The Clash observations thread.

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Clash observations thread.

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 5:55am
Marky Dread wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 5:37am
muppet hi fi wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 8:09pm
Low Down Low wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 6:48pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 6:33pm
Greil Marcus comments on NPR about 'London Calling' 40 years later. Some may find him obtuse or downright annoying at times, but I've always thought he was a great writer who thinks and feels deeply.

"I wouldn't change anything. The Clash, from the beginning, presented themselves as a revolutionary band. Take the most minor provocations or insults or humiliations and make statements about them through their music, pump them up with emotion, and fear, and a sense of jeopardy and a sense of defiance that created songs that made the people listening to them feel bigger, as if they were living in a bigger world where nothing was trivial."
That's great, love it. "It's bottomless. It doesn't wear out," would sum up my own feelings on LC perfectly. I just love to see it get the respect it deserves.
Right. And this:
" There's a wonderful sense that life is a struggle, and that the struggle justifies itself; that only when you're in touch with a sense of struggle are you in touch with, let's say, humor, delight, pain, suffering, anger, whatever."
I read Lipstick Traces a long time ago now but boy does he know how to babble on.
Maybe he suffers from anxiety, because that's what babble on's burning with ;)
Where the hell is babble on?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Olaf wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 11:07am
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 6:48pm

That's great, love it. "It's bottomless. It doesn't wear out," would sum up my own feelings on LC perfectly. I just love to see it get the respect it deserves.
Right. And this:
" There's a wonderful sense that life is a struggle, and that the struggle justifies itself; that only when you're in touch with a sense of struggle are you in touch with, let's say, humor, delight, pain, suffering, anger, whatever."
I read Lipstick Traces a long time ago now but boy does he know how to babble on.
"Babble on, Bernie..."
It’s Bernie the streets
Bernie the houses
With anxiety

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 5:13pm
Olaf wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 11:07am
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Right. And this:
"Babble on, Bernie..."
It’s Bernie the streets
Bernie the houses
With anxiety
Bernie down the house!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

It's finally on Deezer!
Attachments
Screenshot_20200228-213541_Deezer.jpg

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

BitterTom wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 5:36pm
It's finally on Deezer!
CTC amusement aside, whats the deal with Deezer?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Some time back now Matedog realised that "This Is England" was sped up. I've been playing the album in the last few days and realised that the whole album has been sped up.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Flex wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 12:17am
BitterTom wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 5:36pm
It's finally on Deezer!
CTC amusement aside, whats the deal with Deezer?
It's basically Spotify, think it's the same price as well but think I remember reading the sound quality was better with Deezer so I've always stuck with it.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 8:36am
Some time back now Matedog realised that "This Is England" was sped up. I've been playing the album in the last few days and realised that the whole album has been sped up.
I asked about it at the time but the consensus response was that only TIE was sped up. What tracks sound sped up to you?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 10:23am
Marky Dread wrote:
I asked about it at the time but the consensus response was that only TIE was sped up. What tracks sound sped up to you?
I used to play along to it with my guitar, and from memory, everything seemed to be in tune except This Is England. Varispeeding always changed the pitch of the song back then.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Everything even the B-sides. If you slow it down by 2-2.5 percent then you can hear how natural Joe's vocal sounds. Also those horrible radio samples on Dictator are now at the correct speed.

Listen back to Three Card Trick at the correct speed makes a hell of a difference.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 11:12am
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I used to play along to it with my guitar, and from memory, everything seemed to be in tune except This Is England. Varispeeding always changed the pitch of the song back then.
Seriously mate I'm telling you the whole thing is sped up. Three Card Trick sounds awesome at the correct speed and Joe's vocals are some of his best ever.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 11:15am
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Seriously mate I'm telling you the whole thing is sped up. Three Card Trick sounds awesome at the correct speed and Joe's vocals are some of his best ever.
I take your word mate, years since I played along with it. i will investigate further over the weekend.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Hello,

Marky, I always appreciate your postings and realize it take a ton of time .... but could you post a couple of tracks at the correct speed?
Last edited by gkbill on 29 Feb 2020, 4:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 1:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Hello,

Marry, I always appreciate your postings and realize it take a ton of time .... but could you post a couple of tracks at the correct speed?
Hopefully this will work.
https://mega.nz/#!T11AyIzC!VDZ-_6UzhG48 ... VPjaSX1yPQ

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 4:06pm
gkbill wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 1:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:

Hello,

Marry, I always appreciate your postings and realize it take a ton of time .... but could you post a couple of tracks at the correct speed?
Hopefully this will work.
https://mega.nz/#!T11AyIzC!VDZ-_6UzhG48 ... VPjaSX1yPQ
Hello Marky,

Thanks! Although it's only a few seconds added to each song, I can hear/feel a difference in Are You Red..Y and Three Card Trick (not as much in North & South). Joe doesn't sound as frantic (frantic in a bad way). The guitars in the beginning of Are You Red...Y are a bit different as well.