Association Football Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by oliver »

tosh wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 1:17am
What does this mean for people who’s best moment of a rival club is Gerrard’s slip if Man City get a points reduction for 2014?

I know it might make it one of my favourite moments for sure.
I think you miss the point a little bit. Docking Man City, let's say 3 points, and rearranging the table to put Liverpool top is more cruel than anything since not only did you not get to enjoy a title win at the time, you also had to endure a summer of "what if" and "if only"

I guess you'd get to say it's now 19 league titles instead of 18 but you've lost the visceral moment of actually doing it and it will always be marked with an asterisk.

Gerrard slipping, after saying this does not slip, will never not be funny, regardless of what happens.

Think of it this way... when John Terry slipped in the 2010 CL final and missed the penalty, it hurt for a long time. But I can see how Man United fans will never not love it - even if it's revealed that all their players were on PEDs or something. It also made the 2012 CL win sweeter.

Truth be told, I'm hoping Liverpool can go this season unbeaten and shut the Arsenal fans up about being invincible
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

tosh
Long Time Jerk

Post by tosh »

I think you miss the point a little bit

Why yes, you sure did

tosh
Long Time Jerk

Post by tosh »

Nose of God

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

What now?
Only way to resolve this is to play the games but has to be concluded by end of June to nominate teams for next season’s European competitions.
No team should be given anything unless mathematically concluded including titles, promotion, relegation, survival etc.
In the case of EPL that means every league position because every position receives different prize money.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

101Walterton wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 4:26pm
What now?
Only way to resolve this is to play the games but has to be concluded by end of June to nominate teams for next season’s European competitions.
No team should be given anything unless mathematically concluded including titles, promotion, relegation, survival etc.
In the case of EPL that means every league position because every position receives different prize money.
I agree. If it can't be completed by July, the leagues need to be declared null and void and then find the least worst solution to go forward with a new season.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

oliver wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 6:16pm
101Walterton wrote:
What now?
I agree. If it can't be completed by July, the leagues need to be declared null and void and then find the least worst solution to go forward with a new season.
I am still hoping they can cram it in playing 2 games a week now Euros are cancelled. No one wants a null and void it is equally unfair on teams like Leeds pushing for promotion (and spending accordingly).

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 8:02pm
oliver wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
What now?
I am still hoping they can cram it in playing 2 games a week now Euros are cancelled. No one wants a null and void it is equally unfair on teams like Leeds pushing for promotion (and spending accordingly).
Not sure. Think it might be better for leeds fans to embrace victimhood than to actually go through with the season and see their team bottle it at the end once more.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 8:06pm
101Walterton wrote:
oliver wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
What now?
Not sure. Think it might be better for leeds fans to embrace victimhood than to actually go through with the season and see their team bottle it at the end once more.
Leeds currently top of the Championship? I'm definitely all in on a null and void season now.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

oliver wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 8:46am
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
oliver wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
What now?
Leeds currently top of the Championship? I'm definitely all in on a null and void season now.
Ha, yeah! I think they were top this time last year too and didnt make it, one point last 4 or 5 games iirc. Round xmas they were 10+ points clear or summat like that this time. Leeds always find a way, as us long suffering supporters can attest 😣

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Low Down Low wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 9:23am
oliver wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
oliver wrote:

Ha, yeah! I think they were top this time last year too and didnt make it, one point last 4 or 5 games iirc. Round xmas they were 10+ points clear or summat like that this time. Leeds always find a way, as us long suffering supporters can attest 😣
I joke but TBH, I'd kind of like to see Leeds promoted because I do like Bielsa. I grew up with my Dad telling me stories of the Chelsea/Leeds rivalry but it was a different era so it was never as intense for me.

One of my first football memories was Chelsea beating Leeds 5-0 to get promotion in 84/85 and the Leeds fans in the away end destroying the electronic scoreboard. It never worked right after that.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

oliver wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 9:53am
Low Down Low wrote:
oliver wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

I joke but TBH, I'd kind of like to see Leeds promoted because I do like Bielsa. I grew up with my Dad telling me stories of the Chelsea/Leeds rivalry but it was a different era so it was never as intense for me.

One of my first football memories was Chelsea beating Leeds 5-0 to get promotion in 84/85 and the Leeds fans in the away end destroying the electronic scoreboard. It never worked right after that.
I'm sure i read the history behind the leeds-chelsea rivalry but I've forgotten it and it remains a bit of a mystery to me. I actually turned up at the bridge in 1991, heading blithely for the shed end in my yellow leeds away kit until one of my companions produced a shirt and commanded me to cover the damn thing up for fucks sake! Carl Shutt scored only goal of the game which i barely saw as the shed was so far back from the goal.

Even as a fan notwithstanding, its just crazy a one club city like leeds is languishing outside the top. Just hardly makes no sense at all. Bielsa might be the key, but we've been down this road before!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 10:11am
oliver wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
oliver wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I'm sure i read the history behind the leeds-chelsea rivalry but I've forgotten it and it remains a bit of a mystery to me. I actually turned up at the bridge in 1991, heading blithely for the shed end in my yellow leeds away kit until one of my companions produced a shirt and commanded me to cover the damn thing up for fucks sake! Carl Shutt scored only goal of the game which i barely saw as the shed was so far back from the goal.

Even as a fan notwithstanding, its just crazy a one club city like leeds is languishing outside the top. Just hardly makes no sense at all. Bielsa might be the key, but we've been down this road before!
I went to Elland Road once as a United supporter 😳

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 3:54pm
Low Down Low wrote:
oliver wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
oliver wrote:

Welcome to (H)elland Road 😈

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 4:24pm
101Walterton wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 3:54pm
Low Down Low wrote:
oliver wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Welcome to (H)elland Road 😈
Outside of my days in lower leagues following Oxford United next worse experience!!!