When the Boomers Die

Politics and other such topical creams.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: When the Boomers Die

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 12:44pm
Golf courses? I have to think many of them go under once the Boomers are too old or too dead to keep playing.
yeah, that's a "sport" that will basically collapse along with the corpulent husks of decrepit boomers
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 12:45pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Golf courses? I have to think many of them go under once the Boomers are too old or too dead to keep playing.
yeah, that's a "sport" that will basically collapse along with the corpulent husks of decrepit boomers
I want to see all the courses allowed to simply revert back to nature...abandoned in place as a monument to excess.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
There goes my kid's scholarship chances.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex

Post by Flex »

JennyB wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 12:52pm
unless there's so few golfers left that the kids who do play are very in-demand!

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 12:50pm
Flex wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I want to see all the courses allowed to simply revert back to nature...abandoned in place as a monument to excess.
Imagine how much food could grow on those things. I just looked, they take up over 3500 square miles of land. I worked at a few courses in college and they are groomed by pesticide and poison.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 12:54pm
WestwayKid wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 12:50pm
Flex wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Imagine how much food could grow on those things. I just looked, they take up over 3500 square miles of land. I worked at a few courses in college and they are groomed by pesticide and poison.
They keep building more, so the bubble has not yet burst...but it will.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I'm thinking "Holiday Heart Syndrome" is definitely a Boomer thing: https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/12/health/h ... index.html

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 12:54pm
JennyB wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 12:52pm
unless there's so few golfers left that the kids who do play are very in-demand!
:lol:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

matedog wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 12:02pm
My main car has been manual for the 20 years I've been driving. My commute is so shitty though, that I'm happy the new car is automatic.

I don't really give a shit if people don't know how to drive stick. This whole meme is stupid:
That's dumb.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A curious thought while walking: Has there ever been a generation that those behind them have been actively awaiting their death? Given that the concept of generations is rather new, certainly not. But—and here's the curious thing—our desire for them to go away is part of a belief that we have no hope of dealing with political (i.e., historical) problem while they're around. Which is, um, a Nazi worldview. Clearly the comparison isn't the same thing, in no small part because of the lack of action to hasten their demise, but it is, nevertheless, a shared perception that a particular group of people must exit the scene one way or another before we have a hope of getting past serious knotty problems.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 3:22pm
A curious thought while walking: Has there ever been a generation that those behind them have been actively awaiting their death? Given that the concept of generations is rather new, certainly not. But—and here's the curious thing—our desire for them to go away is part of a belief that we have no hope of dealing with political (i.e., historical) problem while they're around. Which is, um, a Nazi worldview. Clearly the comparison isn't the same thing, in no small part because of the lack of action to hasten their demise, but it is, nevertheless, a shared perception that a particular group of people must exit the scene one way or another before we have a hope of getting past serious knotty problems.
As someone who finds generational theory/generalizations to be very problematic, no. It's the same shit over and over again and nothing changes. Old people resent the young, young people resent the old. Old people had it harder than young people, young people are soft. Young people are inheriting all old peoples' problem, etc.

I'm sick of hearing about millenials and boomers. People just use it as a tool to stereotype large diverse swaths of people. Yes, there is some legitimacy to generational theory (not even sure that's the right term), but 99.99% of it is just people generalizing other people to feel superior.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 3:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
As someone who finds generational theory/generalizations to be very problematic, no. It's the same shit over and over again and nothing changes. Old people resent the young, young people resent the old. Old people had it harder than young people, young people are soft. Young people are inheriting all old peoples' problem, etc.

I'm sick of hearing about millenials and boomers. People just use it as a tool to stereotype large diverse swaths of people. Yes, there is some legitimacy to generational theory (not even sure that's the right term), but 99.99% of it is just people generalizing other people to feel superior.
I'm not really talking about that. Yes, there has always been frustration and resentment that the young aren't maintaining habits that older people grew up with, and youth is a time of energy and confidence and desire to act, yet unable to do so because their elders are in power. That's pretty standard. What we have here is different because Boomers have rigged the economy and political structures to their benefit, hoarding more and more wealth and power and functionally crippling those coming behind them. That's not about superficial cultural resentment, but about a deep historical problem, of a departing group refusing to put in place a means for succeeding generations to, well, succeed. Hence, the perception that the sooner they die off, the sooner structural change can occur.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

I think you probably need to overlay a class analysis of the boomer generation to actually get at the chunk of folks we should be vilifying, but yeah, part of the problem is there are just so many wealthy people in that cohort who have absolutely no class incentive to keep the world and all of our lives from being destroyed that it will just probably take them dying off.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 3:57pm
I think you probably need to overlay a class analysis of the boomer generation to actually get at the chunk of folks we should be vilifying, but yeah, part of the problem is there are just so many wealthy people in that cohort who have absolutely no class incentive to keep the world and all of our lives from being destroyed that it will just probably take them dying off.
Right, of course. We say Boomer, but we're talking about a particular segment of Boomers—predominantly white and middle-to-upper class. One frustrating aspect of the current situation is that the lower-class Boomers would seem to me more allied with their generation than cross-generational class interests.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

matedog wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 3:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

This.