So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 4:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 7:49pm
Yesterday, on the plane, I listened to the most recent version of 154 (the deluxe edition) and was entranced all over again by its icy and dark beauty. And it got me thinking about why more recent Wire records sound, as I've suggested, only Wire-ish. Today, while walking and doing errands, I listened to the self-titled album, which I rate rather well, as a comparison. A big part of it is, I think, the absence of tension and nervousness or edginess. Both the music but especially CN's voice is just so much smoother. It's not exactly relaxing, but the current style of the band just glides in delivery, whereas the 1970s band was all kinds of stops and starts and, often, clipped speech. I think that's what I miss from the current band. And, fair enough, they're old buggers who are feeling okay with their legacy and all that, but the records only serve to elevate that initial blast of crearivity.
Maybe this is over harsh after all Wire are still making decent albums worth listening to at this stage. But it feels like they are too comfortable being Wire if that makes sense.
My explanation for this is almost always that bands of a certain age would much rather get home for dinner and the kids (or whatever) than stay in the studio another three hours and experiment. I know the feeling myself, and I'm only 37 (though I can still resist myself). Life's comforts are more appealing than grinding your brain against a song that is good enough.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wir wasn't that well received at the time, but that stuff sounds better and better.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Doc, if this isn't coming out on CD, could you do me the honor of sending me WAV or AIFF files when you have time?

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2020/0 ... bf2b213pEE

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 6:59pm
Doc, if this isn't coming out on CD, could you do me the honor of sending me WAV or AIFF files when you have time?

I have the original Strays ("side 1") and can upload. This release, tho, I'll either be waiting for a post-RSD release and/or pirate source. But, certainly, I'll help you out.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 7:34pm
Kory wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 6:59pm

I have the original Strays ("side 1") and can upload. This release, tho, I'll either be waiting for a post-RSD release and/or pirate source. But, certainly, I'll help you out.
Oh shoot, I didn't recall that you had sent Strays to me already. Thanks from the past!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just told my buddy that I'm passing on Wire's gig here on Saturday. Just don't feel right about possibly becoming a carrier by putting myself in a crowded situation like that.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 8:05am
Just told my buddy that I'm passing on Wire's gig here on Saturday. Just don't feel right about possibly becoming a carrier by putting myself in a crowded situation like that.
It's interesting how different people are handling this. I don't have any concerts lined up, but I'm at the point where I'd probably make the same decision as you. That said, my Facebook feed had several posts last night from friends who attended a sold out Lumineers concert at the Fiserv Forum (where the Bucks play). The place was packed. I could make a case that nobody should ever see the Lumineers in concert ;) , but on a serious level it appears that not many people decided to stay home.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 9:26am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's interesting how different people are handling this. I don't have any concerts lined up, but I'm at the point where I'd probably make the same decision as you. That said, my Facebook feed had several posts last night from friends who attended a sold out Lumineers concert at the Fiserv Forum (where the Bucks play). The place was packed. I could make a case that nobody should ever see the Lumineers in concert ;) , but on a serious level it appears that not many people decided to stay home.
Someone on the Wire board said their show last night in Brooklyn was only half full. If the hipsters are staying in, you know this is serious. Luckily my friend came to the same conclusion as me last night, so he's not pissed at me for backing out. If the show is cancelled I could get my money back, but otherwise it's one more contribution to their bank account.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 9:26am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Our governor has banned gatherings of 250 or more. A lot of the dudebros are saying we need to "remove this clown from office" because he's fucking up their metal show plans.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Wires announced fall dates. Seattle on 10 October.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 2:39pm
The Wires announced fall dates. Seattle on 10 October.
Hope things are settled by then. I (possibly) have TMBG and Nick Cave that month too.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 10:08pm
Thanks for this, Docs. I like the stripped-down sound, it's like Wire playing in your living room and I hope it's a small compensation for the missed gig!
We'll have to see what happens with their other shows.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

And a teaser from 10:20:

While it's more listenable than the Manscape version, I'm not sure it's better. The original has more vital bite, the music matching the lyrics.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

And the shows in Ottawa and Toronto have been canceled. I wonder if they were worried about being to get back into the US if they popped up north for a few days. Anyway, that eliminates any doubts or second guessing, and I get my money back.

edit: Nope, the remaining shows after that in Austin were also canceled. They hope to reschedule when they come back in the fall.