Pets.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: Pets.

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 4:35pm
Mimi wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 4:14pm
There was a baby snake out on the front porch. I called Butters over to watch it slither around. He watched it as it went out of sight and off the side of the porch. I reached over to touch him. He flew in the air. I tried to touch him again. Same thing. He searched the floor for the snake, sniffing, his hair fluffy. I had to laugh but was fascinated by his reaction. Did he know that thing was a snake or was he just freaked out by the movement? He's okay with the skinks but this was a little bigger. Maybe?
Gotta be the hardwiring fight/flight impulse connected to movement. It's amazing how a cat's behaviour transforms when it catches sight of something foreign moving.
I was thinking that maybe cats are instinctively afraid of snakes. ??

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
23 Aug 2019, 8:58am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 4:35pm
Mimi wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 4:14pm
There was a baby snake out on the front porch. I called Butters over to watch it slither around. He watched it as it went out of sight and off the side of the porch. I reached over to touch him. He flew in the air. I tried to touch him again. Same thing. He searched the floor for the snake, sniffing, his hair fluffy. I had to laugh but was fascinated by his reaction. Did he know that thing was a snake or was he just freaked out by the movement? He's okay with the skinks but this was a little bigger. Maybe?
Gotta be the hardwiring fight/flight impulse connected to movement. It's amazing how a cat's behaviour transforms when it catches sight of something foreign moving.
I was thinking that maybe cats are instinctively afraid of snakes. ??
I tend not to think so. Cats are very size-responsive—they're wary of things bigger than them—but otherwise, as predators, it doesn't seem logical that they'd be scared of potential food. The slithering motion might be confusing, tho. Cat prey darts and flits, so slithering wouldn't be part of their playbook.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

One of our cats has seemingly gone into a rapid decline over the past 48 hours. He's 15 (we think) and has been going downhill for at least a year. Nothing specific - just the ravages of old age. He's lost a lot of weight, but until just recently he was active and feisty, but I noticed a change this past weekend. He just seemed to be sleeping more than normal. I came home from work last night and he met me at the door to beg (which is normal). I fed him and then we went to the baseball game and when we came home there was a definite change. He's been resting on the bathroom rug since last night. Awake and alert and not seemingly in pain or distress, but just no energy. I've lived with pets my whole life. I know I'll make the right decision when I need to make it, but this gray area is tough. Not sure if I should let him fade away at home or take him to the vet where I worry I'll be talked into (or I'll talk myself into) having him put down. I'll assess when I get home this afternoon, but this is definitely the crummy part of pet ownership. :meh:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 9:40am
One of our cats has seemingly gone into a rapid decline over the past 48 hours. He's 15 (we think) and has been going downhill for at least a year. Nothing specific - just the ravages of old age. He's lost a lot of weight, but until just recently he was active and feisty, but I noticed a change this past weekend. He just seemed to be sleeping more than normal. I came home from work last night and he met me at the door to beg (which is normal). I fed him and then we went to the baseball game and when we came home there was a definite change. He's been resting on the bathroom rug since last night. Awake and alert and not seemingly in pain or distress, but just no energy. I've lived with pets my whole life. I know I'll make the right decision when I need to make it, but this gray area is tough. Not sure if I should let him fade away at home or take him to the vet where I worry I'll be talked into (or I'll talk myself into) having him put down. I'll assess when I get home this afternoon, but this is definitely the crummy part of pet ownership. :meh:
I'm sorry. It really sucks.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
If it's just 48 hours, that might not be indicative of much other than a progression in aging. If he's still eating and (especially) drinking, and still using the litter box, that's the main thing. Cats are really good at hiding their distress, so it's the food and litter that's the big indicator.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 10:46am
WestwayKid wrote:
If it's just 48 hours, that might not be indicative of much other than a progression in aging. If he's still eating and (especially) drinking, and still using the litter box, that's the main thing. Cats are really good at hiding their distress, so it's the food and litter that's the big indicator.
Very true. I'm anxious to see how he is when I get home. He might (I hope) just be not feeling well. I saw him eat last night. I saw him drink water several times last night and he did use the box (a little bit of urine). I've learned the hard way about cats hiding their distress until it's too late. Our old vet described it as a rollercoaster - you don't know they're unwell until they're plunging downhill. He's not hiding - which I think is a good sign. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get home. I'd just love to see him out and about.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 10:59am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 10:46am
WestwayKid wrote:
Very true. I'm anxious to see how he is when I get home. He might (I hope) just be not feeling well. I saw him eat last night. I saw him drink water several times last night and he did use the box (a little bit of urine). I've learned the hard way about cats hiding their distress until it's too late. Our old vet described it as a rollercoaster - you don't know they're unwell until they're plunging downhill. He's not hiding - which I think is a good sign. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get home. I'd just love to see him out and about.
That he isn't hiding is really good, actually, especially because you have other cats. If they're treating him differently, that might also be a sign something's wrong. Fingers crossed that he's just feeling a bit off in his old age.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

