Hey limeys

Politics and other such topical creams.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Hey limeys

Post by Flex »

What are folks thoughts on Labour's triangulation around "brexit deal and then put it to a referendum"? Lib Dems going all in on revoke article 50 which, sure, although to me it seems like as fucked up as that last election was you probably still need to go back to the voters with something before just totally abandoning the results of the national vote. But that's given my instincts from over here in America - is Labour staking out the right path or are enough people just looking to get out of brexit no matter what that the Lib Dems have the right of it?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I assume your question was to the Limeys, but a proper and sincere method (I know, I'm being idealistic here) should be a two-part referendum. The first part is: Should we pursue a Brexit? That passed, so get to the negotiations with the EU. The second part should be putting the actual deal—whatever that ends up being—to another public vote: Accept this deal or remain? The original referendum was way too vague to intuit what the Leave side would accept as the price of leaving. A second vote would remedy that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I give labour some credit for their stance which doesn't seem to resonate with voters but still seems a font of common sense to me in a political vacuum where people hold you have to be one extreme or the other. Being a revoke party is at least a little more honest for lib dems than a second referendum party, given they vacillate whenever asked about what theyd do if a second vote went for no again. I do wonder about the brexiteers that have been adding to their number recently, though. Then you have those 20 or so labour MPs who are actively campaigning to leave. Funny how all of them represent constituencies that voted to leave in 2016! No hint of self-preservation there at all, of course!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I'll post this just because...
Attachments
SmartSelectImage_2019-09-11-19-28-58.png

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 2:32pm
I'll post this just because...
That sound you just heard throughout the galaxy was James collapsing and grabbing his chest.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Can someone tell me in a nutshell what Boris has done now?
I’m out if the loop.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 3:22pm
I’m out if the loop.
He decided democracy died 3rd May 1979.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
I’m out if the loop.
Scottish Court of Appeal overruled the earlier court decision and declared that the prorogation was pursued under false pretences, and is therefore unlawful. It'll be going to the UK Supreme Court now, but if it's upheld there, it'll mean that he officially misled the sovereign with his advice to prorogue.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 3:40pm
101Walterton wrote:
I’m out if the loop.
Scottish Court of Appeal overruled the earlier court decision and declared that the prorogation was pursued under false pretences, and is therefore unlawful. It'll be going to the UK Supreme Court now, but if it's upheld there, it'll mean that he officially misled the sovereign with his advice to prorogue.
...and will hopefully be jailed.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 3:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I’m out if the loop.
Part of me would love to see it and the other part doesn't. I don't want him to be able to sell his infamy further down the line.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 4:02pm
Heston wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 3:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I’m out if the loop.
Part of me would love to see it and the other part doesn't. I don't want him to be able to sell his infamy further down the line.
He's already got more money than he will ever need. 3 months in the slammer sharing a cell with a sexually desperate, well-endowed Tory hater would do me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Help the aged.
Attachments
granarchist-fuck-the-tories.jpg
granarchist-fuck-the-tories.jpg (70.45 KiB) Viewed 3205 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Ha! That's great.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I’m out if the loop.
What did he tell Lizzy?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 6:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I’m out if the loop.
What did he tell Lizzy?
As far as I know, the usual explanation for proroguing a parliament—that the government needed an opportunity to reset things and offer a new legislative plan via a Crown speech in late October. As opposed to what he was really doing—shutting out parliament to let the clock run out to force thru a no-deal Brexit. The comparisons with Charles I proroguing parliament in 162whatever and ruling for a decade without calling it back aren't that out of place.