diary!

I still have my rough notes when I did my fields, "reading" roughly a book a day. And whenever I teach a book, I have very thorough summaries and observations to work from. But that's about it.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

I've heard this many times but never really listened to it. I love it. Any Paul Young recommendations anyone?
Attachments
Screenshot_20190812-212931_Deezer.jpg

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BitterTom wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 4:31pm
I've heard this many times but never really listened to it. I love it. Any Paul Young recommendations anyone?
That's a good cover and another one I like is "I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia