Hey Flex (All Encompassing 90's Glorification)

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Hey Flex (All Encompassing 90's Glorification)

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 8:12pm
People hated the Beatles that much?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 8:45pm
Flex wrote:
I think it means the Beatles were quickly forgotten as a lame joke.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 8:59pm
revbob wrote:
Flex wrote:
The who?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 12:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 8:59pm
revbob wrote:
Flex wrote:
The who?
The Guess Who
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Back in that awful decade, there was an ad campaign by a soda company that mocked advertising and played on the conceit that we can all see through the bullshit. Anyone remember what brand that was for? I'm thinking 7-Up or Sprite.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 May 2019, 6:59pm
Back in that awful decade, there was an ad campaign by a soda company that mocked advertising and played on the conceit that we can all see through the bullshit. Anyone remember what brand that was for? I'm thinking 7-Up or Sprite.
Sounds like Sprite?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
11 May 2019, 7:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sounds like Sprite?
Yup, that's what it was. "Image is nothing." Needed it as an example of postmodernism in advertising. Thanks!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 May 2019, 7:31pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sounds like Sprite?
Yup, that's what it was. "Image is nothing." Needed it as an example of postmodernism in advertising. Thanks!
It was actually pretty odd to be a kid taking in post-modern deconstructions at that time without the reference point of what was being deconstructed. Left me with an urge to catch up.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
11 May 2019, 7:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 May 2019, 7:31pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sounds like Sprite?
It was actually pretty odd to be a kid taking in post-modern deconstructions at that time without the reference point of what was being deconstructed. Left me with an urge to catch up.
It was an interesting campaign in that it either flattered—yeah, I know it's bullshit and you admit that, so I respect them for talking straight—or confirmed the cynicism—this is just another piece of bullshit, pretending to be hip and respectful of my cultural knowledge to sell more sugar water. There was so much buzz at the time about how GenX was both cynical and wise to the old tricks, so how to sell to them? I give grudging credit for altering the surface of the shell game.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

You're thinking of OK Cola, I believe.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
11 May 2019, 11:41pm
You're thinking of OK Cola, I believe.
No, it was Sprite that was in my mind, but OK Soda another good example. I might use both. Solid memory, man.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.sporcle.com/games/MrWhiplash/3rd-90s-fads

20/20, but it involved cycling thru and eliminating possibilities.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just popped into my mind. What a perfectly generic faux-edgy 90s song, seemingly purposefully constructed for licensing for car commercials, phone commercials, fast food commercials …

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 8:14pm

Just popped into my mind. What a perfectly generic faux-edgy 90s song, seemingly purposefully constructed for licensing for car commercials, phone commercials, fast food commercials …
Hello,

The video looks like a '90's commercial as well. I can imagine some producer saying "Yeah, well, we'll insert the clip of {product] into the video here and here...it'll be awesome!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 8:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 8:14pm

Hello,

The video looks like a '90's commercial as well. I can imagine some producer saying "Yeah, well, we'll insert the clip of {product] into the video here and here...it'll be awesome!"
Seriously—you could just take any 28 second clip from the video and then insert the product of your choice at the end. If I were Heston puffing skunk weed, I'd conclude it was satire of the music industry in the mid-90s. And so from that perspective it deserves to go into consideration for Worst Song of the 90s (tho it's too generic to gain real animus).