101Walterton
The Best

Re: Punk … for credit

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 7:51am
Low Down Low wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 7:32am
Can think of only a handful of novels that have dealt thematically with punk, the best probably Human Punk by John King. As for punk sensibility, kind of struggling a bit too. Irvine Welsh perhaps or Iain Banks? Wondering did punk leave that much of a mark at all, on the mainstream anyway? Something like ballard, as recently mentioned here, might fit the bill but more as an influencer of punk than being influenced by it. Interesting question.
The King novel looks very promising for a sweeping consideration, based on the synopsis I read. Maybe even the kind of thing to start a course with. Thanks, LDL and Marky!

I thought of Welsh, too, and will probably do some skimming. I have this on interlibrary loan to see if it has promise.
Human Punk is a good book.
I enjoyed all John King’s books, very real.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 2:32pm
Marky Dread wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 2:14pm
Just make sure you tell your students that the Sex Pistols were a fun group and NOT a political group.
Steve Jones has his opinions about the band, Lydon and McLaren had other opinions. I know you side with Steve on this, but you have to ignore a lot of lyrics and interviews and promotional material to conclude there was nothing political about the group. The correct answer, tho, is that they were both. Or, rather, they were political and therapeutic (fun, venting, etc).
No I don't side just with Steve on this at all Doc. There are interviews with Steve, Paul and John where Rotten states Anarchy in the U.K. is not about political anarchy but musical anarchy. He also says that political anarchy does not work.

I could upload clips if you like.

Malcolm may well have had other ideas with situationism being his and Jamie Reid's big thing. In the early 70s Jamie worked with something called the Suburban Press where he would press up stickers and signs saying "save petrol burn cars" and other signs inviting people to steal from shops etc.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 3:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Just make sure you tell your students that the Sex Pistols were a fun group and NOT a political group.
Steve Jones has his opinions about the band, Lydon and McLaren had other opinions. I know you side with Steve on this, but you have to ignore a lot of lyrics and interviews and promotional material to conclude there was nothing political about the group. The correct answer, tho, is that they were both. Or, rather, they were political and therapeutic (fun, venting, etc).
No I don't side just with Steve on this at all Doc. There are interviews with Steve, Paul and John where Rotten states Anarchy in the U.K. is not about political anarchy but musical anarchy. He also says that political anarchy does not work.

Malcolm may well have had other ideas with situationism being his and Jamie Reid's big thing. In the early 70s Jamie worked with something called the Suburban Press where he would press up stickers and signs saying "save petrol burn cars" and other signs inviting people to steal from shops etc.
Steve has a way of cutting through all the myth, legend and bullshit and just say what happened without dressing it up as something else.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 3:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Steve has a way of cutting through all the myth, legend and bullshit and just say what happened without dressing it up as something else.
Looking back Steve was sharp when it came to being streetwise and surviving. But he was clueless about politics and was only ever interested sex. The Pistols got him exactly what he wanted at the time.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

The essence of the Pistols is, as SM mentioned upthread, libertarianism. It's not about a political program, but it's still political.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 3:22pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Looking back Steve was sharp when it came to being streetwise and surviving. But he was clueless about politics and was only ever interested sex. The Pistols got him exactly what he wanted at the time.
Matlock was only interested in being a pop star and Cooky was just enjoying the fun with Steve.
That only leaves Johnny and Malcolm?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 3:34pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Matlock was only interested in being a pop star and Cooky was just enjoying the fun with Steve.
Malcolm didn't write the songs. Don't agree that Matlock wanted to be a pop star as such but he wasn't afraid of success either.
Steve and Paul were typical lads about town and were indeed in it for the crack. John role was about survival as he had little going for him until he was fortunate enough to get asked into the band by error.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 3:54pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Malcolm didn't write the songs. Don't agree that Matlock wanted to be a pop star as such but he wasn't afraid of success either.
Steve and Paul were typical lads about town and were indeed in it for the crack. John role was about survival as he had little going for him until he was fortunate enough to get asked into the band by error.
Matlock was more into the music than the rest was what I meant.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 4:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 3:54pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Matlock was more into the music than the rest was what I meant.
I don't know mate they were all into their music. Maybe you are trying to say Matlock cared a bit more and was more earnest?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

One of my ideas for thinking about punk cinema is to show Penelope Spheeris' Suburbia, not mainly because of the subject matter but because of Spheeris. Another possibility is something by Scott B and Beth B or other early No Wave filmmakers. Any other ideas along the lines of punk filmmaking?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 4:39pm
One of my ideas for thinking about punk cinema is to show Penelope Spheeris' Suburbia, not mainly because of the subject matter but because of Spheeris. Another possibility is something by Scott B and Beth B or other early No Wave filmmakers. Any other ideas along the lines of punk filmmaking?
I assume you're referring to Scott Baio. While he gets plenty of praise (deservedly so) for his work on Happy Days and the much underrated spin off Joanie Loves Chachi I feel he didn't truly cone into his own until his work with Willie Ames on Charles in Charge.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 4:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I assume you're referring to Scott Baio. While he gets plenty of praise (deservedly so) for his work on Happy Days and the much underrated spin off Joanie Loves Chachi I feel he didn't truly cone into his own until his work with Willie Ames on Charles in Charge.
Wah wah wah!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Um, VH is not punk. :shifty:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 5:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Um, VH is not punk. :shifty:
Wait, you're married to Scott Baio?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Just out of curiosity what is your starting reference for Punk?

Will you be including The VU and stuff like Valerie Solanas S.C.U.M. ?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia