F Punk

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: F Punk

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 8:37pm
Heston wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 8:18pm
Kory wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 8:10pm
Heston wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 7:46pm
Kory wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 7:42pm

I'm sure they're in a box in CBS storage somewhere. Or Fayney has them.
Haha, I wish Fayney had them, he would probably give them to me. He's a top man on Facebook. I reckon I could probably get an interview out of him for EET WEEK.
We should have had Jenny ask him a bunch of stuff about it.
Yes! Jenny, our conduit to the stars.
The Kosmos, you might say.
Well played sir. :mrgreen:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 8:39pm
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 7:46pm

Haha, I wish Fayney had them, he would probably give them to me. He's a top man on Facebook. I reckon I could probably get an interview out of him for EET WEEK.
The Marky is strong with this one
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 8:54pm
Heston wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 8:39pm
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:

The Marky is strong with this one
Indeed.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

See if this makes any sense, I mean, its been lockdown city here for 7 weeks at least so I might just be going looney ... before FPunk was released, surely Mick and everyone got to hear the final mix, so if its so bad why did they let it out this way? Mick's made enough music professionally to be able to have input on the final mix of his album, no? I mean, if that decision was made by the people who paid to have the album made, wouldn't Mick again have some say as to the final mix? And if the people who paid to have the album made released something that the artist was not happy/satisfied with, wouldn't that adversely affect sales? Ok now, what if Mick heard the final mix and approved it?
Many questions, few answers.
If Mick did approve the mix, then what i've been listening to is the way he wanted me to hear it. Am I going insane? (with apologies to Sabbath fans).

I will not question anyone who thinks the mix is shit because everyone has a right to what they hear and how they like or dislike things about it, it is music after all so ....
I remember when I first listened to the album (CD) thinking something's different about this and how it sounds. But it didn't sound inferior quality-wise to me, just different. I took each song as it sounded, not trying to analyze what sounded so different, letting the sounds and the songs sink in.
To me, there are many strong songs on it, ones I really like. I really love the album, warts and all.
It sounds how it sounds and that's just the way it is. Just like CTC sounds exactly like IT is, lol.
So I never had a problem with the mix of FPunk personally, the songs are what defines the album to me, not the mix. Do I think a remix would be a good thing? Probably. But I won't be disappointed if it never happens. I would however love to hear the multitracks for this ...
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

A remix of Fpunk will never happen. the sound of the album comes from the fact that they recorded live in the same room with shitty microphones. So the mixing process was a nightmare.
Andrée shapps speaks about that in this show (around 12mn)

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

bazarboy75 wrote:
19 May 2020, 6:18am
A remix of Fpunk will never happen. the sound of the album comes from the fact that they recorded live in the same room with shitty microphones. So the mixing process was a nightmare.
Thanks Bboy for that it was very interesting.

So with Fpunk being recorded live and the original name of the album was going to be Punk it seems to me that the sound was intended by Mick to sort of capture a DIY garage band sound for the recording. And I think the interview is right you do have to allow for failure as it is very important to have that.

So At least that answers my original question as I was a little concerned with how can these so called experts get it so wrong ? It does however make me think that Mick is a little too fond of turning genius into failure as it reminds me of the Ally Pally paradiso live official release to sound like a boot leg and a distant sound.

Any way all that said I think Fpunk is just brilliant I really love the album and gets played a lot. You cant stop good songs being good songs

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
21 May 2020, 3:34am
So At least that answers my original question as I was a little concerned with how can these so called experts get it so wrong ? It does however make me think that Mick is a little too fond of turning genius into failure as it reminds me of the Ally Pally paradiso live official release to sound like a boot leg and a distant sound.
I remember reading an interview with The Clash at the time of give em.... when Mick said that he didn't give a damn about the sound of the album (in relation to the production of Sandy Pearlman) and that he was ready to release demos from the album. So I think there is an idea of punk ethics behind it. But on the other hand we know that Mick was the one of the group who spent hours in the studio learning the mixing technique and moving on to production as soon as it was possible.
we also know that in BAD's time the group produced its own albums and delivered them to the label so that it could take it out commercially. So either Mick is tired of this aspect of the production or he kept this idea of always experimenting with new things even if it means returning to a punk approach with F punk

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
bazarboy75 wrote:

So with Fpunk being recorded live and the original name of the album was going to be Punk it seems to me that the sound was intended by Mick to sort of capture a DIY garage band sound for the recording. And I think the interview is right you do have to allow for failure as it is very important to have that.

Any way all that said I think Fpunk is just brilliant I really love the album and gets played a lot. You cant stop good songs being good songs
I always thought F Punk was a play on George Clinton's P Funk.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 9:56am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
bazarboy75 wrote:

Your right Marky according to the interview the final title that was used was named exactly for the reason that you mentioned. The interview mentions that Micks Idea was to call it Punk and it was Joe Strummer that said to mick you should call it P Funk and Mick thought it was a brilliant idea so that's what they went with. My comments were based on micks original idea of calling it just Punk.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 11:25am
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 9:56am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
bazarboy75 wrote:

Your right Marky according to the interview the final title that was used was named exactly for the reason that you mentioned. The interview mentions that Micks Idea was to call it Punk and it was Joe Strummer that said to mick you should call it P Funk and Mick thought it was a brilliant idea so that's what they went with. My comments were based on micks original idea of calling it just Punk.
Cool I guess I should've listened to the interview. I'm going to have a go a remixing the album. We'll see how it goes.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »