The Cricket Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by oliver »

BitterTom wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 5:28pm
My first memories watching cricket. Remember Donald's aggression vividly. This is what test matches are about, passion and excitement, fantastic to watch.

For that last delivery, I think the man at first slip might have made the catch if he wasn't already up and celebrating.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

laxman wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 6:48pm
BitterTom wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 6:03pm
laxman wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 5:57pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

I was there for this. England v West Indies. Old Trafford 1976. I think it was my first ever trip to a Test match. Absolutely brutal.
Similar feel to my clip.

Though a lot more dangerous, where are the helmets?! "He's hurt!" No bloody surprise!
Pre helmets. Both openers nearly 40 years old, basically thrown in there because they were tough and no-one else could hack it. From memory, Holding bowled overs, 8 maidens that evening. His run up was so long that he looked like he was kick starting off the sightscreen! They both survived through to stumps, but as soon as one of them was out in the morning they were all out.Search out the Oval test from that year. Last test of the series. The ground was parched, it was the hottest Summer for ages back then, water bans etc, and Holding took loads of wickets on a very fast pitch.
Great memories, just goes to show how much the game has changed as well! Do you still go to the odd game?

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

BitterTom wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 8:49pm
laxman wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
laxman wrote:

I was there for this. England v West Indies. Old Trafford 1976. I think it was my first ever trip to a Test match. Absolutely brutal.
Similar feel to my clip.

Though a lot more dangerous, where are the helmets?! "He's hurt!" No bloody surprise!
Pre helmets. Both openers nearly 40 years old, basically thrown in there because they were tough and no-one else could hack it. From memory, Holding bowled overs, 8 maidens that evening. His run up was so long that he looked like he was kick starting off the sightscreen! They both survived through to stumps, but as soon as one of them was out in the morning they were all out.Search out the Oval test from that year. Last test of the series. The ground was parched, it was the hottest Summer for ages back then, water bans etc, and Holding took loads of wickets on a very fast pitch.
Great memories, just goes to show how much the game has changed as well! Do you still go to the odd game?
I haven't been to a Test match for a while. Not quite sure why (although Old Trafford has had less games in recent years) because it is always a great day. Do you?

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

laxman wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 3:49am
BitterTom wrote:
laxman wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
laxman wrote:

Similar feel to my clip.

I haven't been to a Test match for a while. Not quite sure why (although Old Trafford has had less games in recent years) because it is always a great day. Do you?
Only ever seen Glamorgan play a county championship game, majority of it was rained off as well. :rolleyes:

Now I'm up here I hope to go to Old Trafford to at least watch Lancashire, and hopefully a test as well would be fantastic.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

BitterTom wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 6:01pm
laxman wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
laxman wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Similar feel to my clip.

Only ever seen Glamorgan play a county championship game, majority of it was rained off as well. :rolleyes:

Now I'm up here I hope to go to Old Trafford to at least watch Lancashire, and hopefully a test as well would be fantastic.
Wouldn’t mind watching a day of Lancs in the County Championship. Give me a shout if you are going. One of the last times I was there was to see the Mescaleros!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

laxman wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 6:10pm
BitterTom wrote:
laxman wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
laxman wrote:

Wouldn’t mind watching a day of Lancs in the County Championship. Give me a shout if you are going. One of the last times I was there was to see the Mescaleros!
Certainly will do! That must've been amazing, been there once to see The Courteeners, great night.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

BitterTom wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 6:20pm
laxman wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 6:10pm
BitterTom wrote:
laxman wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Certainly will do! That must've been amazing, been there once to see The Courteeners, great night.
It was a good day. I think I have posted this before but Strummer made a googly joke that I suspect very few people got and Weller headlining was in his dad rock phase which I found a bit dull and left before the end. A shame because I am a fan of loads of his stuff.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Broad reminds the world test cricket has no place for daft T20 shots, great to watch though can't believe this was over a year ago now.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

BitterTom wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 7:55pm
Fantastic! Almost as good as the over he bowled against Ponting that was mentioned in the audio.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

FarawayTowns wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 8:08pm
BitterTom wrote:
Fantastic! Almost as good as the over he bowled against Ponting that was mentioned in the audio.
Exactly the same feel to it, test cricket at its best.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 8:09pm
FarawayTowns wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Brilliant. You can’t compare white ball or 20/20 with that!!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

101Walterton wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 8:18pm
BitterTom wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Not in a million years mate, though I fear for the future given The Hundred bollocks.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 8:19pm
101Walterton wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Not in a million years mate, though I fear for the future given The Hundred bollocks.
What’s that?

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

101Walterton wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 8:20pm
BitterTom wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 8:19pm
101Walterton wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:

What’s that?
Read and weep my friend.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hundred_(cricket)