WestwayKid wrote:
I'm so sorry. It hurts like a bitch to make that decision. You can always take him to the vet for a blood test. At least then you can see if liver and kidney values are okay.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Mimi wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 1:13pm
WestwayKid wrote:
I'm so sorry. It hurts like a bitch to make that decision. You can always take him to the vet for a blood test. At least then you can see if liver and kidney values are okay.
I'm leaning towards taking him in for some blood work. It all depends on how he is when I get home.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

He was waiting for me in his usual spot by the front door when I got home - loudly demanding food. I gave him some chopped ham and he voraciously are. I just put him on a cooked meat diet: chicken, turkey, ham. I figured that would fill him up better. He’s otherwise always begging when I give him canned food. Anyway, he pigged out and is now back on the bathroom rug. I’m not sure what to think right now. Could this have something to do with his diet? I gave him the new food for the first time last night. Could he actually just be full? I’m so used to him constantly begging. I still want to take him in for bloodwork, but I’m not feeling quite so dire.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 4:51pm
He was waiting for me in his usual spot by the front door when I got home - loudly demanding food. I gave him some chopped ham and he voraciously are. I just put him on a cooked meat diet: chicken, turkey, ham. I figured that would fill him up better. He’s otherwise always begging when I give him canned food. Anyway, he pigged out and is now back on the bathroom rug. I’m not sure what to think right now. Could this have something to do with his diet? I gave him the new food for the first time last night. Could he actually just be full? I’m so used to him constantly begging. I still want to take him in for bloodwork, but I’m not feeling quite so dire.
Bloodwork is never a bad idea if you're at all worried, but if he's social with you and still eating, it doesn't sound like he's ill. Moodiness is the iffiest symptom for cats because they're basically loners anyway.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 5:06pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Bloodwork is never a bad idea if you're at all worried, but if he's social with you and still eating, it doesn't sound like he's ill. Moodiness is the iffiest symptom for cats because they're basically loners anyway.
He just asked for another serving.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 5:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
If his litter box habits are still good—that he ain't getting plugged up—then it seems he's just feeling a bit low energy? Our old guy Dickens was prone to constipation, his shit basically turning into rocks inside. That slowed him up, but he also tended not to eat because of the bloat.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 5:19pm
WestwayKid wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 5:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
If his litter box habits are still good—that he ain't getting plugged up—then it seems he's just feeling a bit low energy? Our old guy Dickens was prone to constipation, his shit basically turning into rocks inside. That slowed him up, but he also tended not to eat because of the bloat.
Licorice. She also regurgitates her food, especially in the mornings.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 7:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 5:19pm
Licorice. She also regurgitates her food, especially in the mornings.
Neither of our girls would last a day on the outside. Luke is such a damned scavenger who will eat literally anything seems a good bet to succeeding at the vagabond life.