Getting my local government feet wet tonight...

Politics and other such topical creams.
Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: Getting my local government feet wet tonight...

Post by Inder »

Good luck, WWK.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I did not get picked, but I'm okay with it.

It was an interesting process. We all had the chance to give a 2 minute introduction and were then posed a series of questions where we had the chance to give a 2 minute response. Each member then nominated a candidate (only 2 of the 8 were nominated) and they then asked a few more questions before voting on a winner.

The board members did come up and talk to me (individually) after and they said I did a really great job. The 2 who nominated candidates told me I had been their second choice.

I think they made a good pick. The candidate they chose came across as smart, experienced, and well spoken. She was also a woman of color, which is a big step in the right direction for my community. If I had been on the board I probably would have made the same decision.

Her one weak spot was that she has not been actively engaged in working towards equity and diversity in our community (and has not been actively involved in the community period) and she appeared to be unaware of the work we have already done. That said, if she can get up to speed I feel good about what she can do.

I'm planning on running for school board in April 2021. There will be 2 seats up for grabs (including this one).

The process itself wasn't great. I don't know if conducting an open interview like that was the right idea. The questions were all over the place and either too vague or too complex to answer in 2 minutes. I also didn't like that they nominated in the open without any discussion. It was very awkward.

Anyway, I'm glad I did it. It was great experience. I wasn't sure if I wanted to get involved in local politics, but this taste helped answer that question for me.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Good on you for doing it WW. As it was an open forum hopefully the selected candidate heard about what you have been doing and if she is any good will ask you for advise about it.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Next time, next time! Glad you went through it for the experience at least. Keep us updated on the future.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Ive been a bit behind in this. Nice work trying.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

My advice: Get help from the Russians.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I am running for school board!!

As some of you might recall, I applied for a board vacancy in early 2020, but was not chosen. I then kicked around the idea of running in 2021 and ultimately decided to do it.

There are 5 candidates for 2 seats. This means we will have a primary in February to cut the field down to 4. The general election is in April.

I've put together a FB page and a website to help get the word out. I also just sent over my yard sign order.

It's been a good process so far. Some tough questions from the community, but fair. I like my chances to make it past the primary. I'm a hometown kid and people know me, but more importantly, I hope they vote for me because they like my ideas.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
17 Jan 2021, 5:21pm
I am running for school board!!

As some of you might recall, I applied for a board vacancy in early 2020, but was not chosen. I then kicked around the idea of running in 2021 and ultimately decided to do it.

There are 5 candidates for 2 seats. This means we will have a primary in February to cut the field down to 4. The general election is in April.

I've put together a FB page and a website to help get the word out. I also just sent over my yard sign order.

It's been a good process so far. Some tough questions from the community, but fair. I like my chances to make it past the primary. I'm a hometown kid and people know me, but more importantly, I hope they vote for me because they like my ideas.
I hope one of your ideas is to rid your district of the Democrat-controlled child prostitution ring and, more generally, to lock people up while draining swamps.

Good luck, man!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

I've seen your posts on FB regarding this.

Good luck, dude!
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Good luck, WWK!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Thanks everyone!!

It's been fun so far.

I just got my hands on a voting list and "narrowed" it down to 4,000 unique numbers. Yikes. With 29 days until the primary, I'd have to make about 140 calls per day...which would probably be 6-7 hours worth of work.

I'm going to try and get some volunteers on board, but also might look at other voter outreach options.

What are your opinions on text messages? Those might be easier to make (especially using Google Voice). Do you find it annoying to get "political" texts? Do they feel too impersonal?

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 6:46pm
Thanks everyone!!

It's been fun so far.

I just got my hands on a voting list and "narrowed" it down to 4,000 unique numbers. Yikes. With 29 days until the primary, I'd have to make about 140 calls per day...which would probably be 6-7 hours worth of work.

I'm going to try and get some volunteers on board, but also might look at other voter outreach options.

What are your opinions on text messages? Those might be easier to make (especially using Google Voice). Do you find it annoying to get "political" texts? Do they feel too impersonal?
I much prefer the text message to calls. Because I hate talking to people.

Also, is there a link to donate?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 11:41am
WestwayKid wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 6:46pm
Thanks everyone!!

It's been fun so far.

I much prefer the text message to calls. Because I hate talking to people.

Also, is there a link to donate?
My dad is involved with the Milwaukee County Dems, so he's going to help me narrow down the list. Our own Flex (who has been giving me some great tips), mentioned it's important to reach the right people...those who have a history of voting in school board elections, for instance.

I'm going to make calls, but I'm really considering also using text messages. My hope is between the two I can reach a good portion of the list!!

Here's my website: www.chris4greendale.com - there is a donation link on the site :).

It's been an enjoyable journey so far.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 2:28pm
I'm going to make calls, but I'm really considering also using text messages. My hope is between the two I can reach a good portion of the list!!
You could try splitting it up, calling people 50+ and texting the under 50s (or something along those lines).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 2:39pm
WestwayKid wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 2:28pm
You could try splitting it up, calling people 50+ and texting the under 50s (or something along those lines).
That's a great idea.