Neil Peart - RIP

General music discussion.
Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Re: Neil Peart - RIP

Post by Spiff »

It's amazing to me that 90% of the people lamenting Neil Peart's passing mispronounce his last name, thereby exposing them as faux-Rush fans.

But, then, I'm not surprised ...
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Spiff wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 7:07pm
It's amazing to me that 90% of the people lamenting Neil Peart's passing mispronounce his last name, thereby exposing them as faux-Rush fans.

I always thought it was like "pert." Is that right?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 7:09pm
Spiff wrote:

That’s what I was led to believe.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 7:10pm
matedog wrote:
Spiff wrote:

Me too. Are people saying Part?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 7:30pm
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Spiff wrote:

I've always said Pee-at but that might be my Geordie accent. My mate called him Neil "Pert" about 4 years ago and I thought he'd gone mad. I guess he was right then?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Heston wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 8:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Spiff wrote:

I've always said Pee-at but that might be my Geordie accent. My mate called him Neil "Pert" about 4 years ago and I thought he'd gone mad. I guess he was right then?
And to back me up, Britain's most popular DJ, Ken Bruce pronounced it that way today on Radio 2. He is Scottish though.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 8:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Spiff wrote:

Excuses can be made for you, given that English is not your first language. :shifty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Rhymes with "heart" is a good approximation.

Better is the vowel sound in how an Englander would pronounce the first vowel in "Hertford."
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Spiff wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 9:02pm
Rhymes with "heart" is a good approximation.

Better is the vowel sound in how an Englander would pronounce the first vowel in "Hertford."

I would rhyme it with "knee-hat."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Well, I'll be:

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 9:28pm
Well, I'll be:
Rush is one of those groups who, while I don't care for their music, seemed decent down-to-Earth guys. It's funny how their fans are such insufferable douche bags.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 10:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 9:28pm
Well, I'll be:
Rush is one of those groups who, while I don't care for their music, seemed decent down-to-Earth guys. It's funny how their fans are such insufferable douche bags.
Ignoring the Randian crap, of course. I remember hearing about KISS touring with them in the 70s, and while Gene et al were working the statutory rape game backstage, the Rush guys were sitting around and reading. I picture them underlining passages from Atlas Shrugged and wondering how to write songs about parasites.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 10:51pm

Ignoring the Randian crap, of course. I remember hearing about KISS touring with them in the 70s, and while Gene et al were working the statutory rape game backstage, the Rush guys were sitting around and reading. I picture them underlining passages from Atlas Shrugged and wondering how to write songs about parasites.
I would suspect their Randian leanings were Somewhat overblown. I just did a little googling and found this Peart quote from 2012,
For me, [the work of Ayn Rand] was an affirmation that it’s all right to totally believe in something and live for it and not compromise. It was a simple as that. On that 2112 album, again, I was in my early twenties. I was a kid. Now I call myself a bleeding heart libertarian. Because I do believe in the principles of libertarianism as an ideal — because I’m an idealist. Paul Theroux’s definition of a cynic is a disappointed idealist. So as you go through past your twenties, your idealism is going to be disappointed many many times. And so, I’ve brought my view and also — I’ve just realized this — libertarianism as I understood it was very good and pure and we’re all going to be successful and generous to the less fortunate and it was, to me, not dark or cynical. But then I soon saw, of course, the way that it gets twisted by the flaws of humanity. And that’s when I evolve now into . . . a bleeding-heart libertarian. That’ll do.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 10:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I would suspect their Randian leanings were Somewhat overblown. I just did a little googling and found this Peart quote from 2012,
For me, [the work of Ayn Rand] was an affirmation that it’s all right to totally believe in something and live for it and not compromise. It was a simple as that. On that 2112 album, again, I was in my early twenties. I was a kid. Now I call myself a bleeding heart libertarian. Because I do believe in the principles of libertarianism as an ideal — because I’m an idealist. Paul Theroux’s definition of a cynic is a disappointed idealist. So as you go through past your twenties, your idealism is going to be disappointed many many times. And so, I’ve brought my view and also — I’ve just realized this — libertarianism as I understood it was very good and pure and we’re all going to be successful and generous to the less fortunate and it was, to me, not dark or cynical. But then I soon saw, of course, the way that it gets twisted by the flaws of humanity. And that’s when I evolve now into . . . a bleeding-heart libertarian. That’ll do.
What an odd way to come at Rand. That is, there are so many other belief systems that validate ardent faith and action without all the other crap. It'd be like becoming a Nazi because you're a nationalist.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 7:19am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 10:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

What an odd way to come at Rand. That is, there are so many other belief systems that validate ardent faith and action without all the other crap. It'd be like becoming a Nazi because you're a nationalist.
I can't believe you got me to defend Rush and Neil Peart. I need drink.