The Cricket Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by FarawayTowns »

laxman wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 6:48pm
BitterTom wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 6:03pm
laxman wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 5:57pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

I was there for this. England v West Indies. Old Trafford 1976. I think it was my first ever trip to a Test match. Absolutely brutal.
Similar feel to my clip.

Though a lot more dangerous, where are the helmets?! "He's hurt!" No bloody surprise!
Pre helmets. Both openers nearly 40 years old, basically thrown in there because they were tough and no-one else could hack it. From memory, Holding bowled overs, 8 maidens that evening. His run up was so long that he looked like he was kick starting off the sightscreen! They both survived through to stumps, but as soon as one of them was out in the morning they were all out.Search out the Oval test from that year. Last test of the series. The ground was parched, it was the hottest Summer for ages back then, water bans etc, and Holding took loads of wickets on a very fast pitch.
I can remember watching it on a Saturday evening. I thought that one of them was going to get killed it was scary viewing. Close was a rock hard bastard infact probably delusion as to how hard in reality he really was. Allegedly he had previously said that he could beat Ali in a fight.
Also remember the Oval test. Great memories. There is book about the series called 'Grovel!' named after Greig's quote that he would make West Indies do just that. Big mistake.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 8:26pm
101Walterton wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 8:20pm
BitterTom wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 8:19pm
101Walterton wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 8:18pm
BitterTom wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 8:09pm

Exactly the same feel to it, test cricket at its best.
Brilliant. You can’t compare white ball or 20/20 with that!!
Not in a million years mate, though I fear for the future given The Hundred bollocks.
What’s that?
Read and weep my friend.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hundred_(cricket)
Absolute bollocks, isn’t that what they play at primary school?
It just dumbs down every skill.
Bowling is about a six ball over (or even a number of overs if the batsman is good enough) not about single deliveries where you are just trying to prevent the batsman hitting a 6.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

101Walterton wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 9:05pm
BitterTom wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 8:18pm

Brilliant. You can’t compare white ball or 20/20 with that!!
Not in a million years mate, though I fear for the future given The Hundred bollocks.
What’s that?
Read and weep my friend.
Bowling is about a six ball over (or even a number of overs if the batsman is good enough) not about single deliveries where you are just trying to prevent the batsman hitting a 6.
Exactly. And the idea of removing the LBW is another step into making it purely a game of whack it for 6, like you said, like a children's game. I hope test cricket will remain relevant but I'm not so sure.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 9:09pm
101Walterton wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

What’s that?
Read and weep my friend.
Exactly. And the idea of removing the LBW is another step into making it purely a game of whack it for 6, like you said, like a children's game. I hope test cricket will remain relevant but I'm not so sure.
Test cricket is the only cricket I will watch.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

101Walterton wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 9:11pm
BitterTom wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 9:09pm
101Walterton wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

What’s that?
Read and weep my friend.
Test cricket is the only cricket I will watch.
I do enjoy the odd one dayer but it's nothing compared to the real deal. Like listening to the perfect record with only one ear in.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

FarawayTowns wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 8:34pm
laxman wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 6:48pm
BitterTom wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 6:03pm
laxman wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 5:57pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

I was there for this. England v West Indies. Old Trafford 1976. I think it was my first ever trip to a Test match. Absolutely brutal.
Similar feel to my clip.

Though a lot more dangerous, where are the helmets?! "He's hurt!" No bloody surprise!
Pre helmets. Both openers nearly 40 years old, basically thrown in there because they were tough and no-one else could hack it. From memory, Holding bowled overs, 8 maidens that evening. His run up was so long that he looked like he was kick starting off the sightscreen! They both survived through to stumps, but as soon as one of them was out in the morning they were all out.Search out the Oval test from that year. Last test of the series. The ground was parched, it was the hottest Summer for ages back then, water bans etc, and Holding took loads of wickets on a very fast pitch.
I can remember watching it on a Saturday evening. I thought that one of them was going to get killed it was scary viewing. Close was a rock hard bastard infact probably delusion as to how hard in reality he really was. Allegedly he had previously said that he could beat Ali in a fight.
Also remember the Oval test. Great memories. There is book about the series called 'Grovel!' named after Greig's quote that he would make West Indies do just that. Big mistake.
It was scary. The other thing I remember is that someone ran out of the crowd with a home made very wide bat for them. I think it was Edrich that actually took it off him!

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

[/quote]

It was scary. The other thing I remember is that someone ran out of the crowd with a home made very wide bat for them. I think it was Edrich that actually took it off him!
[/quote]

Just found and watched the highlights video and it still appears intimidating even now especially as they had wore no helmets. It includes the spectator with the bat at 22.36.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Thanks very much, great to see. It reminded me of a few things;

- I had forgotten that we got to see Sir Viv get his ton.
- We were quite pleased when Brian Close dropped Clive Lloyd, because he was a Lancashire hero and we wanted to see him bat!
- Before the day's play we watched the teams warm up in the nets. Bizarre as it sounds, I'm pretty sure that the two teams were warming up together in the nets. We stood behind a net as Andy Roberts trundled in off about 6 paces before unleashing a rocket. The first my brother and I saw of it was when the batsman edged it and we dived for cover as the ball flew into the netting in front of us!

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

laxman wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 6:31pm

- We were quite pleased when Brian Close dropped Clive Lloyd, because he was a Lancashire hero and we wanted to see him bat!
- Before the day's play we watched the teams warm up in the nets. Bizarre as it sounds, I'm pretty sure that the two teams were warming up together in the nets. We stood behind a net as Andy Roberts trundled in off about 6 paces before unleashing a rocket. The first my brother and I saw of it was when the batsman edged it and we dived for cover as the ball flew into the netting in front of us!
Great memories.
I was fortunate enough to see King Viv bat a few times including score a century for West Indies v Australia in the 1983 World Cup. Best batsman I ever saw.
Looking back the '76 West Indies tour of England has a nice symmetry with Clash history. The West Indies Oval test win was only a fortnight before the Notting Hill Carnival riot.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

FarawayTowns wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 5:23pm
laxman wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 6:31pm

Great memories.
I was fortunate enough to see King Viv bat a few times including score a century for West Indies v Australia in the 1983 World Cup. Best batsman I ever saw.
Looking back the '76 West Indies tour of England has a nice symmetry with Clash history. The West Indies Oval test win was only a fortnight before the Notting Hill Carnival riot.
He was class, plus one of the best struts ever. Malcolm Marshall was pretty good at that too, even when he batted one handed!

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

[/quote]

He was class, plus one of the best struts ever. Malcolm Marshall was pretty good at that too, even when he batted one handed!
[/quote]

Viv walking from the pavilion to the wicket always reminded me of a boxer making his way to the ring.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

BitterTom wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 6:08pm
Oh dear!

101Walterton