New strummer release 2020

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: New strummer release 2020

Post by dave202 »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 7:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 7:38am
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 7:20pm
matedog wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 5:04pm
Cool. This is a different label than the one that did 001. Not sure what to expect.
If it’s 002, I hope Peter J. Moore doesn’t master it like he did on 001. I think he did a fine job of restoring tracks on 001, but a poor job mastering them. IMO, they are too loud/brickwalled to the point of distortion, most noticeable (w/o even wearing headphones) on “Trash City” and “Coma Girl.”
Agreed ...But then I know this bloke who can sort out these problems. ;)
Indeed!
Get him on the case soon! It's in everyone's best interests!

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

laxman wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 4:51pm
https://www.1051wrfs.com/2020/01/24/geo ... e-records/

"Over 45 years after George Harrison first started the Dark Horse Records imprint, the label has a new lease on life. Dark Horse, now headed up by Harrison's son Dhani Harrison and manager David Zonshine, has announced a new multi-faceted global partnership with BMG. The agreement initially brings releases from the acclaimed catalog of Dark Horse Records and his Indian label imprint HariSongs, as well as Joe Strummer’s solo catalog, including his works alongside the Mescaleros."

"Available today (January 24th) on all digital platforms, the first slate of releases includes the George Harrison produced Ravi Shankar's Chants Of India; Ravi Shankar & Ali Akbar Khan In Concert 1972; and Attitudes – Ain't Love Enough: The Best Of The Attitudes. New titles on Dark Horse includes Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros’ albums Rock Art And The X-Ray Style, Global A Go-Go, and Streetcore. Upcoming releases in 2020 include compilations, live albums, and box sets featuring rare and unreleased recordings from the Dark Horse label — many of which will be made available digitally for the first time ever."

Not sure whether the final comments refer to Joe Strummer or to other bands.
To me it reads as they will be rereleasing the 3 Meskies albums. Additionally, they will be releasing unreleased stuff from artists on Dark Horse, which may or may not include the Meskies.

I've said this for awhile now, but I think there's a reason 001 did not include any original songs from the EW era. Someone else, perhaps Dark Horse, has the rights to that material...

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

msza2 wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 10:43am
laxman wrote:

"Over 45 years after George Harrison first started the Dark Horse Records imprint, the label has a new lease on life. Dark Horse, now headed up by Harrison's son Dhani Harrison and manager David Zonshine, has announced a new multi-faceted global partnership with BMG. The agreement initially brings releases from the acclaimed catalog of Dark Horse Records and his Indian label imprint HariSongs, as well as Joe Strummer’s solo catalog, including his works alongside the Mescaleros."

"Available today (January 24th) on all digital platforms, the first slate of releases includes the George Harrison produced Ravi Shankar's Chants Of India; Ravi Shankar & Ali Akbar Khan In Concert 1972; and Attitudes – Ain't Love Enough: The Best Of The Attitudes. New titles on Dark Horse includes Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros’ albums Rock Art And The X-Ray Style, Global A Go-Go, and Streetcore. Upcoming releases in 2020 include compilations, live albums, and box sets featuring rare and unreleased recordings from the Dark Horse label — many of which will be made available digitally for the first time ever."

To me it reads as they will be rereleasing the 3 Meskies albums. Additionally, they will be releasing unreleased stuff from artists on Dark Horse, which may or may not include the Meskies.

I've said this for awhile now, but I think there's a reason 001 did not include any original songs from the EW era. Someone else, perhaps Dark Horse, has the rights to that material...
Perhaps they will be extended albums and include the outtakes, demos etc..

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

101Walterton wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 4:29pm
msza2 wrote:
laxman wrote:

Who would know ? Do we know anyone who would know ?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

white man wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 7:55am
101Walterton wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 4:29pm
msza2 wrote:
laxman wrote:

Who would know ? Do we know anyone who would know ?
BMG?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Um, yeah, EW is owned by Sony Music, or whatever corporate entity owns that. As I understand it, Sony Music also owns what was BMG, and the new BMG is a different company, but whatever.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 6:09pm
Um, yeah, EW is owned by Sony Music, or whatever corporate entity owns that. As I understand it, Sony Music also owns what was BMG, and the new BMG is a different company, but whatever.
I'd think Sony would license the EW material if someone wanted to release it on a comp?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 10:19am
I'd think Sony would license the EW material if someone wanted to release it on a comp?
Sony is particularly difficult with licensing. It could be that it was just too expensive to license something for 001, if not in terms of cash then whatever percentage may have been asked for, or that it was felt by Lucinda and company that it wasn’t worth it. The soundtracks Joe did are different contractually. EW was recorded under the revised Sony/Strummer/Clash (defined as anything Joe and Mick worked on together) deal that Gary Kurfirst negotiated for Joe. Later on, as Joe and Mick didn’t work together, Sony dropped Joe as a solo act but continued to regain rights to The Clash. Certainly the company lost a bundle on EW.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

04 Feb 2020, 5:35pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Sony is particularly difficult with licensing. It could be that it was just too expensive to license something for 001, if not in terms of cash then whatever percentage may have been asked for, or that it was felt by Lucinda and company that it wasn’t worth it. The soundtracks Joe did are different contractually. EW was recorded under the revised Sony/Strummer/Clash (defined as anything Joe and Mick worked on together) deal that Gary Kurfirst negotiated for Joe. Later on, as Joe and Mick didn’t work together, Sony dropped Joe as a solo act but continued to regain rights to The Clash. Certainly the company lost a bundle on EW.
Ride Your Donkey was used on 001, maybe as a token gesture to acknowledge EW, or something. So they have a foot in the door.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

JohnS wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 8:23am
04 Feb 2020, 5:35pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Ride Your Donkey was used on 001, maybe as a token gesture to acknowledge EW, or something. So they have a foot in the door.
A cover would have different rights though?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Heston wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 8:40am
Yeah, maybe that's why it was used. It was a weird choice for 001. But I'm sure Sony would still have some claim on the track since they owned the actual recording
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

JohnS wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 8:52am
Heston wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 8:40am
But I'm sure Sony would still have some claim on the track since they owned the actual recording
Well, Sony gets a thanks on 001.