Star Trek

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Star Trek

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://globalnews.ca/news/5666434/star ... k-stewart/

Well, this Picard trailer has definitely got me interested. There's a real danger of not being able to recapture the spirit and magic and all that, but it intrigues because it sets things up as having a point and a mystery. Mind you, that mystery seems a lot like the third Star Wars trilogy—young female of great ability seeks old disillusioned hero, fate of the galaxy, old hero's friends—but whatever. I'm already far more interested in this than I ever was in Discovery or Enterprise.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 1:43pm

Well, this Picard trailer has definitely got me interested. There's a real danger of not being able to recapture the spirit and magic and all that, but it intrigues because it sets things up as having a point and a mystery. Mind you, that mystery seems a lot like the third Star Wars trilogy—young female of great ability seeks old disillusioned hero, fate of the galaxy, old hero's friends—but whatever. I'm already far more interested in this than I ever was in Discovery or Enterprise.
First Trek show I’ve ever been interested in sight unseen.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 1:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 1:43pm

First Trek show I’ve ever been interested in sight unseen.
Excepting Flex's dream project, Star Trek: Bolian Orgy.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watched the DS9 documentary this morning. It's really good. Very much a love letter to the cast, crew, writers, and fans, plus a solid argument that it was the best realized ST series. Interspersed throughout, the core writers muse about what an eighth season could be about if they got everyone together, and, dammit, it made me want it to happen badly. So damned good.

(Also, Ira Steven Behr, the showrunner, does regret not making Garak gay, tho he's skeptical the network would have let them.)

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Star Trek VI is on tv, so I'm watching it and am reminded about an aspect of ST I've never understood. The neutral zone often comes up, with one side or the other told to stay out of it. Shouldn't anyone be allowed in the neutral zone? You can't go in someone else's space uninvited, but the very definition of neutral zone should be that it's neutral space and everyone is free to travel it.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 6:41pm
Star Trek VI is on tv, so I'm watching it and am reminded about an aspect of ST I've never understood. The neutral zone often comes up, with one side or the other told to stay out of it. Shouldn't anyone be allowed in the neutral zone? You can't go in someone else's space uninvited, but the very definition of neutral zone should be that it's neutral space and everyone is free to travel it.
More Federation-speak. Double plus ungood.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 1:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 6:41pm
More Federation-speak. Double plus ungood.
Proof that liberalism is bullshit now and in the future.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

On The Motion Picture's 40th anniversary: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 34541.html

I remember seeing it in the theatre—I would have been ten, but my recollection is that I saw it in the summer, which doesn't make sense—and loving the visuals but being baffled by the story. Forty years later, those impressions are still largely intact.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 1:24am
Fuck. I laughed.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

RIP Odo.

The underlying bromance between Quark and Odo was one of my favorite things in DS9.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

spock.jpg
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

We watched the premiere of Picard and liked it a great deal. It does roar thru backstory and set-up rather quickly—if it were a novel, it'd pace things much better, I'm sure, but television demands a faster pace to get to the meat—but it works because there's a mystery to be solved, That's what justifies the story. And it's hard to deny Patrick Stewart's magnetism. He's the noble grandpa we want and hope to be, one who still cares but also needs to atone for his shortcomings. So it also works because we want him to succeed and find peace. Definitely a ride I'm hopping on.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 8:37pm
We watched the premiere of Picard and liked it a great deal. It does roar thru backstory and set-up rather quickly—if it were a novel, it'd pace things much better, I'm sure, but television demands a faster pace to get to the meat—but it works because there's a mystery to be solved, That's what justifies the story. And it's hard to deny Patrick Stewart's magnetism. He's the noble grandpa we want and hope to be, one who still cares but also needs to atone for his shortcomings. So it also works because we want him to succeed and find peace. Definitely a ride I'm hopping on.
is fat riker in it? please let fat riker be in it
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 9:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 8:37pm
is fat riker in it? please let fat riker be in it
Not the first episode, only doughy Data. But fat Riker is in the trailers, so he's coming up, hopefully still sitting down like a freak. And Picard has a dog named Number One, which I assume is because Riker was Picard's dog.