The Clash ‎– I'm Not Down (for hard-collectors only)

Music/video/real estate bartering area.
Post Reply
Red Angel
User avatar
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 208
Joined: 26 Sep 2013, 11:40am

The Clash ‎– I'm Not Down (for hard-collectors only)

Post by Red Angel » 13 Nov 2019, 3:00pm

The Clash ‎– I'm Not Down (Secret 7" label)

I saw this strange 7 "on the web who knows more? Is it the usual version?

https://www.discogs.com/The-Clash-Im-No ... e/12206971
Music is the only thing that matters

Olaf
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4362
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:23pm
Location: Germania

Re: The Clash ‎– I'm Not Down (for hard-collectors only)

Post by Olaf » 17 Nov 2019, 5:09pm

I would guess it is the standard version. Apparently the sleeve was designed by Paul and the proceeds went to charity.

So if you're a fan of Paul's art...

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 43630
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Clash ‎– I'm Not Down (for hard-collectors only)

Post by Marky Dread » 18 Nov 2019, 1:29pm

Olaf wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 5:09pm
I would guess it is the standard version. Apparently the sleeve was designed by Paul and the proceeds went to charity.

So if you're a fan of Paul's art...
The mental health charity "Mind" who do great work. Nice one Paul. :approve:
Image

IkarisOne
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2998
Joined: 24 Aug 2008, 10:09pm

Re: The Clash ‎– I'm Not Down (for hard-collectors only)

Post by IkarisOne » 22 Nov 2019, 5:38pm

I'm kind of thinking "I'm Not Down" is my favorite Clash song now.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 11065
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The Clash ‎– I'm Not Down (for hard-collectors only)

Post by Kory » 25 Nov 2019, 5:29pm

IkarisOne wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 5:38pm
I'm kind of thinking "I'm Not Down" is my favorite Clash song now.
It's so good. That bridge alone...
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 31455
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The Clash ‎– I'm Not Down (for hard-collectors only)

Post by Heston » 25 Nov 2019, 7:03pm

Kory wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 5:29pm
IkarisOne wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 5:38pm
I'm kind of thinking "I'm Not Down" is my favorite Clash song now.
It's so good. That bridge alone...
It's the 3/4 time moment on the second verse that sours the song for me. I thought my record was jumping when I first heard it. It just sounds contrived and trying to be over-clever. Otherwise what a great song.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 11065
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The Clash ‎– I'm Not Down (for hard-collectors only)

Post by Kory » 25 Nov 2019, 7:44pm

Heston wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 7:03pm
Kory wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 5:29pm
IkarisOne wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 5:38pm
I'm kind of thinking "I'm Not Down" is my favorite Clash song now.
It's so good. That bridge alone...
It's the 3/4 time moment on the second verse that sours the song for me. I thought my record was jumping when I first heard it. It just sounds contrived and trying to be over-clever. Otherwise what a great song.
That's my favorite part of the song because it's a modified soca beat.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 31455
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The Clash ‎– I'm Not Down (for hard-collectors only)

Post by Heston » 25 Nov 2019, 8:40pm

Kory wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 7:44pm
Heston wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 7:03pm
Kory wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 5:29pm
IkarisOne wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 5:38pm
I'm kind of thinking "I'm Not Down" is my favorite Clash song now.
It's so good. That bridge alone...
It's the 3/4 time moment on the second verse that sours the song for me. I thought my record was jumping when I first heard it. It just sounds contrived and trying to be over-clever. Otherwise what a great song.
That's my favorite part of the song because it's a modified soca beat.
It shoulda just formed its own song. It just fuses in awkwardly for me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5005
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Clash ‎– I'm Not Down (for hard-collectors only)

Post by muppet hi fi » 29 Nov 2019, 2:14am

Kory wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 5:29pm
IkarisOne wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 5:38pm
I'm kind of thinking "I'm Not Down" is my favorite Clash song now.
It's so good. That bridge alone...
Quite.
In the 'Armagideon Times' (vol. 1) Mick said that bridge was a Shirley Bassey cop.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 43630
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Clash ‎– I'm Not Down (for hard-collectors only)

Post by Marky Dread » 29 Nov 2019, 5:39am

muppet hi fi wrote:
29 Nov 2019, 2:14am
Kory wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 5:29pm
IkarisOne wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 5:38pm
I'm kind of thinking "I'm Not Down" is my favorite Clash song now.
It's so good. That bridge alone...
Quite.
In the 'Armagideon Times' (vol. 1) Mick said that bridge was a Shirley Bassey cop.
Any idea what track.
Image

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5005
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Clash ‎– I'm Not Down (for hard-collectors only)

Post by muppet hi fi » 29 Nov 2019, 3:49pm

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Nov 2019, 5:39am
muppet hi fi wrote:
29 Nov 2019, 2:14am
Kory wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 5:29pm
IkarisOne wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 5:38pm
I'm kind of thinking "I'm Not Down" is my favorite Clash song now.
It's so good. That bridge alone...
Quite.
In the 'Armagideon Times' (vol. 1) Mick said that bridge was a Shirley Bassey cop.
Any idea what track.
No. I only really know her James Bond things, though I've seen some live footage and think she's great.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 43630
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Clash ‎– I'm Not Down (for hard-collectors only)

Post by Marky Dread » 29 Nov 2019, 4:02pm

muppet hi fi wrote:
29 Nov 2019, 3:49pm
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Nov 2019, 5:39am
muppet hi fi wrote:
29 Nov 2019, 2:14am
Kory wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 5:29pm
IkarisOne wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 5:38pm
I'm kind of thinking "I'm Not Down" is my favorite Clash song now.
It's so good. That bridge alone...
Quite.
In the 'Armagideon Times' (vol. 1) Mick said that bridge was a Shirley Bassey cop.
Any idea what track.
No. I only really know her James Bond things, though I've seen some live footage and think she's great.
Hey Big Spender.
Image

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5005
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Clash ‎– I'm Not Down (for hard-collectors only)

Post by muppet hi fi » 29 Nov 2019, 4:22pm

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Nov 2019, 4:02pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
29 Nov 2019, 3:49pm
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Nov 2019, 5:39am
muppet hi fi wrote:
29 Nov 2019, 2:14am
Kory wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 5:29pm


It's so good. That bridge alone...
Quite.
In the 'Armagideon Times' (vol. 1) Mick said that bridge was a Shirley Bassey cop.
Any idea what track.
No. I only really know her James Bond things, though I've seen some live footage and think she's great.
Hey Big Spender.
Good call. Might be some other ones too, as those staccato stop and start horn lines seem very common for that era of big band charts.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Red Angel
User avatar
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 208
Joined: 26 Sep 2013, 11:40am

Re: The Clash ‎– I'm Not Down (for hard-collectors only)

Post by Red Angel » 30 Nov 2019, 5:15am

Great voice, beautiful dress! :oops:
Music is the only thing that matters

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests